Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Magical Viking stone may be real

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,033 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:05 AM

www.telegraph.co.uk said:

A Viking legend which tells of a glowing "sunstone" that, when held up to the sky, disclosed the position of the Sun on a cloudy day may have some basis in truth, scientists believe.

The ancient race are believed to have to discovered North America hundreds of years before Christopher Columbus.

Now experiments have shown that a crystal, called an Iceland spar, could detect the sun with an accuracy within a degree – allowing the legendary seafarers to navigate thousands of miles on cloudy days and during short Nordic nights.

Dr Guy Ropars, of the University of Rennes, and colleagues said "a precision of a few degrees could be reached" even when the sun was below the horizon.

An Iceland spar, which is transparent and made of calcite, was found in the wreck of an Elizabethan ship discovered thirty years ago off the coast of Alderney in the Channel Islands after it sank in 1592 just four years after the defeat of the Spanish Armada.

Viking legend tells of an enigmatic sunstone or sólarsteinn that, when held up to the sky, revealed the position of the sun, even on overcast days or below the horizon, the study reveals.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    BFB

BFB

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:16 PM

Pretty well known if you have been to a viking museum before.

"Its not true, until my brain says so" - BFB

#3    BackFromTheDead

BackFromTheDead

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

Still wouldnt convince me to cross the Atlantic though  :rolleyes:

Icelandic Spar is not magical, it is calcite, I have a crystal at home that certainly does not perform the accuracy described in the article. In fact, nothing at all on a cloudy day.

Why Vikings would embark on a 3 month long journey to somewhere that they did not even knew existed, is way beyond me. The stores they would have had to carry would have sunk their longships before leaving port... the whole idea is just a romantic notion, with no factual base to support it..

#4    Damrod

Damrod

Seeker of Knowledge

• Banned
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

View PostBackFromTheDead, on 02 November 2011 - 01:30 PM, said:

Icelandic Spar is not magical, it is calcite, I have a crystal at home that certainly does not perform the accuracy described in the article. In fact, nothing at all on a cloudy day.

Why Vikings would embark on a 3 month long journey to somewhere that they did not even knew existed, is way beyond me. The stores they would have had to carry would have sunk their longships before leaving port... the whole idea is just a romantic notion, with no factual base to support it..

Well...seeing how it is actually proven they landed in Canada years before Columbus hit the continent...doesn't really matter now does it?  They have found long house foundations dating to the 11th and 12th century and other viking relics...Columbus was not the first...Welcome to Vinland btw...

Edited by Damrod, 02 November 2011 - 01:56 PM.

#5    Swadwa

Swadwa

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 81 posts

• "My God, man. How long have I been here? Am I really awake, or am I just dreamin' I'm awake? How could my plans have gone so wrong?"

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

It’s not surprising that Leif was not acknowledged for the achievement and Columbus was because he was not a Christian. Christian society couldn’t in the past (and today) acknowledge and honor the achievement of a pagan. Even though Columbus was a genocidal mad-man who made Hitler look like a juvenile delinquent. http://socyberty.com...e-taino-nation/ He was even hauled back to Spain for his atrocities in chains – but Spanish Royalty exonerated him. So we name cities after him and honor him with a holiday – but what do you expect from a society that honors its criminals and mad-men – most of them today are in D.C.

#6    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,387 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

I'd like to see a video of someone using two or three in the described manner to offer proof of hypothises.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#7    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• 1,471 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:49 PM

Why Vikings would embark on a 3 month long journey to somewhere that they did not even knew existed, is way beyond me.

Drink probably had something to do with it.  :P

#8    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,557 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

I think from what they're saying it's just that one crystal that works for it. Certainly most calcite crystals won't do it. I assume it's something to do with the fractures within the spar that they happen to be aligned in such a way as to refract sunlight into a focussed point. Just a guess though.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#9    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Unknown title error

• 3,212 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:03 AM

You know after some thought I find this plausible. Can't label it factual yet but plausible is a good start.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#10    Druidus-Logos

Druidus-Logos

Psychic Spy

• 1,109 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

This is relatively old news.

Now, in this thread somewhere, someone wonders why they would have embarked on such a journey.  First of all, under proper conditions, 3 months is far too long an estimate for the trip from the west coast of northern Europe to Greenland, which is right next to Baffin Island and the rest of NA proper.  Once you reach iceland, which the Vikings clearly had, you can see weather evidence of land to the west.  Not only that, but more than just the Vikings had already reached at least American waters.  There is some support for the idea that northwestern European countries may have sailed to certain places relatively close to NA for fishing.  This "new land" they fished by was never explored, because these were fishermen who wanted to keep the valuable knowledge of the location of plentiful fish stock secret.  As a maritime mercenary/trade culture, the Vikings clearly would have explored routes to new lands, for plunder or trade (they traded with many cultures too, not just pillaging, that's a common misconception).  

Of course, once the temperature of the world briefly went down for a couple centuries, the Vikings lost contact with their colonies in Greenland, Newfoundland, and wherever else they'd reached.

~I am a dark melody of chaos and order, a shadowed figure painted upon the heavens of dusk.~
Censorship has always been used as a tool to subjugate minority ideas, regardless of validity.  Used to delegitimize certain points of view.  This kind of arbitary censorship will always be an injustice to humanity; it tries to brush ideas under the rug.  It forces the adoption of certain mainstream views, making it impossible to teach, learn, or speak about ideas that the censors disagree with.  This will always be unethical.

#11    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,121 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

View PostDruidus-Logos, on 06 November 2011 - 04:57 PM, said:

This is relatively old news.

Now, in this thread somewhere, someone wonders why they would have embarked on such a journey.  First of all, under proper conditions, 3 months is far too long an estimate for the trip from the west coast of northern Europe to Greenland, which is right next to Baffin Island and the rest of NA proper.  Once you reach iceland, which the Vikings clearly had, you can see weather evidence of land to the west.  Not only that, but more than just the Vikings had already reached at least American waters.  There is some support for the idea that northwestern European countries may have sailed to certain places relatively close to NA for fishing.  This "new land" they fished by was never explored, because these were fishermen who wanted to keep the valuable knowledge of the location of plentiful fish stock secret.  As a maritime mercenary/trade culture, the Vikings clearly would have explored routes to new lands, for plunder or trade (they traded with many cultures too, not just pillaging, that's a common misconception).  

Of course, once the temperature of the world briefly went down for a couple centuries, the Vikings lost contact with their colonies in Greenland, Newfoundland, and wherever else they'd reached.

Columbus had never crossed the ocean, he miscalculated the circumference of the earth, he had no concept of another continent and he swore Cuba was the mainland. Who gave him specific information on the distance to the New World? The information had to come from those who had been crossing the Atlantic for centuries before him -- the Norsemen and the Basques.

Nordic seafaring skills were passed on to other groups, and we know that by medieval times Basque seamen reached the Scandinavian fjords, the Baltic seas and later, with the development of the rudder and compass, reached Iceland and the coast of Terranova as they followed the cod and whale in pursuit of fish oil, the liquid gold of those years. Except for Canadian scientists, who have excavated Basque galleons, burial grounds and blubber-rendering works in Iceland and Terranova, the activities of the Basque whalers from the 11th to the 15th centuries have been overlooked

http://www.nytimes.c...bus-349492.html

#12    darkbreed

darkbreed

Psychic Spy

• 2,052 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:32 AM

Of course, there is tremendous amounts of evidence from ancient times, all over the world, showing for a fact that they new about americas already thousands of years ago and regularly traveled between americas and africa & europe. Vikings have been found in burials all over the world, from china to egypt, and there's plenty of other cultures that were sailing around the world, explorers, merchants having trading routes with different continents etc. There is absolutely no doubt about that and it is ridicoulous that large masses of people still believe Colombus discovered the Americas, and was one of the first people in the old world visiting the new world.

I've covered large amounts of research with evidence in my American Atlantis thread, where I've really gone in the depths and found some of the best evidence that leaves no question about ancient peoples of different continents being in touch and trading with eachother and sailing around to new lands.

Further on, Colombus himself already knew about Americas, and thats the reason he went there. He and his men were professional well-trained experienced sailors and would not fall that far off their ass as ending up in America instead of India as the official story says - and is still taught in schools to children.

Colombus worked on behalf of the Vatican, and it was the Pope that sent him on the mission, since they knew about Americas and the large amount of resources and possibilities there. His mission was to start the beginning of establishing the "New Atlantis", the Americas, as well as to get rid of large amounts of the natives and destroy their cultures and spiritual practices - just as they did with the witches in Europe. An additional missing was to retrieve valuable artifacts and items, among other things the Mayan calendar was brought back to the Vatican, where it went to analysis and studying until they figured it out and adjusted the Gregorian Calender in accordance with the Mayan Calendar, by making a new date be corresponding to the end date of the mayan calendar - 21st december 2012. This was highly signifcant because they are far from christians, more the opposite, and practices rituals, magick, occultism, esoteric activities and so on in serious depths. So they wanted to change the calendar of those days, which was the Julian one, to create the Gregorian one that had been synchronized in a much more useful occult way with the Mayan Calendar - including several very impotant dates that were already known about and planned back then. They are very obsessed with numerology and decided to make an event they had planned take place at a very deep, occult magical date, 12/21/12 - extremely esoteric and perfect for such ritualistic purposes. There was also another date of importance, which they needed to have on a specific date that would be more powerful numerologically towards the planned event of theirs, which would be the 911 incident. Another perfectly calculated numerological date, a date that is further on connected to 911 attack - or sacrificial occult ritual as it really were - was the 9/11 that passed recently this year 2011 - on the tenth aniversary date, straight on the very same date.

On that exact topic, more information with research evidence presented in my video presentation called "911 Mega Ritual - a centuries old plan" can be seen and checked out here:
http://www.unexplain...l=&fromsearch=1

And some more bits of evidence showing ancient contact between different continents and cultures thousands of years back can be found in my extensive American Atlants thread:
http://www.unexplain...l=&fromsearch=1

www.PleiadianTalk.tk/ - Perspectives from a member of the Great White Brotherhood
American Atlantis Research - Documenting pre-colombian world migration and Atlantis-America
Increase your astral proection skills - Here at Unexplained Mysteries Forums!

#13    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,121 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

They found Viking burials in China??

You don't happen to mean those Tocharians, right?

#14    BackFromTheDead

BackFromTheDead

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

View PostDamrod, on 02 November 2011 - 01:47 PM, said:

Well...seeing how it is actually proven they landed in Canada years before Columbus hit the continent...doesn't really matter now does it?  They have found long house foundations dating to the 11th and 12th century and other viking relics...Columbus was not the first...Welcome to Vinland btw...
Just curiosity (not doubting you) but which part of Canada do you refer to? Baffin Island?

#15    Damrod

Damrod

Seeker of Knowledge

• Banned
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

View PostBackFromTheDead, on 08 November 2011 - 06:55 PM, said:

Just curiosity (not doubting you) but which part of Canada do you refer to? Baffin Island?

Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and Labrador Island...I think...lol...I am positive the evidence was found and validated to something like the 11th or 12th century.  Roundhouse/longhouse foundations and iron and bronze artifacts... but honestly, I forget specifically what part, but I know it was one of the three....I am inclined to think it was Newfoundland/Nova Scotia and from there they went south into "Vineland" aka...land of grapes and wine....which would/could be north-eastern USA but we still don't have a collective agreement on where "Vineland" was.

No... it's pretty cut and dry and archaeologically proven that the Nordics hit the east coast of North America a couple centuries before Columbus did... but....who wants to pay to re-print all of those text books?

Side note...there is some (emphasis on "some") evidence that the Asians may have hit the west coast of north America even earlier...anchor stones (typical of Chinese "junks") off the coast of California seemingly date to the 8th or 9th century....nifty eh?....no more proof than that though...very cool stuff though.

Edited by Damrod, 15 November 2011 - 05:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users