Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Christian 'fired for refusing to wear '666'

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,045 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:10 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

A devout Christian factory worker was fired after he refused to wear a 666 sticker he feared would doom him to eternal damnation, a lawsuit has claimed.

Billy E. Hyatt says he was fired from Pliant Corp, a plastics factory in northern Georgia, near Dalton, after he refused to wear a sticker proclaiming that his factory had been accident-free for 666 days.

That number is considered the 'mark of the beast' in the Bible's Book of Revelation describing the apocalypse.

Hyatt, who said he's a devout Christian, had worked for the north Georgia plastics company since June 2007 and like other employees wore stickers each day that proclaimed how long the factory had gone without an accident.

But he grew nervous in early 2009, as the number of accident-free days crept into the 600s.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

Rolf

In full fairness his religion does tell him not to receive the mark of the beast.

#3    veledran

veledran

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:21 PM

It's only a sticker. If the employee felt it was against his religion, I don't see the big deal in giving him a one day pass on it.

#4    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,799 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:32 PM

In order to receive the mark of the beast, it would have to be on written (tattoo?) his forehead or right hand. Stickers don't count, so he was kinda being ridiculous.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#5    randym23

randym23

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

• the question IS the answer

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

though I think firing him was a bit harsh, (should have just written him up and a series of infractions would have been a much more valid reason) , I think that he was being ridiculous too.
this story smells a bit fishy to me. It seems as if there is some information is missing to it.
I can't imagine an employer firing someone for that.

and visit my site:
Posted Image

#6    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 6,981 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

I bet the 420 days accident free sticker was a big hit at the plant though. :D

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#7    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:42 PM

View Postveledran, on 21 November 2011 - 03:21 PM, said:

It's only a sticker. If the employee felt it was against his religion, I don't see the big deal in giving him a one day pass on it.

I agree, what is the big deal.  And surely they had to realize the implications of that number.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#8    voidla

voidla

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:46 PM

Is it wrong if I found this story quite funny?

I see where the man is coming from, but it's XXX days accident free, not 666 Support The Devil Day.

Everything and nothing is impossible.

It makes sense both are what makes each other.

#9    _Only

_Only

• 6,463 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

The end is nigh! :devil:

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#10    George Ford

George Ford

Shadow Slayer

• 2,644 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

There would be outrage and possible violence if you tried to get a muslim to wear some sort of 'evil' symbol.
This person did right to stick to their guns, his bosses should have put it down to an OCD or some other mental illness. I hope he is able to sue the pants off them!

“Extraordinary claims require extraoardinary evidence”

~
Carl Sagan

#11    Mr_Snstr

Mr_Snstr

Psychic Spy

• 1,161 posts

• Live Free or Don't

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

View Postrandym23, on 21 November 2011 - 03:39 PM, said:

though I think firing him was a bit harsh, (should have just written him up and a series of infractions would have been a much more valid reason) , I think that he was being ridiculous too.
this story smells a bit fishy to me. It seems as if there is some information is missing to it.
I can't imagine an employer firing someone for that.

I agree, I have no doubt there is more to this story.

I think: Bottom line no one liked this guy, maybe wasn't even a good worker. First excuse to get rid of him that popped up and they jumped on it.

#12    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,033 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

I wonder if any other employee "forgot" to wear their sticker in the other 665 days?  In our office of 10 employees it's hard to get them to remember to do the dishes five days in a row.

If the answer is yes, out of "X" number of employees, EVERY one of them wore their sticker EVERY day then sure, write the guy up.  Otherwise, management needs to get over it.

I would HOPE there is more to the story and that the company didn't fire a good employee over this.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#13    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:06 PM

Hyatt says he told a manager that wearing it would force him 'to accept the mark of the beast and to be condemned to hell'

I would have fired him too for acting like this.. If the rest were told to wear it.. he has no business objecting ...

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#14    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 6,981 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

He should have just peed his pants on the 665th day and told everyone it was an accident. That way the workplace would have never been 'accident' free for 666 days.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#15    sam12six

sam12six

Psychic Spy

• 1,346 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

I hate it, but the guy seems to have a good case. He took a voluntary 3 day suspension from work to avoid the scary sticker and was later fired for no further incident (according to the story).

The only thing I can imagine (and it's pure conjecture) is that the type of person to make that big a deal out of such an innocuous sticker might have made a similar big deal out of other things and they were just sick of him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users