Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Doubts Over Bush's Military Record

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:33 PM

MEMOS ROCK BUSH TEAM

Fresh questions have been raised over the service record of George Bush after it emerged he may have received favourable treatment during his time in the Texas Air National Guard because of his family connections.

Mr Bush's aides have always insisted the President was suspended honourably from the Guard simply because he decided to skip a medical.  

However, new memos obtained by CBS news show Mr Bush was also stopped from flying planes because he did not meet standards.  

Despite this, his commanding officer was "pressured from above" to give Mr Bush favourable reports, the memos reveal.  

The memos also raise questions over whether the Bush family may have pulled strings to get him into the Air Guard so he could avoid going to Vietnam.  

The four documents come from the personal files of Col. Jerry Killian, Mr Bush's squadron commander.  

The first memo is a direct order to take "an annual physical examination" - a requirement for all pilots. Mr Bush missed the test.  

Another memo refers to a phone call from the lieutenant in which he and his commander "discussed options of how Bush can get out of coming to drill from now through November." It says due to other commitments "he may not have time."  

On August 1, 1972, Col. Killian grounded Mr Bush for failure to perform to US Air Force/Texas Air National Guard standards and for failure to take his annual physical as ordered.  

A year after Mr Bush's suspension from flying, Killian was asked to write another assessment.  

Killian's memo said he was being pressured by his superiors to give the young pilot a favourable yearly evaluation and to "sugarcoat" his review. He refused, saying, "I'm having trouble running interference and doing my job."  

The leak is bad news for the Bush campaign team, who have been critical of election opponent John Kerry's Vietnam war record.  

White House Communications Director Dan Bartlett said: "The bottom line is that there is no truth to this."

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-13217922,00.html

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#2    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 16,512 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 09 September 2004 - 03:28 PM

Before the Bush bashing gets started, I'd just like to say, I don't give a rats ass about what happened so long ago. I wish they would just leave Bush and Kerry's military crap in the past where it belongs.

#3    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 03:31 PM

i hope CBS come good with their sources etc otherwise i think its just an attempt to boost opinion polls of kerry:)

i do hope they realise that eventually people will get sick of being told how bad Bush supposedly is and this will lead to an increase in votes for Bush

Edited by bathory, 09 September 2004 - 03:32 PM.

#4    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 09 September 2004 - 03:36 PM

I wish they would just leave Bush and Kerry's military crap in the past where it belongs.

Yeah, I don't the American obssession with whether their leaders were good soldiers or not. In Scotland we vote people based on policies, not military records.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#5    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 09 September 2004 - 03:39 PM

I think it's silly to care weather or not they have good Military records. Why is it suddenly so important?

#6    Velikovsky

Velikovsky

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

• It's mind over matter,
    I don't mind because
    You don't matter

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:08 PM

We're a military country. Constant wars since the Civil War.
So whether or not you served your country with honor is very important.

Even for myself I don't support the war, I don't support the government but I still did my time in the military.

Edited by Velikovsky, 09 September 2004 - 06:09 PM.

Posted Image
Columnist for Unexplained Mysteries.

#7    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 16,512 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:22 PM

Velikovsky, I'm sure you did an admirable job, I didn't mean to diminish that. wink2.gif  I am just getting tired of hearing about some things that, to me at this point seem irrelevant.

Twenty years ago I did some things that I'm not particularly proud of and I wouldn't want them thrown in my face every time I turned around. I'm a completely different person than I was then, and I want to hear more about who they are now.

Thank you for helping protect me when I was young and stupid. wink2.gif

#8    Angelofmercy

Angelofmercy

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:24 PM

Michelle, you make a wonderful point. I could care less who did what when.  Tell me what you are going to do now.

And don't change your mind every five minutes either!

Sacred Duty Yadda yadda yadda

#9    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:37 PM

I agree with Michelle. This should be left in the past. As a former military person, I used to be very ashamed at former President Clinton for being a draft dodger, but my opinion on that has changed during his second term, and that act didn’t prevent him from being a capable leader.
Whether what is being reported is accurate or not, everyone does stupid things from time to time, and I don’t think someone trying to get out of fighting for a war almost nobody agreed with anyway-30 something years ago-disqualifies that person from the presidency.

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#10    Velikovsky

Velikovsky

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

• It's mind over matter,
    I don't mind because
    You don't matter

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:46 PM

The problem with it is that he chose to send troops to war. If he used connections to avoid the draft and didn't bother to show up how does he have the moral right to send troops to war?
I couldn't stand Clinton either. He had no right to send troops to combat.

If you avoid service during a time of war you should have no right to send troops to war.

Posted Image

#11    JAZ76US

JAZ76US

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:51 PM

I agree with Michelle also, I am tired of hearing about there military records.

#12    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(Velikovsky @ Sep 9 2004, 03:46 PM)
If you avoid service during a time of war you should have no right to send troops to war.

View Post

Although you make a very good point, I think due to it being so long ago, it shouldn’t matter at this point. People change in time, and time changes people…or something like that

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#13    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 16,512 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:36 PM

You're so right Homer!!!! Does anybody think it would make any difference if either one of them said that they deeply regreted what they had done? tongue.gif

#14    Velikovsky

Velikovsky

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

• It's mind over matter,
    I don't mind because
    You don't matter

Posted 10 September 2004 - 05:54 AM

Okay let me put it like this. IF Bush is a draft dodger, that means he avoided going to the war. Now the way the military works that means one extra name had to be pulled to replace Bush. That person had to face a situation that may have caused his death while Bush was sitting at home. What gives anybody the right to say that one life is more important than anothers. If Bush did, he basically said my life is more important than yours.
I would not send somebody else to do my duty. I have the honor to carry it out myself. If I die so be it, I'll do it with honor and integrity.

Posted Image

#15    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 08:22 AM

If he used connections to avoid the draft and didn't bother to show up how does he have the moral right to send troops to war?

used his connections to avoid the draft?
he was in the National Guard...he also fullfilled above what his requirements were (he made up for the time he missed) but little facts like that aren't important

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users