Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Did the Romans have cars?How a

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
118 replies to this topic

#1    Mike 215

Mike 215

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:16 AM

How advanced were the Romans and the ancients? Maybe they had cars. In 100 AD there was a coin minted to celebrate the making of the first highway in Rome. This coin shows the Roman emperor Trajan driving a car with his hand on a steering wheel and he is wearing a seat belt. Here is a quote from a coin magazine about this coin:
  "Via traiana, an extension of the Appian Way in southern Italy. The depiction of the personification of the highway is reminiscient of the art nouvean posters of the 20s and 30s advertising motor cars."
  Here are some web sites: http://tjbuggey.anci...fo/viatraj.html
  http:tjbuggey.ancients.info/images//viatraj.jpg

So what are the implications? IF the Romans had a working steam or gasoline engine, they we know how the pyramids were built.

#2    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,907 posts

• Take care with your words for once spoken they can never be taken back, only be forgiven and rarely forgotten.

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:27 AM

The thing that the figure is in, on the coin, looks nothing like a car but rather some manner of vines.
The "steering wheel" looks to be a spinning wheel for making thread and such.

IF the Romans had a working steam or gasoline engine......

Therein lies the problem, they didn't. If we have artifacts of hand tools then we'd artifacts of machinery as well.
If the Romans were that advanced then there would be plenty of  automobile artifacts including schematics detailing their production.

#3    maca02

maca02

A Bear Of Very Little Brain

• 2,241 posts

• ALL HAIL THE ALE

"There is no truth. There is only perception.
    Gustave Flaubert

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:27 AM

Superb eyesight Mike, i saw no car or seatbelt <_<  <_<

ALL HAIL THE ALE

#4    Mike 215

Mike 215

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:43 AM

No seatbelt? Then what is going across his lap? The belt seems to be loose because he seems to be parking the machine. NOtice his head is turned to the back as he backs up into the royal parking spot.
So those of you who cannot believe the Romans built such a machine, here is another anwser: it was brought back by a time traveler. The seat belt (notice like modern belt comes in from a panel on his left side) and the steering wheel are products of our time;
  If you are not happy sit explanation one and two, how about three: the aliens give the car to the emperor for encouraging his people to worship them as gods.

#5    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,803 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:55 AM

What would they power the car with?

The greeks had a "steam engine" but it was more of a party piece rather then a functioning motor as we know it today.

#6    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,121 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:56 AM

The Romans had carts, not cars:

Posted Image

And this is your goddess holding a wheel:

Posted Image

Edited by Abramelin, 18 November 2011 - 12:58 AM.

#7    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,378 posts

• Question everything

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:05 AM

There are numerous versions of this coin from different mintings. It's pretty obvious it's just a reclining woman with a robe draped over her legs. The cart wheel is in keeping with it's commemoration of the completion of the Via Traiana.

More examples, most with much clearer details, including several sesterces with similar poses:

http://www.acsearch....=similar:273527

Edit to add, Take a look at this relief from the Arch of Trajan also commemorating the Via Traiana:

http://www.filcoo.co...vento_guide.htm

All it's missing is the wheel.

(edit: fixed the first link hopefully)

Edited by Oniomancer, 18 November 2011 - 01:55 AM.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#8    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,291 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:16 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 18 November 2011 - 12:56 AM, said:

Posted Image

hmm...   she's looking behind, as if she's just heard the siren and saw the lights come on?

Edited by lightly, 18 November 2011 - 01:17 AM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#9    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,305 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:36 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 18 November 2011 - 12:56 AM, said:

The Romans had carts, not cars..

Exactly, ancient Romans did not have automobiles.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#10    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:58 AM

Romans had cars?....hmmm, the best we could do was a wheelchair !

Attached Thumbnails

• britania.jpg

#11    Superglobe

Superglobe

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 333 posts

• [insert snarky comment here]

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:02 AM

No, no they did not.

And honestly, it's strange that you chose to interpret that coin as a car. It honestly looks more like a jet-ski, which would be both somehow even more absurd, and a thousand times more hilarious.

nothing to see here, folks.

#12    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:56 AM

I think that had the Romans been given a car by the gods or were able to make one I am sure they would have been so proud of the fact that they would have got an artist who could at least draw one for their coins. I  think that anyone who actually believes they did have such a form of transport is the same sort of person who would believe me when I say that the word 'Gullible' has accidentally been left out of the latest version of the Oxford English Dictionary . :unsure2:

Edited by Englishgent, 18 November 2011 - 02:57 AM.

#13    Blackwhite

Blackwhite

Psychic Spy

• 1,081 posts

• I am minuspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericabobulations.

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

The first working steam-powered vehicle that we know about was likely to have been designed by Ferdinand Verbiest, a Flemish member of a Jesuit mission in China around 1672. It was a 25 and a half inch long scale-model toy for the Chinese Emperor, that was unable to carry a driver or a passenger.

But, for all we know, maybe a steam-powered vehicle was built centuries earlier.

#14    The Gremlin

The Gremlin

Gnawing at the ankles of Falsehood

• 2,008 posts

• sniffing the finger of truth

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

View PostMike 215, on 18 November 2011 - 12:16 AM, said:

How advanced were the Romans and the ancients? Maybe they had cars. In 100 AD there was a coin minted to celebrate the making of the first highway in Rome. This coin shows the Roman emperor Trajan driving a car with his hand on a steering wheel and he is wearing a seat belt. Here is a quote from a coin magazine about this coin:
  "Via traiana, an extension of the Appian Way in southern Italy. The depiction of the personification of the highway is reminiscient of the art nouvean posters of the 20s and 30s advertising motor cars."
  Here are some web sites: http://tjbuggey.anci...fo/viatraj.html
  http:tjbuggey.ancients.info/images//viatraj.jpg

So what are the implications? IF the Romans had a working steam or gasoline engine, they we know how the pyramids were built.
:lol: :lol: :lol:  
most amusing.

seriously though, I dont think that steam locomotion was too far away from them...they had other machines that used steam so it was probably only a matter of time and genius.....
.....something which they ran out of all too soon.

Edited by lil gremlin, 18 November 2011 - 01:42 PM.

I rarely talk about such things but I once shoveled 18 tons of material in 11 min-
utes. It was under ideal conditions which allowed use of the legs and gravity
but I know no one who could have matched it and I do know work
...Cladking
If you were a dragon wouldn't you rather eat fat, alocohol fill, Nordic giants, than stringy little Chinamen?   Draconic Chronicler.
You claim you do research and then disregard the fact the Pyramids were built by God, which is why no man-made computer can replicate it.  The Interpreter

#15    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,808 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

View PostMike 215, on 18 November 2011 - 12:16 AM, said:

You are suggesting that Romans are hundreds of years ahead of their time, with the steam and even more so with the gasoline. If they had developed a steam engine I assume it would have been used quite widely in areas other than transport and to suggest gasoline would mean they were pumping and refining oil. Are you further suggesting they knew how the pyramids were built?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users