Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New “sun worship” sites found at Stonehenge

MissingAChance

Archeologists have discovered two new pits at the mysterious Stonehenge site that shed potential light on its ritual use. The pits are aligned in a celestial pattern, suggesting that they could have been used for sunrise and sunset rituals; the pits pre-date the construction of the famous rock formations more than 5,000 years ago.

The discovery was the handiwork of a group called the Stonehenge Hidden Landscapes Project, which has been working at the Stonehenge site since last year. The project's leaders are an international team of archeologists who've been using geophysical imaging techniques to develop a profile of the site's ritual uses.

arrow3.gifRead more...

_56980532_stonehenge2-1.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paracelse

• Karlis

• xYlvax

• Skeptic Chicken

Yes but this is the origin of so called God, Jah, Alah, Buda... When religion moved to other places of the world it was given new name for the same god- sun i mean. Sun - good god, Moon - bad god simple prehistoric definition. :D

Yes but this is the origin of so called God, Jah, Alah, Buda... When religion moved to other places of the world it was given new name for the same god- sun i mean. Sun - good god, Moon - bad god simple prehistoric definition. :D

Heu what you're writing is very patriarchal :P Moon=Isisp=Astarte=Diana=Brigid Sun=male.

:innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

The question is who built it. The Celts worshiped in Oak groves - not stone circles. According to their mythology it was built by a race a giants long before the Celts were here. Science has confirmed that it does predate the Celts. Besides, the Celtic calendar like so many other native cultures is lunar not solar, which Stonehenge is definitely connected to the later (solar).

The question is who built it. The Celts worshiped in Oak groves - not stone circles. According to their mythology it was built by a race a giants long before the Celts were here. Science has confirmed that it does predate the Celts. Besides, the Celtic calendar like so many other native cultures is lunar not solar, which Stonehenge is definitely connected to the later (solar).

The culture who developed Stonehenge was definitely pre-Celtic and but the Celt worshiped the Sun as well as the Moon. The town of Lugdunum, today Lyon in France was build in homage of the Celtic God Lug. With Belenus they were both solar Gods.

From the OP:

Virtually every square meter in a five square mile area surrounding the world most famous pre-historic monument will be examined geophysically to a depth of up to two metres, he says.

I find that pretty impressive.

Gavin Mendez's new book on Atlantis deals with this far greater history of Stonehenge. I was fascinated when I saw that dna showed that there was a central spot off the coast of Ireland (where the Rockall Rise is located now under water) and spread out in an eastward fan to Germany and Turkey. Salt mines for salting food to make it last so trade can be RESUMED.

To add my opinion. I thought they discovered that it was a temple of the dead? Like, they discovered skeletal remains of people who were sacrificed, namely a hunter who was shot dead with a flint arror through the skull. Didn't they also discover that when sound is repeated and played in harmony inside the stones, you begin to enter a trance like state? This is from Mystery Quest. Seemed alot more logical and had some good evidence than Monster Quest, so I can only assume it'd be partially true.

So given this. People worshipped the sun and or stars. And as the ages progressed, they felt the need to sacrifice humans to the sun in tribute or something. Then when they don't get some sort of recognition from their "god", the sun, they get the stones (i know it's probably not like this, given the stones were from miles away) and make a halluconagenic circle to try and get visions or to be with their god?

Here is another article to add more information to the OP:

Stonehenge Reveals New Clues of Ancient Worship

Stonehenge may have been a place for sun worship long before the iconic stones were erected more than 5,000 years ago, according to archaeologists who are carrying out the biggest-ever virtual excavation.

Using noninvasive technologies such as ground-penetrating radar and geophysical imaging, a team from the University of Birmingham's IBM Visual and Spatial Technology Centre, known as VISTA, and the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Archaeological Prospection and Virtual Archaeology in Vienna, discovered evidence of two huge pits positioned on a celestial alignment at Stonehenge.

Measuring more than 16 feet across and at least 3 feet deep, the pits lie within the Cursus, a large enclosure north of Stonehenge, which predates the prehistoric monument by up to 500 years.

"This is the first time we have seen anything quite like this at Stonehenge," said project leader Vince Gaffney, an archaeologist from the University of Birmingham. ... (snip) ...

Source

• 1 month later...

Stonehenge,one of many,we still practice the old ways today,now a days its called HALLOWEEN,we were pagans,people of the earth,natures cycles we understood,Stonehenge,place of the dead where we showed our respect to our ancestors,the other Stonehenge in same area,where they ended the ritual was the place of the living,renewal,crops birth celebration of life,basically our new year started.