Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

American Horror Story

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#136    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

http://www.flavorwir...-story-season-3

Renewed for season three .Jessica Lange to return

Miss me?

#137    RavenEyes19

RavenEyes19

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

I'm enjoying this season. Jessica Lange was fantastic as Constance, but I actually like her character better this season. Sister Jude seems much more complex and I think her character will be developed a lot throughout the season.
It took me awhile to get into s2. The 4th and 5th episodes are by far the best (so far) IMO. There's a twist in ep 5 which was pretty good.

Edited by RavenEyes19, 18 November 2012 - 05:10 PM.

#138    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

• Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

I hadn't heard of this until I was drawn in by the white nun promo poster, which I found online recently. I've watched most of the first season on Netflix; haven't caught the asylum season yet. The first season didn't make any sense, but the inside of that house was so damn beautiful. That, more than the drama, kept me watching.

Also, I think the way they handled the relationship between the neighbor and daughter with Down Syndrome got fairly offensive.

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#139    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

View PostCybele, on 24 November 2012 - 06:12 AM, said:

I hadn't heard of this until I was drawn in by the white nun promo poster, which I found online recently. I've watched most of the first season on Netflix; haven't caught the asylum season yet. The first season didn't make any sense, but the inside of that house was so damn beautiful. That, more than the drama, kept me watching.

Also, I think the way they handled the relationship between the neighbor and daughter with Down Syndrome got fairly offensive.
Well,its basically going to revolve around a different haunted place,each season ,which seemed weird  to me initially,but it makes sense. Some actors will will return . I'm not entirely sure what house season one is based upon .
The asylum in season two is absolutely based on Waverly Hill Sanitorium .
They are taking a lot of poetic license with themes and issues.
Season one ,I suspect ,was supposed to be offensive ,to shock . Jessica Langes character is warped beyond redemption ,and her son is just a wow in depraved sociopathic glory .

She won a few awards for it. Golden Globe ,I'm not sure but maybe an Emmy too ?

The sympathetic character is the couples daughter .For me anyway . I watched it just to see how she ended up ,and how depraved Jessica and her brood could get .

Season two is very different ,mood wise.
Reviews call it disjointed ,but again ,jessica langes character is just so out there ,you keep watching,just to see what taboo she breaks next.

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 24 November 2012 - 10:22 AM.

Miss me?

#140    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

I'd heard of the show but never watched it until last wednesday. I powered through the first season ( those poor people might as well have moved into the Overlook Hotel ) and started the second season today. I obviously enjoy it, but it's so over the top I can't really see it as scary at all, or even suspenseful.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#141    Feebs

Feebs

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

• Imagination is more important than knowledge.
    Albert Einstein

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

i watched this one and am now watching American horror story Asylum....its weird and real good...love them x

Posted Image

#142    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,196 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

View PostCybele, on 24 November 2012 - 06:12 AM, said:

It was a horrific situation that was meant to make you uncomfortable. This isn't American Sensitivity Story.

Posted Image

#143    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• 1,432 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 27 November 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

It was a horrific situation that was meant to make you uncomfortable. This isn't American Sensitivity Story.

Horror is about fear and suspense, not being "uncomfortable" with the morals of a situation. If they were trying to highlight twisted psychological aspects of mundane life and use that as a horror/drama angle it wasn't pulled off correctly, in my mind. It was tasteless.

Edited by Cybele, 28 November 2012 - 03:14 AM.

#144    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,196 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostCybele, on 28 November 2012 - 03:05 AM, said:

Horror is about fear and suspense, not being "uncomfortable" with the morals of a situation. If they were trying to highlight twisted psychological aspects of mundane life and use that as a horror/drama angle it wasn't pulled off correctly, in my mind. It was tasteless.
And since when has the horror genre been known for good taste? Ever see The Devils Rejects? That's about as tasteless as it gets. How about The Hills Have Eyes? The Last House on the Left had a completely unnerving rape scene. Actually nearly every horror film is filled with horrific moments, skinning, dismembering, beheading, rape, torture, and on and on. Yes the girl was mentally challenged but locking her in a closet with mirrors is hardly the most offensive thing ever presented in a horror flick. It was well done to shed much light on the mothers character.

Posted Image

#145    Feebs

Feebs

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

• Imagination is more important than knowledge.
    Albert Einstein

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 28 November 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

And since when has the horror genre been known for good taste? Ever see The Devils Rejects? That's about as tasteless as it gets. How about The Hills Have Eyes? The Last House on the Left had a completely unnerving rape scene. Actually nearly every horror film is filled with horrific moments, skinning, dismembering, beheading, rape, torture, and on and on. Yes the girl was mentally challenged but locking her in a closet with mirrors is hardly the most offensive thing ever presented in a horror flick. It was well done to shed much light on the mothers character.
ever saw the film called mum and dad it is sick but you just got to watch....lol.

Edited by Feebs, 28 November 2012 - 04:55 PM.

Posted Image

#146    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• 1,432 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 28 November 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

It wasn't any particular scene involving the mentally challenged woman and her mother that I didn't think was well-done, but the way in which a whole lot of things with the first season regarding these two characters, and others as well, played out. Arguing personal taste is pointless.

I guess I don't consider myself a huge horror fan to begin with, as I have trouble taking most such movies seriously. I don't really care enough about this show or the genre to argue about it or defend my impressions and opinions any longer.

Edited by Cybele, 28 November 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#147    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,196 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:59 AM

View PostCybele, on 28 November 2012 - 11:09 PM, said:

It wasn't any particular scene involving the mentally challenged woman and her mother that I didn't think was well-done, but the way in which a whole lot of things with the first season regarding these two characters, and others as well, played out. Arguing personal taste is pointless.

I guess I don't consider myself a huge horror fan to begin with, as I have trouble taking most such movies seriously. I don't really care enough about this show or the genre to argue about it or defend my impressions and opinions any longer.
That's alright. I figured you weren't a fan. Horror isn't meant to be taken seriously its meant to be enjoyed. I only gave you my two cents because I thought you were taking it too seriously.

Posted Image

#148    ploppy

ploppy

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

Great season so far, if not mindwaring, but then again it would be this show if it didn't make your brain bleed a little. Jessia Lange is really superb in this and to be fair so are most of the cast. Sarah Paulson!! But good grief American Horror Story really loves to torture female characters.

I'm surprised a show so not normal like is still on the air and being renewed for a 3rd season. It's not often anything that strays from the grain so much lasts very long, especially lately.

Look at Pushing Daisies, a far cheerier afair, but it was wonderful, colourful and nothing else was like it and it got canned.

#149    K_Bonita

K_Bonita

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 258 posts

• For every dark night,there's a brighter day.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

I honestly never watched this show but I am going to give it a go. I love the paranormal and horror genre,the show sounds good from what I've read on here. :yes:

“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then. ”

#150    ploppy

ploppy

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Really looking forward to seeing how the season wraps up. The good guys are getting a break, and I use good guys and break quite loosely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users