Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

'TRAGIC MILESTONE' - 1000 US troops dead

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#16    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 08 September 2004 - 06:05 PM

Whatever our president says is good for another country 'is' good for our country.

And the draft 'may' be re-enacted, BurnSide; I see that happening. I believe my family 'should' go to war; I would be ashamed if they didn't feel that way. BTW, my nephew is in Iraq now.

...signing off from Matt Maupin country (hostage in Iraq)

Edited by Babs, 08 September 2004 - 06:06 PM.

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

Henry David Thoreau...

#17    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE(Babs @ Sep 8 2004, 01:05 PM)
BTW, my nephew is in Iraq now.

View Post

So is my brother.

Wether or not you agree with the Iraq war, the only way these troops' deaths would be for nothing is if we left without completing the job.

#18    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 08 September 2004 - 06:34 PM

Oh i see. Better they die for nothing, than live for nothing. Good attitude.
The war hasn't made the slightest change in their eyes, except now they are a America-fearing country like most other countries, and thousands of them are dead. ANd the war hasn't changed a thing in America, except now a 1000 people are dead.
Then again, that's the american way right.

#19    JAZ76US

JAZ76US

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 06:46 PM

Sad day indeed, my prayers go out to there families.

#20    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 08 September 2004 - 06:48 PM

Mine to.
To much bloodshed in the world, which is what my point is. I guess sometimes it is nessesary, however unfortunate and sad that is.

#21    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE(Kellalor @ Sep 8 2004, 03:13 PM)
QUOTE(Babs @ Sep 8 2004, 01:05 PM)
BTW, my nephew is in Iraq now.

View Post

Wether or not you agree with the Iraq war, the only way these troops' deaths would be for nothing is if we left without completing the job.

View Post

Excellent point. Nobody wants to fight and die in a foreign land, but the war is on, and to leave when the job isn't finished would mean all those that have died would have died in vain.
All we hear in the media is what went wrong, and how many people are dead. Nobody talks about the accomplishments. This may not have been the purpose for the war, but because of the war, a terrible dictator will no longer be filling mass graves and threatening it's neighbors, and we can put to rest whether or not the country had WMD or a program to develope them.
In Iraq, the Financial Management Information System (FMIS) in the Ministry of Finance is now fully operational. This is being implemented in 28 Ministries and four government agencies with technical support from the US Agency for International Development.
this link provides other examples of the accomplishments that could not have been done without going to war.
Granted this site is from the U.S. State Department, but it's still nice to see some positives from all this mess.

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#22    JAZ76US

JAZ76US

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 07:06 PM

I agree with Homer and Kellalor. I am not in favor of the war bye any means, but we cant just up and leave.

#23    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:07 PM

The war hasn't made the slightest change in their eyes

You're clueless if you honestly believe that. But then you do read Michael Moore.

rolleyes.gif

this link provides other examples of the accomplishments that could not have been done without going to war.

Good link.  thumbsup.gif

#24    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:18 PM

A smarter man than your president will ever be.
Fighting for your rights, the right for people to live, and NOT get shot, both overseas and in your own land.
But i'm not pro-murder, and that's all the war is to me, with the title 'war' to make it look justified.

Edited by BurnSide, 08 September 2004 - 08:21 PM.

#25    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE(BurnSide @ Sep 8 2004, 03:18 PM)
A smarter man than your president will ever be.

View Post

user posted image

OMG! You just made me spit soda all over my computer screen. That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time!

Thanks.   laugh.gif

user posted image

Here's a good book - Michael Moore Is A Big Fat Stupid White Man

Here's a good site.

user posted image user posted image

#26    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:40 PM

Doesn't change the fact that my ferrets stool sample could do a better job of being President.

In my opinion.

#27    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 08 September 2004 - 09:34 PM

Michael Moore Is A Big Fat Stupid White Man

Bringing his skin colour into it makes that a racist comment huh.gif

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#28    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 08 September 2004 - 09:49 PM

"Stupid fat white man!" laugh.gif Good Kellalor. Talon can't find any data to criticize.  cool.gif  

Well, BurnSide, what about that link Homer brought up? What about those positives?

Edited by Babs, 08 September 2004 - 09:53 PM.

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

Henry David Thoreau...

#29    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 10:01 PM

Not one of them justifies the death of one single person, American or not. That's what i think about it.

#30    Lottie

Lottie

The Nappy Ninja !!

• 7,516 posts

• "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Noel Coward

Posted 08 September 2004 - 10:05 PM

Bush Laments Loss of Life in Iraq

President George W Bush has paid tribute to the US soldiers killed in Iraq after the death toll hit the milestone of 1,000.  

"We appreciate the sacrifice of the men and women who wear the uniform. We'll honour their memories by completing the mission," he said.

The US military death toll in Iraq has reached 1,000 since March 2003 when US forces invaded, the Pentagon says.

The stark milestone follows a recent surge in fighting and attacks.

More than a dozen US soldiers have been killed in the last two days alone.

Correspondents say the casualty figures re-open the debate over President Bush's decision to go to war in Iraq, ahead of the November election.

Meanwhile, violence has continued in Baghdad's Sadr City and Falluja.

US forces resumed air strikes against targets in Falluja on Wednesday, with the fighter planes pounding the industrial zone. Two people are reported killed.  
About 100 insurgents were killed in the restive town on Tuesday, according to the US military.  

US marines were said to have used air strikes and artillery fire in response to a bomb attack on Monday that killed seven marines and three Iraqi soldiers.

Also on Tuesday, about 40 Iraqis were killed as US forces fought Shia insurgents in a Baghdad stronghold of rebel cleric Moqtada Sadr, health officials said.

Two Italian aid workers and two Iraqis were also kidnapped from their Baghdad offices in broad daylight.

The Pentagon announced late on Tuesday there had been 1,001 military casualties since US-led forces moved in to Iraq to topple Saddam Hussein 18 months ago.  

Another US soldier died overnight, bringing the total number to at least 1,002.  

He was killed in an attack on a military convoy north of Baghdad.

The US is losing soldiers at an average of 2.25 a day

Of the total number killed, three were civilian contractors. The number of wounded had reached 7,000.

All but 140 of the deaths have come since 1 May 2003, when President Bush declared an end to major combat operations under a banner reading "Mission Accomplished". About three quarters have been in combat situations.

There are no official figures for the number of Iraqi civilians killed in the same period. A group called the Iraq Body Count (IBC) believes the number exceeds 11,000.
Source

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users