Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Breaking through the sound barrier

j6p

user posted image

Every so often, just the right combination of conditions and events occur to create an unbelievable event -- in this case an F/A-18 Hornet passing through the sound barrier. Not only were the water vapor, density and temperature just right, but there just happened to be a camera in the vicinity to capture the moment. Navy Ensign John Gay made this phenomenal photograph on July 7, 1999 while aboard the carrier USS Constallation as Navy Lt. Ron Candiloro flew by.

The plane is actually in transonic flight, with normal shock waves emanating from behind the canopy and across the wings and fuselage. The condition will last for only an instant, and once supersonic flow exists completely around the aircraft, sharp-angled sonic cones replace the normal shock waves.

I give credit to: Dan Russell, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Applied Physics at Kettering University in Flint, MI

For this wonderful picture, j6p.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Magikman

• j6p

• Raziel

• dust19

Top Posters In This Topic

Baloney.

We all know that's one of our jets re-entering our reality after chasing a UFO into the fourth dimension. You government guys never give up trying to sell us disinformation, do you? rolleyes.gifeek7.gif

abduct.gif

If you look very carefully you can see a Grey piloting.

Edited by Tommy

That has to be one of the best photographs i have seen in my lifetime. I congratulate the photographer biggrin.gif

[edit] ok, i realise i cannot spell... lol

smile.gif It is a pretty impresssive pic.

laugh.gifbiggrin.gif @ MM & test bear

• 3 weeks later...
Baloney.

We all know that's one of our jets re-entering our reality after chasing a UFO into the fourth dimension. You government guys never give up trying to sell us disinformation, do you? rolleyes.gifeek7.gif

abduct.gif

I dont know if thats the sound barrier or reality barrier being broken in this photo but it is cool either way.

J6,

I had actually posted the same pic around six months ago or so, in a thread lampooning interdimensional travel and included it jokingly as photographic proof to back up my claim. Tommy had linked to a video that displayed a similar effect, maybe he can remember where he got if from. Unfortunately the thread was a victim of one of the sporadic board crashes that happened to occur from time to time and has been lost to the ether of the twilight zone. tongue.gif

Magikman

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering where that thread went to. dry.gif

Here's the interesting website I originally found the video on. [ click me ]

And the video can be found on this page [ click here ]

cool.gif

Edited by Tommy

• 3 months later...

i have this in my physics book this summer. im takin physics right now for summer I. this is a cool pic, but the one in my book , the cloud is not as thick.

Cool...but it does seem a strange coincidence.....if its a secound of break time and can't be seen coming the picture is aliitle...a lot...to clear!I it is real the government knows some way to break the sound barrier @ any time! wink.gif

It may be from a High speed camera shooting somewhere around 300FPS than at least on of those 300 frames in 1 second has to have something in it. Am I right? Explosions are shot in this manner, as well as those slo-mo shots of strawberries falling into liquid chocolat on so many commercials we see, it seems to slow time down with ever smooth motion. This is done in cinematics, but who's to say this photo isn't just 1 frame of many?