Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

New “sun worship” sites found at Stonehenge

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    MissingAChance

MissingAChance

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

• There's small choice in rotten apples.

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:17 PM

news.yahoo.com said:

Archeologists have discovered two new pits at the mysterious Stonehenge site that shed potential light on its ritual use. The pits are aligned in a celestial pattern, suggesting that they could have been used for sunrise and sunset rituals; the pits pre-date the construction of the famous rock formations more than 5,000 years ago.
The discovery was the handiwork of a group called the Stonehenge Hidden Landscapes Project, which has been working at the Stonehenge site since last year. The project's leaders are an international team of archeologists who've been using geophysical imaging techniques to develop a profile of the site's ritual uses.

Posted Image Read more...
Posted Image

You and your mom are hilbillies. This is a house of learning doctors.

#2    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

Ancient history is never quite like it appears at first site.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#3    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

Yes but this is the origin of so called God, Jah, Alah, Buda... When religion moved to other places of the world it was given new name for the same god- sun i mean. Sun - good god, Moon - bad god simple prehistoric definition. :D

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#4    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

View PostNuke_em, on 29 November 2011 - 03:01 PM, said:

Yes but this is the origin of so called God, Jah, Alah, Buda... When religion moved to other places of the world it was given new name for the same god- sun i mean. Sun - good god, Moon - bad god simple prehistoric definition. :D
Heu what you're writing is very patriarchal :P  Moon=Isisp=Astarte=Diana=Brigid Sun=male.

:innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6

#5    Swadwa

Swadwa

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 81 posts

• "My God, man. How long have I been here? Am I really awake, or am I just dreamin' I'm awake? How could my plans have gone so wrong?"

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

The question is who built it. The Celts worshiped in Oak groves - not stone circles. According to their mythology it was built by a race a giants long before the Celts were here. Science has confirmed that it does predate the Celts. Besides, the Celtic calendar like so many other native cultures is lunar not solar, which Stonehenge is definitely connected to the later (solar).

#6    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

View PostSwadwa, on 29 November 2011 - 04:35 PM, said:

The question is who built it. The Celts worshiped in Oak groves - not stone circles. According to their mythology it was built by a race a giants long before the Celts were here. Science has confirmed that it does predate the Celts. Besides, the Celtic calendar like so many other native cultures is lunar not solar, which Stonehenge is definitely connected to the later (solar).
The culture who developed Stonehenge was definitely pre-Celtic and but the Celt worshiped the Sun as well as the Moon.  The town of Lugdunum, today Lyon in France was build in homage of the Celtic God Lug. With Belenus they were both solar Gods.

République No.6

#7    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,172 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

From the OP:

Virtually every square meter in a five square mile area surrounding the world most famous pre-historic monument will be examined geophysically to a depth of  up to two metres, he says.

I find that pretty impressive.

#8    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 29 November 2011 - 07:20 PM, said:

From the OP:

I find that pretty impressive.
UK's tax money at work

République No.6

#9    katesisco

katesisco

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

Gavin Mendez's new book on Atlantis deals with this far greater history of Stonehenge.  I was fascinated when I saw that dna showed that there was a central spot off the coast of Ireland (where the Rockall Rise is located now under water) and spread out in an eastward fan to Germany and Turkey.  Salt mines for salting food to make it last so trade can be RESUMED.

#10    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:06 PM

I always thought it was a landing platform for a flying saucer.

#11    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:27 AM

To add my opinion. I thought they discovered that it was a temple of the dead? Like, they discovered skeletal remains of people who were sacrificed, namely a hunter who was shot dead with a flint arror through the skull. Didn't they also discover that when sound is repeated and played in harmony inside the stones, you begin to enter a trance like state? This is from Mystery Quest. Seemed alot more logical and had some good evidence than Monster Quest, so I can only assume it'd be partially true.

So given this. People worshipped the sun and or stars. And as the ages progressed, they felt the need to sacrifice humans to the sun in tribute or something. Then when they don't get some sort of recognition from their "god", the sun, they get the stones (i know it's probably not like this, given the stones were from miles away) and make a halluconagenic circle to try and get visions or to be with their god?

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#12    AliveInDeath7

AliveInDeath7

Enlightened Seeker

• 2,712 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the good read.

#13    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

Here is another article to add more information to the OP:

Stonehenge Reveals New Clues of Ancient Worship
Stonehenge may have been a place for sun worship long before the  iconic  stones were erected more than 5,000 years ago, according to  archaeologists who are carrying out the biggest-ever virtual excavation.

Using noninvasive technologies such as  ground-penetrating radar and  geophysical imaging, a team from the University of Birmingham's IBM  Visual and Spatial Technology Centre, known as VISTA, and the Ludwig  Boltzmann Institute for Archaeological Prospection and Virtual  Archaeology in Vienna, discovered evidence of two huge pits positioned  on a celestial alignment at Stonehenge.

Measuring more than 16 feet across and at least 3 feet deep, the pits  lie within the Cursus, a large enclosure north of Stonehenge, which  predates the prehistoric monument by up to 500 years.

"This is the first time we have seen anything quite like this at  Stonehenge," said project leader Vince Gaffney, an archaeologist from  the University of Birmingham. ... (snip) ...
Source

#14    PHFATY

PHFATY

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:09 AM

Do you see them?  The hard reset is coming to a FOEC5 thei sai nai LED

WHO BUILT THE ANCIENT MEGALITHIC NAN MADOL RUINS IN THE WESTERN PACIFIC?

http://pohnpeinanmadol.blogspot.com

MICRONESIA

#15    Bagabones

Bagabones

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

• Bringing you and looking for The Paranormal

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

Stonehenge,one of many,we still practice the old ways today,now a days its called HALLOWEEN,we were pagans,people of the earth,natures cycles we understood,Stonehenge,place of the dead where we showed our respect to our ancestors,the other Stonehenge in same area,where they ended the ritual was the place of the living,renewal,crops birth celebration  of life,basically our new year started.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users