Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 1 votes

The Enfield Poltergeist: what is the truth?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,654 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:17 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

The rasping male voice sent a chill through the room. Hauntingly, it delivered a message from beyond the grave, describing in graphic detail the moment of death.

‘Just before I died, I went blind, and then I had an ’aemorrhage and I fell asleep and I died in the chair in the corner downstairs.’

The eerie voice — which can still be heard on audio tapes today — is purportedly that of Bill Wilkins.The recording was made in Enfield, North London, in the Seventies, several years after his death.

Most horrifying of all, however, was that the voice was coming from the body of an 11-year-old girl, Janet Hodgson. She appeared to be possessed. It could have been a scene from the film The Exorcist — but it was real.

What was going on? This was the case of the Enfield Poltergeist, which held the nation spellbound 30 years ago, puzzling policemen, psychics, experts in the occult and hardened reporters alike.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Matt Vinyl

Matt Vinyl

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 131 posts

• "And has this ever happened before, minister?" "Yes, but only ever in the past, Bryan..."

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

This to me, is one of the most fascinating cases. I recall watching a few programmes about it years ago.

A short (10 mins) documentary:

Edit reason: Didn't realise this was the first part of apparently a 7-part doc. Still worth watching though. :)

Edited by Matt Vinyl, 30 October 2011 - 05:29 PM.

And do you ever contradict yourself? Well, yes and no...

#3    Rocketgirl33

Rocketgirl33

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

• People who don't know how to weep with their whole heart, don't know how to laugh either.

Golda Meir

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:39 PM

I watched all 7 of the video's and it was quite interesting. I do not believe that spirits have anything to do with poltergeist activity though. I believe in ghosts and spirits but not demons or poltergeist. I don't believe that a spirit can possess anyone. The speaking in a mans voice that this girl did I believe was tricked. I believe it was her doing it all the way. I have read a lot about poltergeist activity being linked to pre-teen and teen girls during puberty and before. I believe that this is exactly what this was. As for a ghost being seen by others,well that too could have come from this girl. If she can do all the other things, like walking through walls, surely she can manifest a ghost or two. Or, there could have been a ghost hanging around of the man who died there and he could only come through with her help, but I really don't think so, I really think she knew that he had lived there and died there, it was not a big secret.  I don't think there is any real big mystery here, it was all from the mind of a child.

Rocketgirl B)

"He thrusts his fists against the post and still insists he sees the ghost!"
S. King, IT

#4    nyuk

nyuk

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:05 AM

I have to say, if this was all coming from the childs mind, she needed help.
If it wasnt coming from the childs mind, she still needed help :unsure2:

#5    reggie2011

reggie2011

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• creator/webmaster/owner
    mystery documentaries.com

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:35 AM

all of this is simply the product of a board hormonal adelesent girl that went way to far and probebly distroyed the better part of her mothers life,ive done alot of reserch on the enfeild case and never seen anything that would consitute the publicity it has gotten

#6    Rocketgirl33

Rocketgirl33

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

• People who don't know how to weep with their whole heart, don't know how to laugh either.

Golda Meir

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:58 AM

View Postreggie2011, on 31 October 2011 - 03:45 AM, said:

all of this is simply the product of a board hormonal adelesent girl that went way to far and probebly distroyed the better part of her mothers life,ive done alot of reserch on the enfeild case and never seen anything that would consitute the publicity it has gotten

I watched all 7 of the videos and I feel the same way. That girl, Janet, was having a heck of a good time with the whole thing. There is to much evidence to show that a poltergeist activity is usually coming from a young girl during puberty. Why is not fully understood, but it is real enough and explains poltergeist's. I don't believe that spirits can possess anyone and I don't believe in demons. From the look of the pictures that girl was jumping off the bed and it was clear to see. As for the gruff voice she used to talk like an old man, well I don't buy that either. She made that voice herself and as for having information about the man who died there, she could have got that info from just about anyplace. So I totally agree with you on this one.

Rocketgirl B)

S. King, IT

#7    Fewzz

Fewzz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

Look at the position of the girls legs and arms as she was supposedly thrown/levitated out of the bed, she was jumping!

At least it should go down as one of the biggest fakes, the whole thing stinks to me and i saw and heard nothing to convince me otherwise.

#8    Matt Vinyl

Matt Vinyl

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 131 posts

• "And has this ever happened before, minister?" "Yes, but only ever in the past, Bryan..."

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

Was the validity of Maurice Grose (sp?) and his investigations ever questioned?

And do you ever contradict yourself? Well, yes and no...

#9    LPWilletts

LPWilletts

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

I think she was faking it, but that's just my opinion.  I remain open to any and all possibilities, but require a high level of evidence before stating an active belief.  I was hoping this case might establish something to bring a little more credibility to the paranormal, but looking at it, it does nothing of the kind.  So I'm left still open to the possibility, but still not convinced enough to believe it.

#10    SOQUAWAYA

SOQUAWAYA

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

• WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

View PostRocketgirl33, on 31 October 2011 - 05:58 AM, said:

I watched all 7 of the videos and I feel the same way. That girl, Janet, was having a heck of a good time with the whole thing. There is to much evidence to show that a poltergeist activity is usually coming from a young girl during puberty. Why is not fully understood, but it is real enough and explains poltergeist's. I don't believe that spirits can possess anyone and I don't believe in demons. From the look of the pictures that girl was jumping off the bed and it was clear to see. As for the gruff voice she used to talk like an old man, well I don't buy that either. She made that voice herself and as for having information about the man who died there, she could have got that info from just about anyplace. So I totally agree with you on this one.

Rocketgirl B)

WHY IS THERE NO VIDEO OF THIS INTERVIEW. AND YES THERE ARE DEMONIC ENTITIES ROCKETGIRL, I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I'M A PARANORMAL INVESTIGATOR. THERE ARE THINGS UNEXPLAINED AND YES, THERE ARE DEMONIC ACTIVITIES. YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT BELIEVE IN GOD OR YOU'D KNOW THIS IS TRUE

#11    Blackwhite

Blackwhite

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

• I am minuspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericabobulations.

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:30 PM

View Postreggie2011, on 31 October 2011 - 03:45 AM, said:

The Enfield poltergeist was not faked.

One of the girls who lived in that house, who was aged just 11, was heard by paranormal investigators speaking in a deep, guttural voice, which has been recorded on tape.

Experts have said that it is physically impossible for a young girl to produce such a voice.

Not only that, but when the girl was accused by ventriloquist Ray Alan and others of faking the voice, Grosse offered £1,000 to anyone who could duplicate the voice by ventriloquism or any other form of trickery. No one took up his challenge.

Edited by Blackwhite, 31 October 2011 - 06:33 PM.

#12    Cryptozological Mascot

Cryptozological Mascot

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

• “Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.” –Martin Reese, British Astronomer

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:51 PM

I truly find it amazing that people on both sides of this fence use the word "Believe" as their sole argument.  "I don't believe,... I do believe..."  This is why debates such as this one still rage on.  If people could step aside from what they "believe" to be true  and objectively looke at these different cases, then they may well be surprised by what they find.

The world is my oyster... and I'm allergic to sea food.
My Background / Credentials

#13    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,025 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:43 PM

View PostSOQUAWAYA, on 31 October 2011 - 03:56 PM, said:

WHY IS THERE NO VIDEO OF THIS INTERVIEW. AND YES THERE ARE DEMONIC ENTITIES ROCKETGIRL, I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I'M A PARANORMAL INVESTIGATOR. THERE ARE THINGS UNEXPLAINED AND YES, THERE ARE DEMONIC ACTIVITIES. YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT BELIEVE IN GOD OR YOU'D KNOW THIS IS TRUE

So only people who believe in God see/hear/witness demons?

That should tell you something right there.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#14    Rocketgirl33

Rocketgirl33

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Golda Meir

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:14 PM

View PostSOQUAWAYA, on 31 October 2011 - 03:56 PM, said:

First of all DO NOT YELL AT ME, if you can't show a little respect then don't post. Second of all, I do not believe in demons and you being a "Paranormal Investigator" does NOT prove to me or anyone that demons exist. I do not believe in god, does that make me any less of a person than you?  There is absolutely zero evidence to prove the existence of god or demons. Just because a 12 year old girl talks in a gruff voice does not mean she is possessed by demons. You should open your mind up a little bit and read some information of exactly what a poltergeist is. I am a very spiritual person and I believe in spirits, good ones and bad ones, but that does not make them demons and does not prove there is an almighty god.

Rocketgirl B)

S. King, IT

#15    Rocketgirl33

Rocketgirl33

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Golda Meir

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:32 PM

View PostBlackwhite, on 31 October 2011 - 06:30 PM, said:

The Enfield poltergeist was not faked.

One of the girls who lived in that house, who was aged just 11, was heard by paranormal investigators speaking in a deep, guttural voice, which has been recorded on tape.

Experts have said that it is physically impossible for a young girl to produce such a voice.

Not only that, but when the girl was accused by ventriloquist Ray Alan and others of faking the voice, Grosse offered £1,000 to anyone who could duplicate the voice by ventriloquism or any other form of trickery. No one took up his challenge.

Did you watch all 7 of the videos? They talked about the "False Vocal cords" that are behind your normal vocal cords. They said that yes, she could very well have been using them. They said that you can use them but it could cause a sore throat. In 1977 they knew about the connection between teen girls during puberty and if you go read some things on it you might find it very interesting. I think people are just hung up on the 'possessed by demons' route without looking any where else. There is more than one answer, I think there are things out there that we have always blamed on ghosts and demons because that was all they taught us to believe. Now in the day of science we are finding new doors opening to old ideas.

Rocketgirl B)

S. King, IT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users