Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Scientists developing "stay-sober pill"

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

Great for spies or diplomats. The but apart from that what is the point? Waste of research!

#17    ThePhantomFlanFlinger

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

if developed and marketed it wont be the deaths due to having too much alcohol in your system that will be the problem...it will be the  people with the long term illnesses brought on by the heavy drinking with no drunkeness....that will do the damage to the health systems of countries.....

#18    behaviour???

behaviour???

Saru's Slave

• 6,765 posts

• Its is when aspirations come in toe with destiny, are great men manifested

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:37 PM

I do agree, this is one of the most ridiculous thing i have heard today. If this tablet is being released for public consumption, then no doubt, it is going to take the entire population to chaos! People wouldn't control drinking, and it would look like all have this problem! this is going to be chaotic.

That said, I seriously think these scientist have the logic to understand that their discovery is not to be marketed, but understanding the pathway is good, who knows in future we might be able to feel drunk even without consuming alcohol, now that would be good, lol!

#19    MrSkeptical

MrSkeptical

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:33 PM

This is simply stupid. I drink to get drunk. Otherwise... I'll prefer non-alcoholic drinks.

#20    jaguarsky

jaguarsky

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:50 PM

Why would you drink alchohol if not to get tipsy?

#21    blueandi

blueandi

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:57 PM

Just a thought, but alcoholics drink to get drunk, right? Not because they like the taste.
So I'm thinking, give it to alcoholics, they stop getting drunk and therefore  stop drinking because there's no point. and they also get to live sober and sort out the thing that made them turn to drink in the first place.
Of course then many will just move on to another addiction......  :rolleyes:

#22    Swamptick

Swamptick

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 140 posts

• "What you do speaks so loudly I cannot hear what you say." - Head Coach Nick Saban, The University of Alabama

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

Weird

#23    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

View PostBrianPotter, on 30 September 2011 - 01:30 PM, said:

if developed and marketed it wont be the deaths due to having too much alcohol in your system that will be the problem...it will be the  people with the long term illnesses brought on by the heavy drinking with no drunkeness....that will do the damage to the health systems of countries.....

Well, those illnesses develop over years.

I don't think these pills are meant to be taken regularly, and can't see anyone wanting to. It's a situational pill.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#24    UFO_Monster

UFO_Monster

Poltergeist

• 2,238 posts

• What looks spooky is not always scary. What looks cute is not always cuddly.

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:21 PM

I think this serves no purpose. My reasons have been stated in this thread already. Perhaps they can try to find a pill that does something useful, like getting rid of acne?

Edited by UFO_Monster, 30 September 2011 - 04:38 PM.

#25    ThePhantomFlanFlinger

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:35 PM

View PostJerry Only, on 30 September 2011 - 03:51 PM, said:

Well, those illnesses develop over years.

I don't think these pills are meant to be taken regularly, and can't see anyone wanting to. It's a situational pill.

Its a stupid pill that IF marketed will be abused and you would be surprised how quickly liver disease can come on....we are seeing kids under 20 developing it now due to binge drinking and i think this would just make the whole situation 100 times worse.Kids are drinking from a very young age nowadays and in huge quantites....jmo

Edited by BrianPotter, 30 September 2011 - 04:45 PM.

#26    Viracocha

Viracocha

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 97 posts

• Kininigen

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

I rather have them make a hangover pill!

#27    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:18 PM

View Postblueandi, on 30 September 2011 - 02:57 PM, said:

Just a thought, but alcoholics drink to get drunk, right? Not because they like the taste.
So I'm thinking, give it to alcoholics, they stop getting drunk and therefore  stop drinking because there's no point. and they also get to live sober and sort out the thing that made them turn to drink in the first place.
Of course then many will just move on to another addiction......  :rolleyes:

They have already been doing this, but with a twist. A pill that makes an alcoholic extremely sick when they drink alcohol. Its brand name is Antabuse, but there are other similar pills.

Crazy world, huh?

Edited by Jerry Only, 30 September 2011 - 07:18 PM.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#28    blueandi

blueandi

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:01 PM

View PostJerry Only, on 30 September 2011 - 07:18 PM, said:

They have already been doing this, but with a twist. A pill that makes an alcoholic extremely sick when they drink alcohol. Its brand name is Antabuse, but there are other similar pills.

Crazy world, huh?
Yeah I've heard of that one, but as I understand it, the main problem is they just carry on drinking and put up with the vomiting.
This latest pill would remove the motivation for using alcohol, as it would have no effect.
Definitely a crazy world, but hey, it makes for an interesting one!
:lol:

#29    Light Bringer

Light Bringer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:05 PM

Yeah a hangover pill would make a lot more sense!

#30    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:10 PM

View PostLight Bringer, on 30 September 2011 - 08:05 PM, said:

Yeah a hangover pill would make a lot more sense!

They have those already too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users