Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

'Mars was earthlike for a few hours a day'


  • Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#1    bouncer

bouncer

    Astral Projection

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. East Midlands

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:36 AM

snip:  Mars once had 'earthlike' conditions for at least a few hours a day, according to new research.

The findings make it more plausible that the planet could have supported life, though if the warm temperatures were only temporary that still remains unlikely.

Nonetheless, the pioneering findings were described as 'remarkable' and 'really cool' by one of the study's authors".


http://www.dailymail...orted-life.html


#2    badeskov

badeskov

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 12,649 posts
  • Joined:27 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

  • Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:18 AM

View Postbouncer, on 14 October 2011 - 12:36 AM, said:

snip:  Mars once had 'earthlike' conditions for at least a few hours a day, according to new research.

The findings make it more plausible that the planet could have supported life, though if the warm temperatures were only temporary that still remains unlikely.

Nonetheless, the pioneering findings were described as 'remarkable' and 'really cool' by one of the study's authors".


http://www.dailymail...orted-life.html

Hi Bouncer,

I think many believe that Mars could have supported life at some point and maybe even can now for some extremophiles. Thus the reason to send probes to Mars to have a look.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#3    Super_Sasquatch

Super_Sasquatch

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined:29 Feb 2008

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:27 AM

I think we are just beginning to scratch the surface (literally and figuratively) of what Mars can teach us about life there and everywhere in the universe.

Out there, the truth is...

#4    badeskov

badeskov

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 12,649 posts
  • Joined:27 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

  • Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:39 AM

View PostSuper_Sasquatch, on 14 October 2011 - 02:27 AM, said:

I think we are just beginning to scratch the surface (literally and figuratively) of what Mars can teach us about life there and everywhere in the universe.

I agree!

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#5    bouncer

bouncer

    Astral Projection

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. East Midlands

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:39 AM

View PostSuper_Sasquatch, on 14 October 2011 - 02:27 AM, said:

I think we are just beginning to scratch the surface (literally and figuratively) of what Mars can teach us about life there and everywhere in the universe.


Hypothetically...and really...just for fun,

what if we do discover life on Mars ...is or was - the same as is currently, or was historically, on earth.. meaning that all life - everywhere - is virtually the same!?!?  That there are no grey little aliens, only some planets that progressed from the basic designs, while other planets almost did....but changed and became dead worlds instead?  What if any building blocks of life found extraterrestrialy, were all the same...? What then?

Edited by bouncer, 14 October 2011 - 02:43 AM.


#6    badeskov

badeskov

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 12,649 posts
  • Joined:27 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

  • Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:46 AM

View Postbouncer, on 14 October 2011 - 02:39 AM, said:

Hypothetically...and really...just for fun,

what if we do discover life on Mars ...is or was - the same as is currently, or was historically, on earth.. meaning that all life - everywhere - is virtually the same!?!?  That there are no grey little aliens, only some planets that progressed from the basic designs, while other planets almost did....but changed and became dead worlds instead?

Hi Bouncer,

If I may add my two cents although I was not the one you were adressing.

it is my belief that most scientists working in this field actually think it highly likely that life has been thriving on Mars and maybe still is is in some pockets. That said, I also think that higher order organisms never had a chance to evolve on Mars.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#7    bouncer

bouncer

    Astral Projection

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. East Midlands

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

View Postbadeskov, on 14 October 2011 - 02:46 AM, said:

Hi Bouncer,

If I may add my two cents although I was not the one you were adressing.

it is my belief that most scientists working in this field actually think it highly likely that life has been thriving on Mars and maybe still is is in some pockets. That said, I also think that higher order organisms never had a chance to evolve on Mars.

Cheers,
Badeskov


Hey Badeskov

Yeh I like to think exactly what you stated too, and one of my wishes is they'd send a rover near where those suspicious looking 'trees and vegetative spots' are.. to get a closer ground based looks and analysis.  So in about 6 months when the rover sets down and starts beaming back data, we all just have to wait.

Id reckon, if ever there was a time to reveal that life is found, even microbial, then its about now, (or once that rover starts its work anyway). Then we can all cheer, say lots of WTF's, and know for sure that microbes exists on mars.. but still be none the wiser or better off for that knowledge....

But then it'd be another mission.. god knows when in the future or by which country... for a scoop and return mission to 'see' first hand what the findings are. As for Clintons statement about the microbe in that meteorite years ago...praps thats the closest to disclosure thus far...a primer...for what WILL be revealed next time?   Fingers always crossed

Cheers


#8    DKO

DKO

    Ω is Futile.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Australia

  • When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

I hope one day they do find some sort of life on another planet and I hope its unlike any sort of life discovered so far.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson


Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.


#9    GunXpatriot

GunXpatriot

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Joined:25 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:12 PM

That's a really great find, awesome!


#10    ChristopherChance

ChristopherChance

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined:01 Oct 2011

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:46 PM

I'm pretty convinced there are some surprises Mars has yet to offer. I don't know what to make of claims that NASA has not been forthcoming about a lot of things in the space program. I hope NASA does release any discoveries that would be considered "shocking" to some.


#11    bouncer

bouncer

    Astral Projection

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. East Midlands

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:15 PM

View PostChristopherChance, on 15 October 2011 - 01:46 PM, said:

I'm pretty convinced there are some surprises Mars has yet to offer. I don't know what to make of claims that NASA has not been forthcoming about a lot of things in the space program. I hope NASA does release any discoveries that would be considered "shocking" to some.


Reckon you're right. Some discoveries may 'shock' some folk, but I reckon they're the ones who don't care to inform themselves by attending forums such as these. At least like minded people 'gather' in places like this, so it may not shock 'us lot' - at all !!

We've heard news of water ice, water vapour in the atmosphere, and methane being produced on Mars in the last of couple years!!   ....Hello?  

Seems about right for 'something' to exist. The evidence of methane is the boost!!

Seems likely to me evidence of life will be discovered and disclosed, the time is right for that isnt it? besides disclosing microbial life would hardly freak anyone would it?


#12    27vet

27vet

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Joined:26 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In the tropics

  • Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:55 PM

We really need to send people to Mars. There is a limit to what probes can find. We probably gotta dig quite deep to find something. And cover a lot more ground.


#13    SikFly

SikFly

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Joined:01 Oct 2011

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

if this was true, then perhaps is unlikely that intelligent life ever existed there. But would be interesting to excavate there or at least see some sonar results of whats buried.


#14    bouncer

bouncer

    Astral Projection

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. East Midlands

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:30 PM

View Post27vet, on 15 October 2011 - 03:55 PM, said:

We really need to send people to Mars. There is a limit to what probes can find. We probably gotta dig quite deep to find something. And cover a lot more ground.

And in time that is the goal. There are plans being drawn up all the time, theories being worked out, NASA even sponsors 'others' to come up with designs for inflatable habitats to enable astronauts to live on Mars etc...

.....but you cannot run till at least your able to walk properly!!  We will get there...only a matter of time and money


#15    Razer

Razer

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • Joined:26 Dec 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In front of my laptop.

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:06 PM

View Post27vet, on 15 October 2011 - 03:55 PM, said:

We really need to send people to Mars. There is a limit to what probes can find. We probably gotta dig quite deep to find something. And cover a lot more ground.

I agree, unfortunately I don't think it will happen anytime soon.  At least not for a few decades or more.  Compared to going to the moon, Mars is a far greater challenge and we are no where close to having a real functioning model of how to get humans there safely.  There are many proposed ways of doing it but the devil is in the details.  I'm not aware of any plans to go to Mars that are doable with our current technology.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users