Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Loch Ness monster

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:48 AM

View PostU. N.Owen, on 12 November 2011 - 01:37 AM, said:

(never, incidentally, rely on Wikipedia as your ONLY source of information: Rule One in any serious research!)

You say that like the information was false.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#47    OnlineCriticChick

OnlineCriticChick

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

• "I am not a word, I am not a line. I am not a girl who could ever be defined" N. Minaj

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:41 AM

SHMITTHEAD- I Totally Agree!

#48    bookwormwen

bookwormwen

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

• "I will not set fire to myself to keep you warm."

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:12 AM

It could be anything, really.  There isn't much scale to work with, is there?  It could be fish, rocks, garbage in the water...Nessie would be close to the bottom of the list of possibilities.

#49    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,111 posts

• Oops.

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:43 AM

The only real evidence that can be used at Loch Ness is the sonar findings... and they're inconclusive. The better, and later, sonar scans don't find the same shapes earlier did, and sonar can represent schools of fish as large objects.

It's worth noting to that the geology of Loch Ness doesn't support the idea of caves, and intense mappings of the Loch have not revealed any caves.
Many sightings seem to be of phantom waves, caused by the wedge shape of the lake reflecting boat wake back up to the surface.
(Similar to another famous glacier lake Lake Champlain, where similar sightings occur.)

Simply put sightings are not reliable.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#50    zednuts

zednuts

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

• Ordinary Person

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:16 AM

View Postskookum, on 10 November 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

Looking at the famous surgeons photo it amazes me how quickly we accept something is a fake.  I mean the person who took the picture and was there never said it was a fake, yet anybody who comes forward after and claims fake it is case closed.  

This just shows how the odds are of finding evidence are against you. Not only will you be ridiculed from the beginning you will have armies of people trying to reconstruct a situation to make you out to be a liar.  Once you die that is it, only one person has to come forward and say you told them you faked it and then it becomes concrete proof.

It is a shame an equal number of people could not come forward and test scenario's to see if a picture could be feasible.

Hi skookum,

I thought the surgeon's photo was pretty well debunked as a swimmer with arm raised. Interesting/Fun thread guys. I remember all the sonar work on Loch Ness and the controvercy surrounding much of it.

cheers zedNuts, revisiting the mysteries of his youth.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#51    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:20 PM

View Postzednuts, on 17 November 2011 - 09:16 AM, said:

Hi skookum,

I thought the surgeon's photo was pretty well debunked as a swimmer with arm raised. Interesting/Fun thread guys. I remember all the sonar work on Loch Ness and the controvercy surrounding much of it.

cheers zedNuts, revisiting the mysteries of his youth.

Posted Image

The picture they show is just a zoom in of the whole picture.  When you see the whole thing it looks far more compelling.  You get some scale on it.  The people who have reconstructed it have only done a picture showing a small piece of water like the zoomed in version we are always shown.  when you see the whole picture it is not near to shore at all.  

That Scottish guy who is always trying to debunk it made me laugh, he stuck a bit of pipe on a piece of wood and took a picture 3 feet from the shore.  Apparently that is absolute proof it was fake.

Posted Image

#52    Swadwa

Swadwa

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 81 posts

• "My God, man. How long have I been here? Am I really awake, or am I just dreamin' I'm awake? How could my plans have gone so wrong?"

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:05 AM

If he was taking a picture of the rainbow, why isn't it centered in the picture???

#53    SewerRat

SewerRat

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

Nessie was first spotted by the Vikings - Celtic and Norse folklore has stories of water horses seen in the lochs. The first written account of a meeting with Nessie seems to be that of Adamnan in 565 A.D. He describes St. Columba's sighting of a very large monster in Loch Ness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users