Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Strangle You in Your Sleep

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    Fate_happens

Fate_happens

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:30 AM

I remember when I was a kid I was at a sleep over and one of my friends told me that if you slept with a necklace on a man (ghost?) (she called him the Candy Man) would come into your room and strangle you in your sleep.

Now, obviously, this isn't true, because I sleep in necklaces all the time. She also must have been confused about the name of thr ghost since Candy Man is taked.

But has anybody ever heard anything like this, or is it something that she came up with on her own?
I have to say, I still think about it whenever I sleep in a necklace.

#2    _Only

_Only

• 6,593 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:40 AM

A lot of people have said they have been choked when waking up in bed, by some kind of shadow person. Some have made connections between that phenomena and sleep paralysis.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#3    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:44 AM

Jerry has hit it right on.

#4    Biff Wellington

Biff Wellington

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:33 AM

This happens to me all the time, but it's because I said the wrong woman's nam in my sleep & my wife is pissed.

#5    Vaise

Vaise

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

• http://www.youtube.com/user/VaiseShepard/videos

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:58 AM

View PostBiff Wellington, on 19 October 2011 - 02:33 AM, said:

This happens to me all the time, but it's because I said the wrong woman's nam in my sleep & my wife is pissed.
......lol :lol:

Posted Image

I’d rather trust and regret than doubt and regret:- Kirito

#6    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,195 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

It's called sleep pralysis..... It's a very real phenomenon. Often people wake up with something choking them. Or sitting on their chest.

Edited by Seeker79, 19 October 2011 - 03:55 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#7    Gloomy Fate

Gloomy Fate

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 19 October 2011 - 03:43 PM, said:

It's called sleep pralysis..... It's a very real phenomenon. Often people wake up with something choking them. Or sitting on their chest.

Exactly, but the story is also a way to tell kid not to sleep in necklaces, which is reasonable. Maybe threatening kids is not so reasonable, but... everyone has their own arguments.

#8    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,195 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

View PostGloomy Fate, on 21 October 2011 - 11:45 AM, said:

Exactly, but the story is also a way to tell kid not to sleep in necklaces, which is reasonable. Maybe threatening kids is not so reasonable, but... everyone has their own arguments.
My guess is that the necklace bit was a sleep pralysis experience. Someone probably woke up in sp and had a vision and feeling of something choking them with their necklace, then told ohers. Funny thing about sp. Although certain elements are universal, there are cultural and belief elements inserted quite often.

My guess is that you tell a someone the legend, then one night they think about it, then end up waking up in sp....... The legend has a high probability of coming true.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#9    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Nightmare = Mora or Croatian language .

More is also one mythological being.
More usually sit downon the chest and strangle neck.
One girl in Croatia is reported that she was sleeping and she felt like someone choking her.
When she was awake she has bruises on her neck.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#10    Emin

Emin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

Well i will say i have heard this one before from a friend when i was in highschool, his grandmother told him this because he always slept with his on of course i thought it was nonsense. I have actually slept with necklaces on and i must say i've never had this sort of experience before, however i have noticed many times that my necklace is torn and it has happened twice already; when i looked back on it and tried to remember exactly what went on when i was sleeping i actually recall feeling a certain sense of discomfort feeling the necklace around my neck, truth is i was actually tearing my rosaries off while i was sleeping.  :no: talk about a waste of moneyz.

I am an Emin of truth!

#11    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

I've been suffocated in bed,on more than one occasion,and it ONLY happens to me when I am in Japan.i also wake right up .Its not paralysis.
That being said ,there's a horror movie called Candy Man.Its old now.I believe it's based on an old urban legend.
I dont know how close it is to this.I forget the story now.
http://www.youtube.c...n&feature=mv_sr

Miss me?

#12    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,698 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

View PostFate_happens, on 19 October 2011 - 01:30 AM, said:

I remember when I was a kid I was at a sleep over and one of my friends told me that if you slept with a necklace on a man (ghost?) (she called him the Candy Man) would come into your room and strangle you in your sleep.

Now, obviously, this isn't true, because I sleep in necklaces all the time. She also must have been confused about the name of thr ghost since Candy Man is taked.

But has anybody ever heard anything like this, or is it something that she came up with on her own?
I have to say, I still think about it whenever I sleep in a necklace.

Sounds to me like one of those tales that parents tells their kids to get them to take their necklaces off before bed.

But yes, sleep paralysis could be a cause as well as sleep apnea (one of the symptoms is that you wake up choking and gasping for breath).

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#13    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,698 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 20 April 2012 - 05:34 AM, said:

I've been suffocated in bed,on more than one occasion,and it ONLY happens to me when I am in Japan.

Yes, those Japanese hookers can be a bit rough at times.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#14    Vzy4kat63

Vzy4kat63

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

Normally, when people sleep with there necklace on and experience the sensation of being strangled it's probably there necklace's getting tangled up. Or they are experiencing sleep paralysis.

#15    Sanctus Sapientis

Sanctus Sapientis

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

• The most important sense when investigation the paranormal is common sense.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:05 AM

I've never been strangled in my sleep, though the only necklaces I wear are cross pendants.

I'm curious, those who report being strangled in their sleep, is it centered on the neck, or the chest? As many already know, the phenomenon of a heavy weight on the chest is common in cases of sleep paralysis. I wonder how closely they are linked...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users