Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Most liveable alien worlds ranked

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,578 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

View Postscowl, on 26 November 2011 - 09:33 PM, said:

I haven't read that and I can't find any example that supports that. Every model I've seen shows that thinner atmospheres away from the sun either quickly lose their heat to space before they can conduct it around the planet or trap the heat creating intense temperatures, depending on their distance from their sun.

http://geosci.uchica...tesApJL2011.pdf

This paper here shows a model with Atmospheric pressure equal to Earth's with 20% CO2 mixed with N for Gliese 581g having a tempurature gradient of only 110 K between day/night sides.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

#17    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:21 PM

View Postlost_shaman, on 26 November 2011 - 11:45 PM, said:

http://geosci.uchica...tesApJL2011.pdf

This paper here shows a model with Atmospheric pressure equal to Earth's with 20% CO2 mixed with N for Gliese 581g having a tempurature gradient of only 110 K between day/night sides.
Very strict (i.e. unlikely) conditions theoretically still resulting in a wide temperature variation by Earth standards.

#18    felines3

felines3

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

• The more normal something appears to be,
    The more insane; it actually is.

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:02 PM

Awwwee  Can i go?

#19    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,578 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:27 AM

View Postscowl, on 27 November 2011 - 06:21 PM, said:

Very strict (i.e. unlikely) conditions theoretically still resulting in a wide temperature variation by Earth standards.

How so? It's a larger planet than Earth so out gassing could easily account for such a CO2 concentration and Nitrogen isn't going to be uncommon in Exo-Atmospheres so I don't see any unlikely conditions and at best that temp. gradient is only 15-20 Kelvin greater than what we might typically see here on Earth and about 20 K less than record hot/cold temps. set on Earth.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users