Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gay convictions to be wiped from the records

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#91    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,140 posts

• Oops.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

View PostChimpanzee, on 05 October 2011 - 08:27 PM, said:

My post did not include homosexuals being banned from being in charge of hetrosexuals.

If any man is law abiding and can execute his job professionally without letting conflicts of interest get in the way then he should get the position.
That is hugely different than this:

I dont think Homosexuals should be allowed in the Police, Prison Service, Justice system or allowed to become solicitors.

Edited by ShadowSot, 05 October 2011 - 08:42 PM.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#92    Chimpanzee

Chimpanzee

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 05 October 2011 - 08:34 PM, said:

That is hugely different than this:

Notice how my name is missing from the supposed comment.

The reason why its missing is because its impossible to frame another member here. Without being logged into my account my name and date stamp arent added to a reply. You've created that reply.

Blatent flaming.

Edited by Chimpanzee, 05 October 2011 - 09:04 PM.

#93    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,140 posts

• Oops.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

View PostChimpanzee said:

I dont think Homosexuals should be allowed in the Police, Prison Service, Justice system or allowed to become solicitors.

Looking at the strength of their overeactions on these forums alone I think many are incapable of behaving professionally should they encounter people accused of hate crimes, discrimination or in fact guilty of them.

I think the state should keep a database of all homosexuals as a screening aid should they apply for a job connected to any of the above. Old records should be added to the new. Those will convictions from a time when homosexual acts were illegal may be more prone to unprofessional behaviour that others.
Actually, I just copied and posted from your first post.
I'm going to be nice and assume you're a troll or a poe.
Here's the post, even.

Edited by ShadowSot, 05 October 2011 - 09:31 PM.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#94    Bracket

Bracket

Evil Monkey Genius

• 3,968 posts

• I'm the fourth wise monkey.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

EDIT

*Nevermind. ShadowSot's up to the challenge. lol*

Edited by Bracket, 05 October 2011 - 10:34 PM.

I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

*Note to self, need more henchman, good ones this time. Also, start auditions for new female lab assistant.

#95    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 21,226 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

Chimpanzee, I sort of have an inkling as to what you are trying to say, but I have to admit that you have failed spectacularly at trying to phrase it in such a way that it doesn't sound utterly discriminatory, if not even a somewhat dramatic throwback to a past that we as a people find collectively abhorrent.

My recommendation is this:  Admit that your previous statement was not what you meant, and clarify exactly what your position on the matter is.  Everyone else, go from there.

#96    Chimpanzee

Chimpanzee

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:13 PM

View Postaquatus1, on 05 October 2011 - 10:50 PM, said:

Chimpanzee, I sort of have an inkling as to what you are trying to say, but I have to admit that you have failed spectacularly at trying to phrase it in such a way that it doesn't sound utterly discriminatory, if not even a somewhat dramatic throwback to a past that we as a people find collectively abhorrent.

My recommendation is this:  Admit that your previous statement was not what you meant, and clarify exactly what your position on the matter is.  Everyone else, go from there.

My position is as follows -

People arrested and convicted for homosexual offences in the past may hold a grudge against the state, society or even people opposed to homosexuality. This is because they did prison time.

As a result of possible grudges I think that the state should apologise to them and annul their crimes with compensation. However I think the list should remain incase any problems arise in the future.

By problems I mean that if one of them was to become a Police Officer their grudge may appear when they have a suspect who strongly opposes homosexuality. Similar things could happen with Judges and Prison Officers. In the interests of justice the list should remain to prevent miscarriages of justice.

Edited by Chimpanzee, 05 October 2011 - 11:14 PM.

#97    maca02

maca02

A Bear Of Very Little Brain

• 2,241 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:17 PM

View PostChimpanzee, on 05 October 2011 - 05:06 PM, said:

Looking at the strength of their overeactions on these forums alone I think many are incapable of behaving professionally should they encounter people accused of hate crimes, discrimination or in fact guilty of them.

I think the state should keep a database of all homosexuals as a screening aid should they apply for a job connected to any of the above. Old records should be added to the new. Those will convictions from a time when homosexual acts were illegal may be more prone to unprofessional behaviour that others.

Surely a TROLL,
and yes i did call you shirley. <_<  <_<  <_<

ALL HAIL THE ALE

#98    Bracket

Bracket

Evil Monkey Genius

• 3,968 posts

• I'm the fourth wise monkey.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:17 PM

View PostChimpanzee, on 05 October 2011 - 11:13 PM, said:

People arrested and convicted for homosexual offences in the past may hold a grudge against the state, society or even people opposed to homosexuality. This is because they did prison time.

As a result of possible grudges I think that the state should apologise to them and annul their crimes with compensation. However I think the list should remain incase any problems arise in the future.

By problems I mean that if one of them was to become a Police Officer their grudge may appear when they have a suspect who strongly opposes homosexuality. Similar things could happen with Judges and Prison Officers. In the interests of justice the list should remain to prevent miscarriages of justice.

But, you still haven't explained why you're focusing this on homosexuals.  :huh:

I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

*Note to self, need more henchman, good ones this time. Also, start auditions for new female lab assistant.

#99    Chimpanzee

Chimpanzee

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:23 PM

View PostBracket, on 05 October 2011 - 11:17 PM, said:

But, you still haven't explained why you're focusing this on homosexuals.  :huh:

The topic isnt about other types of people it is about homosexuals.

If the debate was about a different type of people that got prison time then we'd be talking about them instead. There is no special treatment going on here.

Edited by Chimpanzee, 05 October 2011 - 11:23 PM.

#100    smurf0852

smurf0852

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:39 PM

View PostChimpanzee, on 05 October 2011 - 06:58 PM, said:

A whole list of people should be banned from the jobs it isnt just homosexuals.

Would you let someone who was the victim of child abuse become a Prison Guard looking after sex offenders?
Would you let a KKK member be a Policeman and expect him to behave professionally with black suspects?

Anybody that can have issues against other types of people should be banned from those jobs and yes that includes homosexuals because many will have issues regarding discrimination and hate crime suspects.
well this is special so if you are a VICTIM of a crime as a child you should be barred from employment that is a really special statment from a special mind.

#101    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,931 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:40 PM

View PostChimpanzee, on 05 October 2011 - 07:36 PM, said:

No its a free society but only to those that can cope with freedom.

What is your definition of freedom dude?

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#102    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,229 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:40 PM

View PostChimpanzee, on 05 October 2011 - 07:09 PM, said:

No I'm saying many have a motive to act unprofessionally.
Everyone has motives to act unprofessionally. Personally, I hate it when my students smirk at me when accused of a misdemeanor they know they can wriggle out of and I'd like nothing more then to give them a detention just to wipe that smirk off their faces. I don't though, because I'm a professional.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#103    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,276 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:00 AM

Wow, I'm not sure how wiping homosexual consensual sex crimes off the books leads to a notion of they should be barred from any profession.

I find the mention of prison officials interesting- I know of two prison officers that always give gay prisoners a particularly hard time or allowed disturbing inmate on inmate offenses to happen because they are homophobes- In their words (never mine) "they like being on the bottom and treated like b*****s". I also know of a whole handful of officers that are able to do their job right regardless of their sexual orientation or the orientation of the prisoners.

I do have to agree with Chimp that the article was about homosexuals, and he's sticking to that.

But I do disagree with his point of view. If a person that has suffered an ill should be completely barred from a position because of it, I would have to be barred from children and abusive adults because I was an abused child, I would not be allowed around men because I was a battered wife, I would not be allowed around women because I was snubbed by the chic set in high school, I would not be allowed around insects because I've been stung, I would not be allowed around horses because I've been stepped on, I would not be allowed around food because I've had food poisoning (which is extra funny cuz food is my profession), I would not be allowed around trees because I've been poked with a stick, I would not be allowed around fire because I've been burned, I would not be allowed an office job because I've gotten paper cuts and rotten customer calls, and yeah, I wouldn't be allowed any job at all because I've been harassed by opposite sex and same sex bosses and coworkers too...

Geez, some people are perfectly able to overcome their personal life to work in their professional one. Granted, some people are not, but since heterosexuals are able to pull off their jobs most of the time without their sexual orientation being an issue, it's reasonable to assume that homosexuals can do the same thing. Personally, I've seen a lot more heterosexual problems in the workplace than homosexual ones by a long shot.

Edited by rashore, 06 October 2011 - 12:08 AM.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#104    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 4,133 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:21 AM

View PostChimpanzee, on 05 October 2011 - 11:13 PM, said:

While that is worded better, it doesn't cast you in a much better light.

Your reasoning for wanting the list to remain is still deeply flawed and no matter how you try and word it there's no way of escaping that the premise is flawed. (Especially since you've said you want ALL homosexuals to be listed, not just those that were convicted when it was a crime.)

In the 'interests of justice' the list should be removed altogether. At the moment it's listed as a 'sexual offence' which means that it keeps people from jobs where there records are checked for that. As a sexual offence it's in the same catergory as rape and pedophilia, which we can all agree it's not.

Edited by shadowhive, 06 October 2011 - 12:27 AM.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
We'll just keep on trying till we run out of cake
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#105    Blackwhite

Blackwhite

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

• I am minuspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericabobulations.

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:06 AM

View PostChimpanzee, on 05 October 2011 - 05:06 PM, said:

That makes perfect sense, of course.  Of course, every Lefty on this forum has converged onto this thread to spit their vile venom at you.  If they see a post that goes against their Lefty viewpoint of the world, no matter how wrong that viewpoint is, they converge upon that poster all at once, like a group of animals hunting in a pack.  You are right what you say, though.

Edited by Blackwhite, 06 October 2011 - 11:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users