Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What is Your Favorite Commercial ever?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31    CuriousGreek

CuriousGreek

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• Dang!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

:P

Αν ανάμεσα σ’ όλον τον κόσμο,
νιώθεις πως δεν υπάρχουνε λύσεις,
τότε μόνο δυο μάτια μπορούνε,
να σε κάνουν να θέλεις να ζήσεις.

#32    docyabut2

docyabut2

Alien Abducter

• 5,394 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

Can`t find it, but that one where a guy puts a big can under a tree to try and knock down a wasp nest. He climbs the ladder to cut the nest down and the wasps nest falls into the can, but the ladder tottles and he fell head frist into the can and the commercial says don`t ever try this :) :) :)

Edited by docyabut2, 02 December 2012 - 12:47 AM.

#33    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,381 posts

• ~*★*~Engine of destruction~*★*~

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:17 AM

This is the edited version of the commercial I'm totally into now:

https://www.youtube....h?v=YznwIxPKBmM

editing reasons, see below

Edited by coldethyl, 04 December 2012 - 01:30 AM.

#34    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,381 posts

• ~*★*~Engine of destruction~*★*~

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

OMG This is the full version of this commercial that always makes me look up from my pc.  I've never seen the full version.  The 'melon' guy.  grrrr

https://www.youtube....h?v=Z_WkbC4lh4k

edited a billion times cuz I'm an idiot.

Edited by coldethyl, 04 December 2012 - 01:29 AM.

#35    regi

regi

Government Agent

• 3,508 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

View Postcoldethyl, on 04 December 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

OMG This is the full version of this commercial that always makes me look up from my pc.  I've never seen the full version.  The 'melon' guy.  grrrr

I'm surprised to see that commercial still air. The first time I saw it, I really thought it would be pulled.
I get that they're emphasizing "double" impact, but jeez... even if there was just one guy, I would still think the inferences are just too suggestive.

This one was pulled. I think it's very funny, but I understand why some found it offensive.

https://www.youtube....h?v=l9C9uFUZILY

Edited by regi, 05 December 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#36    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,570 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Some of my favorite commercials were from the late 60's, and I can not find copies of them...

1. My dad and I were watching an old Three Musketeers movie (about 1967 or so), it was time for the last commercial and by this time of course you knew everyone in the movie and what was going on...  suddenly the scene shifted and it looked like it might be in another part of the fortress/castle they were fighting in... There was a guy in basic Musketeer white (obviously the good guy) fighting his way up a flight of stairs... opposing him was a guy in basic black -and with a moustache so you knew he was a bad guy!... the guy in black had an arm around an attractive lady using her as a sort of shield... My dad an I looked at each other saying "What the heck is going on?"... at the top of the stairs there is a landing but no doors or railing... the guy in black tosses the lady down and the 'good guy' catches her...  at the top the 'bad guy' sees a large chandeleer and jumps out to grab it...

The scene shifts to out in the hallway and you can see the 'bad guy swinging toward an open door and freedom (the door is really thick) and atop the landing the 'good guy' has his arm around the lady and has an 'aw heck he's getting away' look... Just as the laughing bad guy gets to the door - in full swing - a monk passes by and shuts the door!

The next scene has the 'bad guy' laying on the floor with splinters in his face and his clothes all rumpled up, and the 'good guy' holding a dagger to his throat... The bad guy says "You look like you could use some Gator Aide"... then it went back to the movie...

Totally blew my mind.

2. (this was while i was living in El Paso Texas - the desert)  The scene shows a cavalry man crawling through the desert - an arrow sticking out of his back...  he really looks half fried from the sun... after a bit he crawls across a spotlessly clean highway and into a Philips 66 gas station...  He manages to use a gas pump to stand up and the attendant comes out  - pulls out the arrow and says "Hmmm. You're a quart low".... Then a voice says "Philips 66. The gasoline that won the west!"

3. A volkwagen beetle commercial from about that same time... Out at the Bonneville salt flats, they have a VW bug lined up at a drag race light tree... the Announcer "Some people don't think the VW Bug is a sporty car. We are here at Bonneville to prove that it is! Today we challenge the Green Monster!"  (The Green Monster - was a race car that had an F-105 jet fighter engine in it with afterburners!)

The VW driver is in his car racing the engine, while the Green Monster 'pilot' was standing beisde his - helmet off and car totally shut down... When the lights cycle and turn green the VW lurches forward and slowly gains speed... The Green Monster pilot calmly puts his helmet on then opens the vehicle door and climbs in then slowly goes through his saftely belt connections while the VW gains speed and pulls away...  Finally the Green Monster pilot flips a toggle switch and the car 'takes off' like a rocket!
Just a fraction of a second before the Green Monster passes the VW they freeze the picture and proudly proclaim "There is the proof! The VW bug has defeated the Green Monster in the grueling 453 feet 3 and 1/4inch race!"

wish i could find the videos to these...

Edited by Taun, 07 January 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#37    regi

regi

Government Agent

• 3,508 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Taun, what you described about the commercial seeming like a continuation of the movie is so funny!
I remember having that same experience, but I don't remember what the movie was. I'm sure I was lured along as you two were, and then at some point, had that same "what the heck is going on here" moment!
How clever of the ad. people as a way to insure that the commercial will be watched!

#38    SubjectDigamma

SubjectDigamma

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

Hello my name is peggy

#39    EllJay

EllJay

Government Agent

• 3,690 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

German Coast guard trainee

"Opinions are like a**holes - everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#40    EllJay

EllJay

Government Agent

• 3,690 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Arrogance Supreme.

Edited by EllJay, 21 January 2013 - 03:26 PM.

"Opinions are like a**holes - everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#41    Tor_Hershman

Tor_Hershman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

• There is no God in foxholes

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

#42    Tor_Hershman

Tor_Hershman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

• There is no God in foxholes

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:26 AM

If you youngins knew what an important hero, to we wee Atomic Rocket Age kids, that The Lone Ranger 'twere, you could dig this ad more so.
BTW notice that The Ranger does not take any of the rolls.

Did ya ever hear Jay Thomas, @ YouTube/Late Night, tell his Lone Ranger story?
IMO the greatest true story ever told.

#43    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,570 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

View PostTor_Hershman, on 17 February 2014 - 01:26 AM, said:

If you youngins knew what an important hero, to we wee Atomic Rocket Age kids, that The Lone Ranger 'twere, you could dig this ad more so.
BTW notice that The Ranger does not take any of the rolls.

Did ya ever hear Jay Thomas, @ YouTube/Late Night, tell his Lone Ranger story?
IMO the greatest true story ever told.

Did you ever hear the story behind that commercial?...

As almost everyone is aware the "William Tell Overture" was the theme music for the old Lone Ranger TV (and Radio) series.... In fact that is how most people my age
think of the tune - not as the piece of classical music that it is...

In the late 1960's cigarette companies were allowed to advertise on tv and one brand "Lark" used the music in it's commercials... Basically the commercials
consisted of some guys in the back of a pick-up truck driving around holding up signs saying "Show Us Your Larks" (the cigarette had a distinctive package)
and people on the streets would hold up their Lark packs...

Along comes Jeno's Pizza rolls (which incidentally were rather tasty even though I could never get them crispy enough)... They used the music in their
commercials but in no other way used the same stunts that Lark used...  Lark sued Jenos over the music... and this commercial was Jenos response...
Lark dropped the lawsuit...

Edited by Taun, 03 March 2014 - 03:39 PM.

#44    regi

regi

Government Agent

• 3,508 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:44 AM

I like the commercial where the lady thinks she's calling in her cat, but it's actually a raccoon that wanders in. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users