Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

'TRAGIC MILESTONE' - 1000 US troops dead

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#121    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 15 September 2004 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE(bathory @ Sep 15 2004, 05:35 PM)
Now, I'm no military scholar,

well thats your problem

View Post

What, so it's common to lose more soldiers after the heavy fighting's over?  Really?  So it's not the result of poor planning then?

Look, I realize it's not all daisies over there, but I still can't see that there was a solid plan in place for after we booted Saddam out of power.

Nothing to see here.

#122    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE(Fluffybunny @ Sep 15 2004, 01:10 PM)
Babs, Wun please drop it. Please stay on topic and stop the personal attacks. Thanks.

View Post

I agree. This is getting old, and accomplishing nothing.
Kismit and I have disagreed many times in the past regarding politics, but I have always had(and still have) the highest respect for her. We agree to disagree, and that's ok, because not everyone is going to agree/believe the same things. There's no reason to attack someone

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#123    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 15 September 2004 - 04:52 PM

If it is poor planning then that was a disgrace because this happeneing was obvious to anyone.

It was clear we would end up fighting guerrilla warfare.

You only have to look at the afghanistan (soviet era) and N.ireland to see what happens when you invade another country .

Edited by wunarmdscissor, 15 September 2004 - 04:52 PM.

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#124    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 15 September 2004 - 06:19 PM

True, true.  It is pretty foolish to think that many of these guys are just gonna drop their guns and give us a good hearty handshake.  Still, from what I've read, aren't a lot of these guys foreigners, anyway (not Iraqis)?

Still, this would mean major combat really isn't over, now is it?

Nothing to see here.

#125    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 15 September 2004 - 07:02 PM

I am tired of answering wun.

He goes on and on, and no one tells him to drop it. But as soon as I answer his posts his friend, fluffy, says to drop it. I am not going to answer you anymore, wun. This is why it took me so long to reply to you, I am tired of all this.

Back on topic... original.gif

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

Henry David Thoreau...

#126    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE(snuffypuffer @ Sep 15 2004, 03:19 PM)

When major combat was declared over, it was meant to indicate that tanks and bombers would no longer be the primary weapon.
However, it seems this guerilla war is by far more “major” then the conventional war

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#127    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,671 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:57 PM

Joc stated that the two werent the same yet he couldnt back it up because henever experienced it, talon and lottie (who backs yourpoints occasionally) both backed me up and joc never replied again. I can only assume he realised he may have been wrong on this issue.

Below is the original quote from joc:

On one hand terrorism = terrorism no matter who the participants are or what their motives are. On the other hand the IRA did not have as an agenda, the total destruction and breakdown of the entire civilized world.

joc has a life apart from this forum and is quite busy therefore.  I have also found it quite boring and unsatisfying to bicker back and forth when you obviously don't even take the time to digest or try to understand another persons point of view.
It might help if you actually read the posts others take the time to submit.

Please reread the above quote and tell me what part of it is incorrect. original.gif

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#128    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 04:24 AM

major combat is over,
ie Saddams armvy + US army = over

everyone knew it would move into guerilla involvement, i think the US administration had a little too much faith in the Iraqi people and hadn't considered the numbers of foreign fighters getting in...

that said, 1 year isn't really enough time to make judgement on how things are going, this is regime change after all...

#129    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 16 September 2004 - 10:39 AM

babs im pretrty sure i have no idea what your on about, fluffy wasd telling ME and you to drop it, not just you, he was giving us both into trouble.

Joc, yeah the only difference was that the IRA wanted the complete destruction of the british state as a pose to the enitire world. much nicer. ive already answered that post joc.

anyway as more than just fluffy has gotten tired of our argument then im defo gonna make that the last post about that particulour subject.

i did try to move away from it by joining in with a post on-topic.

snuffy i think your right about foreign nationals being the main culprots of the guerrila style warfare although i do beleiev thgere are more than  a few iraqis invovled.

we shoulda been prepared for that though surely.

We shoulda had tighter border controls in place to stop the obvious influx that was gonna happen , instead of charging straight to baghdad. i think that it musta been poor planning.

Although i dont think we expected turkey to refuse us the use of their border, that was a bit if a shock and i think it really hampered the original plan.

saorsa na h-alba

#130    Phenomenon

Phenomenon

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:23 PM

that said, 1 year isn't really enough time to make judgement on how things are going, this is regime change after all...

It's going badly mate. The American government have under estimated big time.

#131    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,446 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:31 PM

I think it's quite obvious people are still dying there every day. Lets just complain about how terrible the American Government is for the rest of our lives. Who here is actually going to do something about it? I've written letters, voted, voiced my opinion wherever I can. Short of going into the service (I'm just a little to old for that) or running for office what else can I do?

I guess the only thing left that I can do is let everyone rub my nose in it forever.

#132    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:41 PM

lol.

Michelle really people cancomplain about it for much longer than that.

You know maybe in 1945 we shoulda just forgotten about nazism because why rub the german's nose in it.

You cant just forget about mistakes that have been made just as ww2 and its cause must be remembered for ever so must this for very different reasons.

saorsa na h-alba

#133    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,446 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:48 PM

Oh boy, they can and will do it forever wun, I'm glad I'm not a vampire. devil.gif

#134    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:51 PM

And so they should.

why shouldnt they?

They believe it was wrong just as much as people beleived nazism was wrong in this country in 1939 and we still go on about it.

Do you think we should just forget about it?

saorsa na h-alba

#135    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,446 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:54 PM

Well, I try not to dwell on the past and try to look to the future for ways to impove it. thumbsup.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users