Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Castle in West Virginia

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16    Ravinoff

Ravinoff

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

I get the unshakable feeling that this may be a hoax. Mostly because while the specific castle you're talking about isn't mentioned here, it definitely reeks of the same style of hoax. Even the location fits.

#17    deepfreezemcgee

deepfreezemcgee

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

Mt. Wood House (The castle), Rt 40 East&West Acsessable on Mt. Wood Rd. Just North on Stone Blvd., ☎ no phone. Open Dawn to Dusk. Mt. Wood Overlook is called "The Castle" by locals or "Stone House" to some people. It was going to be a house until the owner's wife had died so he was heartbroken and stopped biulding it and sold it to the city and opened it to the public. And is Free

seems like a load of hooey to me...

#18    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,800 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

View Postsonoranone, on 12 May 2013 - 02:11 AM, said:

Yes there is an unfinished castle in West Virginia......it is located in Wheeling, West Virginia in North Park......it was built on a historical site called McCullugh's Leap. The man responsible for the castle is unknown. The city of Wheeling can not do anything with the property or the castle because despite not knowing who owns it, the land and city taxes are paid every year by person or persons unknown. The castle site is also on another landmark.....below the castle is the Blaw-Knox iron Foundry where during WWII they made tank tops and other military hardware. Believe it or not there is an underground tunnel from Blaw-Knox that extends all the way to Wheeling Island which is on the other side of the Ohio river.......yes you guessed it...the tunnel runs underneath the river.
Any sources on this?  Google is throwing up nothing useful when I try searching for an unfinished castle with unknown owner(s) in Wheeling, West Virginia which has it's taxes paid for by person or persons unknown.  Any sort of refined search just links me back to your post here.  Other search results have nothing to do with such a mysterious castle in West Virginia.

Are there even taxes to be paid on land that has no records of anyone owning it?

Edited by Archimedes, 17 May 2013 - 10:20 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#19    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:06 AM

I've lived in WV for a good chunk of my life, and been all over the state.  I don't know that I've ever heard this legend before.  It seems like it's something that someone would say abou ta place they've never been.

"All of china is rice fields, Africa is a giant jungle, Australia is one big desert"  Like that, but on a much smaller, white trashy scale

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#20    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

Love that site about the Dupont Castle.  It's very funny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users