Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gay convictions to be wiped from the records

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#46    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

View PostChimpanzee, on 05 October 2011 - 07:38 PM, said:

I'm not its what the topics about.
We're talking about the UK moving forward with human rights, you're talking about removing more human rights from a minority group. That's certainly relevant to the topic.

I think all people should be assessed to uncover all conflicts of interest.
Yet you seem to be singling out homosexuals for rather extreme levels of privacy violation.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#47    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,064 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:42 PM

I'm speechless.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#48    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,187 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:43 PM

View PostChimpanzee, on 05 October 2011 - 07:40 PM, said:

They should be probed to find the conflicts of interest.

But wouldn't the fact that they are gay, black, Jewish and orphaned automatically make them ineligible for certain positions?  Just the face that the "are" these things?

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#49    Chimpanzee

Chimpanzee

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 05 October 2011 - 07:39 PM, said:

So, freedom for only those you feel should be free, and all those others you find distasteful you want their rights stripped.
So... totalitarian.

No, freedom for who the state decides and restrictions for those that might be a risk.

#50    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

Let me make sure there's not a misunderstanding: You do realize, Chimpanzee, that these "crimes" were homosexual men having conse4nsual sex with other homosexual men?

The reform will apply to men who were convicted in 16,000 cases for offences including having consensual sex with another man over the age of 16 or for loitering with intent, the charge formerly brought against homosexuals looking for other men.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1ZwFDLtrH

Change the terminology to reflect heterosexual behaviours and I'd be one of America's most wanted.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#51    Verneph

Verneph

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

• I probably think too much...

View PostChimpanzee, on 05 October 2011 - 07:44 PM, said:

No, freedom for who the state decides and restrictions for those that might be a risk.

Yes, because this has worked so well in the past!

Posted Image

Oh... :mellow:

#52    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,951 posts

View PostChimpanzee, on 05 October 2011 - 07:44 PM, said:

And who decides who gets such freedom and why they might be a risk? Wouldn't the person (or people) involved in such decision making be prone to their own conflicts of interest?

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
Where are those droideka?
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#53    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:47 PM

View PostChimpanzee, on 05 October 2011 - 07:36 PM, said:

No its a free society but only to those that can cope with freedom.

Where all people are equal, but some people are more equal than others right?

You know I never thought I'd see someone pushing for a massive increase of government control over private lives on these boards of all places.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#54    Chimpanzee

Chimpanzee

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:47 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 05 October 2011 - 07:43 PM, said:

But wouldn't the fact that they are gay, black, Jewish and orphaned automatically make them ineligible for certain positions?  Just the face that the "are" these things?

Nibs

No, because these things dont make someone a risk but they do increase the chances.

Upon investigation 90% of them might be fine as Policemen and Judges but the 10% that would be unprofessional in certain circumstances should have restrictions.

#55    HerNibs

HerNibs

• 12,187 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

View PostChimpanzee, on 05 October 2011 - 07:47 PM, said:

No, because these things dont make someone a risk but they do increase the chances.

Upon investigation 90% of them might be fine as Policemen and Judges but the 10% that would be unprofessional in certain circumstances should have restrictions.

Would this individual be able to judge a trial against a white, protestant, hetrosexual woman?

Nibs

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#56    Chimpanzee

Chimpanzee

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:51 PM

View Postshadowhive, on 05 October 2011 - 07:46 PM, said:

And who decides who gets such freedom and why they might be a risk? Wouldn't the person (or people) involved in such decision making be prone to their own conflicts of interest?

It should be a state wide collective decision.

View PostHerNibs, on 05 October 2011 - 07:48 PM, said:

Would this individual be able to judge a trial against a white, protestant, hetrosexual woman?

Nibs

If in the 10% then no.

#57    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,595 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:51 PM

How are homosexuals a risk to society?

#58    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:52 PM

View PostVerneph, on 05 October 2011 - 07:46 PM, said:

Yes, because this has worked so well in the past!

Oh... :mellow:

George Orwell approves of this thread.

Posted Image

-Terry Pratchett

#59    HerNibs

HerNibs

• 12,187 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:53 PM

View PostChimpanzee, on 05 October 2011 - 07:51 PM, said:

It should be a state wide collective decision.

If in the 10% then no.

What could land him in the 10%?

Nibs

#60    Chimpanzee

Chimpanzee

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:53 PM

View PostCorp, on 05 October 2011 - 07:47 PM, said:

Where all people are equal, but some people are more equal than others right?

You know I never thought I'd see someone pushing for a massive increase of government control over private lives on these boards of all places.

All people are equal some just need the guiding hand of the state to make sure they dont violate the rights of others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users