Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Just how powerful IS positive thinking?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,640 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:49 PM

www.cbsnews.com said:

(CBS News)

When people recover from illnesses against all odds ... should their claims that "positive thinking" made the difference constitute PROOF POSITIVE? Turns out, not even the "experts" entirely agree on that one.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:03 PM

Posted Image

#3    Mac E

Mac E

Mass Confuser

• 2,100 posts

• If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:04 PM

Well, let's see here.  If your thoughts influence your reality, then yes it should be possible for your positive thoughts to effect cancer. I'm reminded of the double slit experiment in quantum physics where the particles choose a certian path based on whether they were being observed.  There has been a lot of crazy stuff coming out of the current Quantum physics, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow they find out that thought and positive thinking do have an affect on your reality.

In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.

Martin Rees (1942) Astrophysicist

#4    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

Some scientists should read the Intention Experiment by Lynne Mc Taggart

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#5    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,754 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

Simple example: You feel negatively about something which results in anxiety, a heart attack and death.
Or...
You think positively in the same situation, calm your nerves and live to see another day.

It's easy to see a physiological link in these kinds of situations. I think it extends from here though.

#6    Arpee

Arpee

.::The Spirit Gives Life::.

• 1,366 posts

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." - 1 John 4:8

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

View PostParacelse, on 29 November 2011 - 02:53 PM, said:

Some scientists should read the Intention Experiment by Lynne Mc Taggart

I checked it out and she is authentic, and she's not boring like some of the other teachers.

Positive thinking is for real people.

Love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the ungrateful and to the evil. - Luke 6:35

#7    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:34 AM

Positive thinking ... appears they are really discussing the concept of self-efficacy whereby one establishes a personal belief system directed at one's ability to succeed in defined situations Those individuals with a high level of self-efficacy are better able to address difficult goal directed tasks. And, self-efficacy has a direct impact on one's resiliency ... the ability to deal with adversity.

#8    ovaz1088

ovaz1088

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 97 posts

• 'He who would not forgive must judge, for he must justify his failure to forgive.'

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:39 AM

It's people like psychologist Richard Sloan and  Dr. James Coyne that say they have a high IQ and degree, yet have no knowledge. lol. Science has already proven that our emotion and 'positive thinking' has a lot to do with our health over all.

#9    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

People with a positive attitude will naturally look for the best ways to deal with situations. Which means they will often succeed in whatever it is they are challenged with. Its as simple as that.

#10    ovaz1088

ovaz1088

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 97 posts

• 'He who would not forgive must judge, for he must justify his failure to forgive.'

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:50 AM

View PostDevice, on 30 November 2011 - 09:58 AM, said:

People with a positive attitude will naturally look for the best ways to deal with situations. Which means they will often succeed in whatever it is they are challenged with. Its as simple as that.
Yes, but apparently to a doctor and a psychologist, it's not that simple. lol.

Edited by ovaz1088, 01 December 2011 - 06:52 AM.

#11    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:17 AM

View Postovaz1088, on 01 December 2011 - 06:50 AM, said:

Yes, but apparently to a doctor and a psychologist, it's not that simple. lol.

Really they do agree but they just dont want to say because they think their proffessions might be compromised :)

#12    randym23

randym23

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

• the question IS the answer

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:48 PM

in my mind, this makes child abuse, harassment and bullying even bigger crimes because you're wounding a person's capacity to make their life better and even making them sicker
by wounding their world view. how can you think positively after that?
victims of child abuse actually have higher incidents of suicide!

and visit my site:
Posted Image

#13    John from Lowell

John from Lowell

Psychic Spy

• 1,767 posts

• Self Love Unlocks the Magic Inside

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:56 PM

It is not just the power of "positive thinking" that we need to become informed about but also the power of "negative thinking".

The power of belief is the most central influence for any person's life. Dr Lipton has researched those potentials and published some conclusions.
http://www.brucelipton.com/

Those who control our beliefs, also control our life.

John

What We Are Never Changes !!

Who We Are Is Always Changing !!!

#14    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,565 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

If all reality is arguably subjective, how could your perspective not play a significant role in your experience? We create what we believe IMO.

Those who control our beliefs, also control our life.

John

:tu:

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#15    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 3,212 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:22 AM

There's power in words & thoughts, that's how we create and shape our reality, every moment of every day. Positive thinking allows us to escape the victim mentality, which is a powerless state. I believe it also frees our creativity to approach problem solving in a pro-active way, to look for new paths, new ideas, new concepts that we can apply to our lives. When we're negative, we peer into the future and see things going in one direction, straight down the tubes. In a positive state, we can see the limitless possibilities that life has to offer us.

I think of it as diving deeply into a place where all possibilities exist, and when we come up, we hold in our hands the very thing we need, that treasure, the thing we have been needing & seeking. This is my faith, that the universe, the Goddess, God, cosmic consciousness, the divine energy, spirit, whatever you want to call it, loves me and wants me to be happy, and will, in fact, conspire with me to manifest my good intentions. My responsibililty is to be insure that what I think, what I believe, what I say, and what I do are all in integrity with one another in a positive way.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users