Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mystery of the the 'Crooked Forest'

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16    gatekeeper32

gatekeeper32

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

Interesting.  I am sure there is an environmental factor to explain the abnormal growth yet the picture does remind me of a few European folklore of how plants and tree would become warped or deformed by the occupation of a mischievous or evil fairy, sprite or spirit.  Again interesting.

#17    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,089 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:37 AM

View PostDarkwind, on 12 October 2011 - 02:51 PM, said:

I don't think it is much of a mystery to someone who does Bonsai.  It is just Bonsai ramped up a notch.  :rolleyes:

Trees can grow in a bent way because of soil compositon, wind, infection, growing on the slope of a hill, and damage.

But this looks like someone - a boat builder - planted trees, and as soon as the trees had grown to a certain hight cut everything that grew straight up and sideways from the trees, except one side branch; boat builders often looked for these bent trees to create the keel of the boat.

These trees were obviously left alone to grow to a mature size (and straight up again) because the one trimming them died or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users