Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A big increase in UFO reports this year?

septic peg

According to this article we've had a big increase in sightings this year, tho they do allow for multiple reports maybe putting the count erroneously higher!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44555210/ns/technology_and_science-science/#.TnQaXOyKLXQ

And, 7 Things That Create Convincing UFO Sightings:

http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/7-ways-to-generate-a-great-space-hoax-1149/4

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• septic peg

• 27vet

• booNyzarC

• Space Commander Travis

Isn't that what they say every year?

Yeah, it is, and in my honest opinion this "increase" in UFO sightings is more is more an indication of the proliferation of broadband internet connections and the increased ease of reporting such sightings rather than an actual increase in sightings.

Naturally, I could be wrong and I shall be the first to admit that I have not done any research into the statistics of this, but it just sounds like the plausible explanation to me.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Yeah, it is, and in my honest opinion this "increase" in UFO sightings is more is more an indication of the proliferation of broadband internet connections and the increased ease of reporting such sightings rather than an actual increase in sightings.

Naturally, I could be wrong and I shall be the first to admit that I have not done any research into the statistics of this, but it just sounds like the plausible explanation to me.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Yep agreed, and certainly in the UK Im not aware of a big increase, or even any increase, or if there has been, its not made the local news

Yeah, it is, and in my honest opinion this "increase" in UFO sightings is more is more an indication of the proliferation of broadband internet connections

i'm not sure whether that's a good sign...

http://memebase.com/2011/09/16/memes-internet-husband-you-can-explain-that/

;)

Lol. Interesting, I really did think Venus was a UFO last night no joke. But then I was like: Uhhh wait a minute... A) It's not moving at all and B ) I forgot (but was reminded by my mom) that the planet Venus happened to be that close to the sun. xD

Edit: I knew it would do that sunglasses smiley. Lol.

Edited by Dataslayer

Yep agreed, and certainly in the UK Im not aware of a big increase, or even any increase, or if there has been, its not made the local news

I am not aware of any increase as well, but in the end I think it is good that the reporting is increasing, despite the fact that a lot of it is less than interesting. The more "data" the better. :)

Cheers,

Badeskov

i'm not sure whether that's a good sign...

http://memebase.com/...n-explain-that/

;)

Hey mcrom,

I have to say that I have come to enjoy your posts a lot. It took me quite quite a while to get into your posting style, but now I think I got the hang of it :tu:

Cheers,

Badeskov

I have to say that I have come to enjoy your posts a lot. It took me quite quite a while to get into your posting style, but now I think I got the hang of it :tu:

cheers badeskov... i know my pov can be offsetting at times, but do appreciate your kind comments & take on different matters as well... thanks :tu:

Lots of Virgin Marys showing up on toast, Jesus' face on toilet paper, and Elvis sightings as well. Seems to correspond closely with the rise of the Tea Party. Coincidence?

Lots of Virgin Marys showing up on toast, Jesus' face on toilet paper, and Elvis sightings as well. Seems to correspond closely with the rise of the Tea Party. Coincidence?

you forgot the bird-men on mars too!

My take is there are lots of misidentifications happening, and lots of storys. Really solid cases are far and few between. Then we have the hoaxers trying to get noticed with their lies. The internet makes this all easier but appreciate this site for keeping them honest.

Isn't that what they say every year?

it's a sign of 2012. :yes:

My take is there are lots of misidentifications happening, and lots of storys. Really solid cases are far and few between. Then we have the hoaxers trying to get noticed with their lies. The internet makes this all easier but appreciate this site for keeping them honest.

You can say that again! Round my area, east midlands, you're starting to see a lot more Chinese lanterns being set off, one reason being I think, is they now are sold in the pound shops, so they are easily available....to the kids or whoever buys them. Ive almost been caught out with them myself, inasmuch as you see a bright orange light in the sky at night and have to observe it before dismissing it as a lantern. Fortunately tho they all seem to be orange. Plus the kids tend to set 3 or 4 off at once, which kind of gives it away especially if you can see them rise from the same spot.

This however has muddied the waters with a sighting 'I' had about 6 months ago...having been up half the night surfing etc, I opened my back door to the garden for a final cigarette...about 4.30am. I noted immediately a bright orange, low hanging, stationary light... now I try keep my cam close to the back door all the time, in case I ever see anything, and I was hastily grabbing it and keeping an eye on the light, just as I was ready for a shot, this light 'zoomed' upwards in an arc right over, it seemed, where I was stood, it went so fast I couldn't even follow it with my cam, it really did move too, then was gone...

Heart beating fast....straining to see if it was still visible, but no, it had gone.

Now due to seeing lost of lanterns, it looked like one in terms of colour. But all the lanterns Ive ever seen have 'floated' about, and not 'zoomed' off so quickly

So was it a ufo, or lantern? I will never know. And one thing that nags me about the lantern issue is, it was 4.30am, and the place where I originally saw it hanging in the sky, was a wide area of wasteland, with no buildings in that vicinity. Which makes me think kids wouldn't have been in that location, and certainly not at 4.30.

You could almost think lanterns are being sold on purpose to blur the reality of what is sometimes seen, in respect of real ufo's! Because now - the first thing most people say, is "Oh thats just a lantern"....And maybe... but the one I saw moved so damned quick though...

I think the increased sightings is more of a reflection of the times than more ufo's visiting earth.It's become more of the 'norm' to report such events. In the past people were looked upon as strange or crazy so they kept sightings to themselves.

Not saying there more alien craft coming to Earth but im not buying the movies theory, Maybe that was true back in 50s and 60s but there tons of alien stuff out there in movie sand TV today.

Edited by ohio state buckeyes

Not saying there more alien craft coming to Earth but im not buying the movies theory, Maybe that was true back in 50s and 60s but there tons of alien stuff out there in movie sand TV today.

And lets not forget, most people have excellent cams and vid-cams on their mobile phones today..meaning a person is always literally prepared for any sighting.

The scientific explanation is that 50 years ago, they had x technology. Now they have x + 50 years technology, and are able to make more frequent visits.

The scientific explanation is that 50 years ago, they had x technology. Now they have x + 50 years technology, and are able to make more frequent visits.

what???

if there really are extra terrestrial visitors coming here, i wish they would just freakin show themselves publicly already. it's kinda starting to p*** me off

what???

Well, their technology would be 50 years more advanced now, wouldn't it; and if their technology was hundreds of years in advance of ours to start with, it might be possible to do routinely now what they only did on a tentative basis then.

Hypothetically.

Well, their technology would be 50 years more advanced now, wouldn't it; and if their technology was hundreds of years in advance of ours to start with, it might be possible to do routinely now what they only did on a tentative basis then.

Hypothetically.

first of all you cant calculate their time same as ours ( time and space + dimension ... ). Their 50years could be to them like to us, humans , 500years or even 5000years . Also you have to take in consideration , that every technology or race are exponentialy growing,

so even if they are in same time, space and dimension like us , those 50years are surely not like our 50years ( by tecnology development ).

So better formula would be xN ( N are years ).

Interesting topic btw ! I see a lot of UFO in my region as well . I have captured one on my camera, but the problem is , that my camera is bloody old and its analog ... cant convert it to digital :(

Well we had a sighting in our country LOL! Formation of 5 orange lights was hovering for around 5minutes above a small village out on countryside. It vanished, didnt move away, but instantly gone. Weird i dont recall any weird lights,sightings whatsoever in my country in whole history... Alot of people saw it and local newspaper wrote about. So it couldnt have been any US top secret project or anyone else's. Since we are small country, thats what counts here, and we dont have any technology to do that. I'll dig some info and post it.

Well we had a sighting in our country LOL! Formation of 5 orange lights was hovering for around 5minutes above a small village out on countryside. It vanished, didnt move away, but instantly gone. Weird i dont recall any weird lights,sightings whatsoever in my country in whole history... Alot of people saw it and local newspaper wrote about. So it couldnt have been any US top secret project or anyone else's. Since we are small country, thats what counts here, and we dont have any technology to do that. I'll dig some info and post it.

Hi Nuke_em

Which country are you in? Orange lights...yeh I had one of those sightings not long back, but as I said in another post the unfortunate thing is, Chinese lanterns tend to be orange too, and in the UK Ive seen plenty of them, so its makes any other orange UFO hard to distinguish, but lets hope no-one is setting lanterns off where you live!!