Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Strange Case: The Orange Sock Murders

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#46    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the link De.

The link you just shared is from 2008, 2 years before the 2010 article I shared earlier in the thread, so it seems that Petrocelli was a suspect in this case for a long time. However still nothing new about his possible involvement in the murders.

The information about Thomas Luther being ruled out as a suspect in this case is solid, so I'm positive he is not involved in the case. A book written about Luther, "Monster", tells the entire story, however it seems that the book is not available on Amazon anymore. I'm looking into that.

I agree, it's hard to believe the victims didn't know each other. Sadly we have no evidences that they were friends or that they even met, so I understand why the authorities are skeptical about this possibility.

I was thinking about the man on the picture: My friend Audrey told me that he might be wearing a hospital type uniform shirt, so is it possible that the socks might be hospital "booties", the kind of sock they were giving to people who went to the hospital ??

Edited by JonathanVonErich, 01 November 2011 - 08:55 PM.

#47    iamdee1

iamdee1

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

I looked at the shirt with a magnifyer again and can see a cloth bottom below the white on the dark part of his clothes, our right hand side which would be the suspects left side.

Cloth buttons, could be prison or it could be an asylum or hospital.  Maybe he was a mental patient that had been released.  I wonder if they took black and white pictures at the asylums back in the 80's.

Googling, I'll be back if I find anything good.

#48    iamdee1

iamdee1

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

I found an asylum in Louisiana in the 60's that had the dark colored uniforms and it looks like their hair is cut shorter, of course, that could just be a coincidence but the 60's was notorious for being the beginning of the long haired generation.

WARNING:  DISTURBING BLACK AND WHITE PICTURE

http://kvetchlandia....itution-12-east

Edited by iamdee1, 01 November 2011 - 09:28 PM.

#49    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,021 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

Well, if it is a person associated with medical or prison... It could very well be a patient/inmate photo, or back to one of my theories, an ID tag photo. But in a way, ID kind of makes less sense since it's unlikely that the employer would give the raw photo to anyone, and the image didn't look like it was lifted from a badge itself- that would have been laminated.

It could also possibly just be a photo booth photo, that could explain the border, condition of the photo, and the B&W shot. Photo booths kicked off in the 1920's, and were pretty common all over the place by the 80's. Maybe the man does not really have an eye problem, but rather was winking at the camera?

Even though the hair is right for military, what bothers me is the lack of markings on the shirt to indicate military. Also, cloth covered buttons is common for civilians, but not common for military. Death head buttons are sometimes used, but more commonly on jackets rather than shirts.

#50    iamdee1

iamdee1

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:12 AM

View Postrashore, on 01 November 2011 - 10:02 PM, said:

Well, if it is a person associated with medical or prison... It could very well be a patient/inmate photo, or back to one of my theories, an ID tag photo. But in a way, ID kind of makes less sense since it's unlikely that the employer would give the raw photo to anyone, and the image didn't look like it was lifted from a badge itself- that would have been laminated.

It could also possibly just be a photo booth photo, that could explain the border, condition of the photo, and the B&W shot. Photo booths kicked off in the 1920's, and were pretty common all over the place by the 80's. Maybe the man does not really have an eye problem, but rather was winking at the camera?

Even though the hair is right for military, what bothers me is the lack of markings on the shirt to indicate military. Also, cloth covered buttons is common for civilians, but not common for military. Death head buttons are sometimes used, but more commonly on jackets rather than shirts.

I agree with you about possibly not being an ID as I thought about the lamination too.  I also thought about the photo booths and tried to remember what they looked like back in the 80's and if I remember right, they were white borders.   I'm sure that different places did different things unless they were all owned by the same company and used the same film.  Don't know anything about that.  

No, I used a magnifier and could plainly see the eyes and could see the black in them.  His right eye doesn't look right and is looking toward the right while the left eye is looking straight ahead.  You can see the white in his  left eye but there is no white to the right eye.  Looks really creepy and I don't know of any film that would cause his eyes to be so out of proportion.

I looked really good but can only see one button and it looks like cloth of the same color.  I don't see the ties around his neck like the merchant marines had.

I did find one photo on the internet that was similarily made with the black border, background discoloration, and looks like it is the same type of texture and it was from the 1940's but didn't look quite the same.

I'll let everyone know what Jerry says tomorrow.

#51    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:51 PM

Any word by Jerry about the picture ??  :)

#52    iamdee1

iamdee1

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

No, I think he forgot about me.  He is having some problems at home (his wife suffers from mental illness) and he is working 2 jobs.  I'll give him a call in the morning and remind him.

Hopefully everything is OK with him.

#53    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:24 PM

View Postiamdee1, on 03 November 2011 - 07:09 PM, said:

No, I think he forgot about me.  He is having some problems at home (his wife suffers from mental illness) and he is working 2 jobs.  I'll give him a call in the morning and remind him.

Hopefully everything is OK with him.
My thoughts are with him and his family.

#54    iamdee1

iamdee1

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:42 PM

View PostJonathanVonErich, on 03 November 2011 - 07:24 PM, said:

My thoughts are with him and his family.
Thanks Jon.  I'll call him in the morning and remind him.  I'm sure he just forgot, which is something he does at times.

#55    iamdee1

iamdee1

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

Still no Jerry and I think he probably had to go into work because his phone isn't answering.  I'll keep trying to get him.

#56    pogostick

pogostick

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:07 AM

View PostJonathanVonErich, on 30 October 2011 - 01:48 AM, said:

It was probably Tracy Petrocelli, but I have my doubts.

The two investigators still haven't shared the alleged "strong evidences" linking him to the crimes, and from what I have read they don't want to share comments about this case. This is strange. If indeed they had strong evidence they would have closed the case a long time ago. The proof that the case is still unsolved more than a year after they identified Petrocelli as a suspect is, to me, proof that they thought they have nothing solid against him.

If indeed they have strong evidences then they should do something about it. I know it takes time to close a case, but "strong evidences" would have closed this case months ago.

Unfortunately, having evidence that someone did a crime and being able to prove it are two different things. You have to remember these crimes happened 29 years ago. I happen to know some of what this evidence is as my loved one was one of Petrocelli's victims. In fact his body has never been found that we know of. I supplied some of the evidence to these wonderful cold case detectives in Utah and since it was sat on for the majority of years, it is not easy to make a case. Gas receipts for Petrolcelli's travels through multiple states were in my possession since it was my loved one's gas credit card receipts. Petrocelli was in the area at the time of the murders. The detectives also used those receipts, that were available to the inital law enforcement officials in 1982, so many years later to track crimes and identify other victims of this sociopath. Though these cases were never sent to the court system, those cases were finally able to be closed because of these two men, Mike Carr and Dean Wilkinson. The posters that are skeptical of why the cases of these two girls have not been closed have no idea what it is to be the one left behind after an unsolved murder. I am grateful to Summit County Utah for helping me feel confident that while Petrocelli will never be charged in the death of my boyfriend, I know he was the murderer. I have known he was the murderer since 1982. I know some of what has occurred in Colorado with these two girls as I was interviewed several years ago when their cold case started being investigated. I fully support law enforcement and cold case detectives and am grateful for the peace of mind they have given me.

Edited by pogostick, 12 December 2011 - 04:16 AM.

#57    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

View Postpogostick, on 12 December 2011 - 04:07 AM, said:

Unfortunately, having evidence that someone did a crime and being able to prove it are two different things. You have to remember these crimes happened 29 years ago. I happen to know some of what this evidence is as my loved one was one of Petrocelli's victims. In fact his body has never been found that we know of. I supplied some of the evidence to these wonderful cold case detectives in Utah and since it was sat on for the majority of years, it is not easy to make a case. Gas receipts for Petrolcelli's travels through multiple states were in my possession since it was my loved one's gas credit card receipts. Petrocelli was in the area at the time of the murders. The detectives also used those receipts, that were available to the inital law enforcement officials in 1982, so many years later to track crimes and identify other victims of this sociopath. Though these cases were never sent to the court system, those cases were finally able to be closed because of these two men, Mike Carr and Dean Wilkinson. The posters that are skeptical of why the cases of these two girls have not been closed have no idea what it is to be the one left behind after an unsolved murder. I am grateful to Summit County Utah for helping me feel confident that while Petrocelli will never be charged in the death of my boyfriend, I know he was the murderer. I have known he was the murderer since 1982. I know some of what has occurred in Colorado with these two girls as I was interviewed several years ago when their cold case started being investigated. I fully support law enforcement and cold case detectives and am grateful for the peace of mind they have given me.
Hi, thank you very much for sharing your fascinating story with us. :)

Sorry to hear about your boyfriend, glad you have found peace.

You are right, I have no idea what it is to be the one left behind after an unsolved murder. I am aware that it takes a lot of time to close a case, and I know that having evidence that someone did a crime and being able to prove it are two different things, I totally agree with you. However I still believe that the investigators committed a mistake when they said they had "strong evidences" against Petrocelli in this case, I'm sure it gave a lot of hope to the family,of the victims, and I can't imagine how disappointed both family must be now, one year later after the comment by the investigators, seeing that the case is still unsolved.

I also fully support law enforcement and cold case detectives, and know how hard they work. However they are not perfect, and in this case I believe they have committed a mistake by claiming they had "strong" evidences. Only my opinion. I didn't meant to be disrespectful towards these investigators, I myself I'm planning of getting my PHD in criminology, so I have a huge amount of respect for these people. However I don't agree with what they did.

#58    pogostick

pogostick

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:32 AM

View PostJonathanVonErich, on 12 December 2011 - 07:20 PM, said:

Hi, thank you very much for sharing your fascinating story with us. :)

Sorry to hear about your boyfriend, glad you have found peace.

You are right, I have no idea what it is to be the one left behind after an unsolved murder. I am aware that it takes a lot of time to close a case, and I know that having evidence that someone did a crime and being able to prove it are two different things, I totally agree with you. However I still believe that the investigators committed a mistake when they said they had "strong evidences" against Petrocelli in this case, I'm sure it gave a lot of hope to the family,of the victims, and I can't imagine how disappointed both family must be now, one year later after the comment by the investigators, seeing that the case is still unsolved.

I also fully support law enforcement and cold case detectives, and know how hard they work. However they are not perfect, and in this case I believe they have committed a mistake by claiming they had "strong" evidences. Only my opinion. I didn't meant to be disrespectful towards these investigators, I myself I'm planning of getting my PHD in criminology, so I have a huge amount of respect for these people. However I don't agree with what they did.
Who knows, they may be alot like me where the information they have been given has helped them find some peace. Maybe not. But knowing that someone cares and is really trying to prove what happened is enormous to those left behind. Petrocelli laughs at anyone who has tried to get him to tell the truth. He leads them on promising the truth and then won't talk. There have been several instances where detectives from different states have been to Ely to talk to him and he ends up spinning tales and lies. He is evil and he killed his accomplices once he was done with them. I am waiting for his death sentence to be carried out. It is a travesty that he is allowed to spend this amount of time on appeals. My heart goes out to all his victims and for these girls' families as well, no matter who the guilty party is. It's a hard row to hoe never having answers.

#59    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

Recent article about the case, written for the 30th Anniversary:

THIRTY YEARS AGO - MOUNTAIN MURDERS NEVER FORGOTTEN

Sharing some interesting ( but old ) informations:

Annette's last known stop in Breckenridge, Colorado was at approximately 4:45 PM on Wednesday, January 6, 1982, leaving a pharmacy called The Drug Store where she had filled a prescription. She was seen talking with an unidentified woman, and was heard reminding the woman to buy cigarettes. The unknown woman was described by witnesses as a white female, approximately 5' 4" tall, slender build.

Sketch of the unknown woman: Posted Image

More info: http://www.rockymountaincoldcase.com/

#60    mfluder

mfluder

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

He was exonerated on DNA evidence, once it became available around 1991.  His DNA was tested against a sample obtained from Bobbie Jo's bloody glove.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users