Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

TWA 800 Shot Down by a Military Missile?

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#226    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:22 AM

It did not need to have been a military missile. It could also have been another islamist terrorism incident.

While I don´t believe this particular conspiracy, this is one that at least (unlike e.g. the 9/11 lunacy) meets some of the most basic criteria: There would have been a motive (the Clinton admin would do everything to wipe islamo terrorism under the carpet), and it would have been feasible (a relatively small number of government employees and data sets to manipulate).

So, I keep my mind open on this one.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#227    Obviousman

Obviousman

Spaced out and plane crazy

• 1,839 posts

• "Truth needs no defence. Nobody - NOBODY - can ever take the footsteps I made on the surface of the Moon away from me."
    Gene Cernan, Apollo 17

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 25 July 2013 - 04:22 AM, said:

It did not need to have been a military missile. It could also have been another islamist terrorism incident.

While I don´t believe this particular conspiracy, this is one that at least (unlike e.g. the 9/11 lunacy) meets some of the most basic criteria: There would have been a motive (the Clinton admin would do everything to wipe islamo terrorism under the carpet), and it would have been feasible (a relatively small number of government employees and data sets to manipulate).

So, I keep my mind open on this one.

Excellent post. My own training says that this also is not true but you are correct: it could have been possible.

#228    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,863 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

I always thought it may have been the act of a lone nut ,  in the military.   The act was then covered up for public peace of mind and to save the military embarrassment .     ?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#229    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

View Postlightly, on 25 July 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

I always thought it may have been the act of a lone nut ,  in the military.   The act was then covered up for public peace of mind and to save the military embarrassment . ?

More likely it was simply an accident, and yet another example of the many of hundreds of 'friendly fire'.  At another internet forum like this, there is a poster claiming that his son or grandson or nephew (can't remember) told him about it when it happened.  The kid was on the ship that fired it.  Makes sense to me.  That's why the WH was in on it so quickly.

#230    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,903 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

A friendly fire from a Navy Ship off the U.S. coast ? It would be almost impossible for a Navy crew to launch onto a U.S. aircraft .Theres so many safety`s built into our launch priority`s systems. If you only knew. But then again Key word there is "Knew" past tense To Know ,to have knowledge of something. :tu:
It was not a missile ! I know this. But if you must ask again,Look at the actual report

This is a Work in Progress!

#231    skyeagle409

skyeagle409

Forum Divinity

• 32,560 posts

• Keep Your Mach Up and Check Six

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 25 July 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

More likely it was simply an accident, and yet another example of the many of hundreds of 'friendly fire'.  At another internet forum like this, there is a poster claiming that his son or grandson or nephew (can't remember) told him about it when it happened.  The kid was on the ship that fired it.  Makes sense to me.  That's why the WH was in on it so quickly.

Let's take a look because the USS Normandy, which carries the Standard missile, was nowhere near TWA 800 when it exploded, so where did the false story that the U.S. Navy shot down TWA 800 come from?

Author of Flight 800 Tale Admits Hoax

A man who used the Internet to accuse the Navy of shooting down TWA Flight 800 told CNN that his actions were "reckless and a mistake." Ian Goddard said he just wanted "to give the government a black eye by any means that looked opportune," according to CNN. "TWA 800 was just a vehicle for my larger agenda." In March, Goddard released a report on the Internet claiming that the government was covering up that a Navy missile brought down the plane in July 1996, killing all 230 people on board.

http://articles.lati...6/news/mn-50866

Missile hoax dashes all Web credibility

A keystroker who says he is Ian Goddard admitted last week that his earlier claim on the Internet that a U.S. Navy missile shot down TWA Flight 800 was false. "Reckless and a mistake" was the language he used in explaining it and apologizing.

http://www.deseretne...ity.html?pg=all

Then came Pierre Salinger

It might have stayed simply an Internet conspiracy had it not been for Pierre Salinger, President Kennedy's press secretary who had worked as a network news correspondent for a time.
Three months after the TWA tragedy, while working as a freelance public relations director, he claimed to have verified the friendly fire cover-up.

"It's a document I got about five weeks ago -- came from France -- from an intelligence agent of France. He had been given this document from an American Secret Service agent based in France," Salinger said at the time. "He had been doing an inquiry and had some contacts with the U.S. Navy."

It turned out to be a discredited document that had been floating around the Internet for weeks.

http://www.cnn.com/2...twa.conspiracy/

To sum it up, the claim that the U.S. Navy shot down TWA 800 was determined to be false..

KEEP YOUR MACH UP AND CHECK SIX

#232    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 11,512 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

It was a pipe bomb.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#233    skyeagle409

skyeagle409

Forum Divinity

• 32,560 posts

• Keep Your Mach Up and Check Six

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 25 July 2013 - 04:47 PM, said:

A friendly fire from a Navy Ship off the U.S. coast ? It would be almost impossible for a Navy crew to launch onto a U.S. aircraft .Theres so many safety`s built into our launch priority`s systems. If you only knew. But then again Key word there is "Knew" past tense To Know ,to have knowledge of something. :tu:
It was not a missile ! I know this. But if you must ask again,Look at the actual report

You are correct. The USS Normandy was nowhere near TWA 800 when it exploded and it was determined that the missile story was a hoax.

KEEP YOUR MACH UP AND CHECK SIX

#234    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,903 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:52 AM

The rea; problem Skyeagle is that the C.T`s only see what they want to believe,and fabricate into there needs ! :tu:
Remember ITs always about the money ! Like selling the entire idea for doing another follow up show !

#235    RaptorBites

RaptorBites

Poltergeist

• 2,208 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:42 AM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 25 July 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

Are supposed to take here say as evidence?

No, you surround yourself with a whole different kettle of crazy. - Sir Wearer of Hats

#236    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

RB

I assume you meant to include "we" between 'are' and 'supposed', and 'what you' between something else? :innocent:

No sir, you need not.  You may consider what I post here as opinion, just as I consider what you say here as opinion.

No problema, amigo.

#237    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,264 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

It doesn't matter how many times you post the honest to God truth about how TWA800 exploded which has been proved on this thread over and over, there will always be someone who believes Salinger's monomyth.

Maybe it was Zimmerman with a shoulder launching air to air missile.

Make as much sense as most of the conspiracy codswallop that's presented here as fact.

#238    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,903 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:34 AM

View PostAntilles, on 26 July 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

It doesn't matter how many times you post the honest to God truth about how TWA800 exploded which has been proved on this thread over and over, there will always be someone who believes Salinger's monomyth.

Maybe it was Zimmerman with a shoulder launching air to air missile.

Make as much sense as most of the conspiracy codswallop that's presented here as fact.
YEah ! Thats the Ticket !

Attached Thumbnails

• conspiracy-theories-lol.jpg

#239    pallidin

pallidin

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,763 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

Another CT theory "shot down" by friendly fire.  :passifier:

#240    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

Finally got around to watching the documentary by Epix. I don't consider myself a conspiracy theorist, but I thought that at least parts of it were compelling, especially the eyewitness testimony who supposedly didn't just see a bright object streaking up into the sky, but either two objects converging or an object taking off from the ground leaving a corkscrew contrail. TSA agents that were interviewed said that they witnessed FBI agents either re-labeling evidence or straight up physically tampering with them. Insisting that the former investigators who are coming forward are doing this just for the money seems overly cynical, they did seem pretty genuine to me.

Having said that, the documentary does assert an incredibly wild claim that it was in fact 3 land/sea based objects that take down TWA Flight 800. They don't really get into the objects one-by-one to let us know how they exactly came to this conclusion. I assume it was a way to corroborate all of the eyewitness testimony, of which is numerous. Also, the doc does not conjecture whether the "missiles" were accidental friendly fire, terrorist act or any other possible origin. It seems to want to go strictly by the evidence, whether you agree with the findings or not.

If you're a hardcore skeptic, this doc probably won't sway you. But it is very watchable, well done, and in my opinion, light on the crazy which these sort of docs can be prone to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users