Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Norway killer 'not accountable for attacks'

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,764 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

www.telegraph.co.uk said:

Psychiatrists have found that Anders Behring Breivik was insane at the time of his attacks on downtown Oslo and Utoya Island.

The finding by the two forensic psychiatrists will help determine whether Breivik is sentenced to prison or psychiatric care. Prosecutor Svein Holden says the report shows Breivik was "psychotic" during the attack.

If that assessment is upheld by the court then Breivik cannot be sentenced to prison for the attacks.

"The conclusion is ... is that he is insane," Holden told a news conference. "He lives in his own delusional universe and his thoughts and acts are governed by this universe.

Posted Image Read more...
http://www.bbc.co.uk.../world-15936276

Edited by Still Waters, 29 November 2011 - 04:49 PM.
Additional source link added

Posted Image

#2    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

He spent years planning, his manifesto was pretty well written and he was clear in his goals... Maybe it just looks better if they declare him insane so people won't grasp onto what he's preaching. Better to lock him up with pudding cups then make him a living martyr.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#3    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 2,946 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:17 PM

Is anyone surprised?

#4    Cute_Gingrich

Cute_Gingrich

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 77 posts

• Adorable!

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

View PostFrom 29 November 2011 - 04:51 PM:

He spent years planning, his manifesto was pretty well written and he was clear in his goals... Maybe it just looks better if they declare him insane so people won't grasp onto what he's preaching. Better to lock him up with pudding cups then make him a living martyr.
Spending years planning how to kill tons of children doesn't necessarily mean you're sane, duder.

Edited by Garbage man, 29 November 2011 - 05:30 PM.

~~♥Washington fat cat♥~~   

#5    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 22,851 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

View Postodas, on 29 November 2011 - 05:17 PM, said:

Is anyone surprised?
Iím not.
Of course heís freaking insane, what else could he be but a complete psychopath with severe delusions on top of it.

The question is: now what? Does it mean heíll be out soon? I donít know how it works in Norway. I hope they are not too fast in releasing patients.

(I'm thinking about few horrible errors we had over here, for example, they released a guy who "show no signs he could be dangerous" and he killed his own five year old before he killed himself.)

Posted Image

Have I ever lost the plot while reading one of your posts?
The will to live maybe, but not the plot...  -  Junior Chubb

#6    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

• -Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes... After that, who cares. Your a mile away and you have his shoes. -

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 29 November 2011 - 05:59 PM, said:

Iím not.
Of course heís freaking insane, what else could he be but a complete psychopath with severe delusions on top of it.

The question is: now what? Does it mean heíll be out soon? I donít know how it works in Norway. I hope they are not too fast in releasing patients.

(I'm thinking about few horrible errors we had over here, for example, they released a guy who "show no signs he could be dangerous" and he killed his own five year old before he killed himself.)

I don't know how it works in Norway either, but i assume he'll be held in a mental hospital untill they feel he is no longer a threat to society or himself.
Given the nature of his crimes, the ages and number of those he killed, as well as the world wide publicity of it all, i doubt they will release him any time in the near future. Perhaps never.

~Today's mighty Oak is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground~

#7    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 2,946 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:42 PM

He will be out in less then ten years.
I was right when I predicted they will declare him insane and I will be right with the years spent in a mental institution.

#8    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 22,851 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:40 PM

Again, I donít know how it works in Norway, but over here a lot of people would be waiting for him to get out.

(Iím not advocating lynch mobs, I just state the facts.
By killing the killer you canít bring victims back, but you are making sure he wonít kill again, only that makes you a killer too so someone should kill you too to make sure etc.etc.)

My turn for prediction: this thread will turn into death penalty debate, regardless of the fact Noway doesn't have it.

Posted Image

#9    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,258 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:54 PM

Well, always the same story, a right winger causes a massacre and he is bananas, somebody else does the same and he is a monster....

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#10    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

• -Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes... After that, who cares. Your a mile away and you have his shoes. -

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

View Postodas, on 29 November 2011 - 07:42 PM, said:

He will be out in less then ten years.
I was right when I predicted they will declare him insane and I will be right with the years spent in a mental institution.

He killed 77 people if i'm not mistaken, i highly doubt he'll be out in ten years.

~Today's mighty Oak is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground~

#11    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,067 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

He won't get out - even f he is criminally insane, he has proven beyond a doubt his capacity to manage that insanity and function socially while plotting over a long period of time to commit atrocious acts.  There isn't a psychiatrist worth his salt that would believe he could confirm this man is ever "no longer a threat to society" .

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#12    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

View Post__Kratos__, on 29 November 2011 - 04:51 PM, said:

The Judge hasnt accepted the insanity plea yet but I suspect you are right.

It ends the trial and stops him telling everybody why he did it.

View PostlibstaK, on 29 November 2011 - 09:33 PM, said:

He won't get out - even f he is criminally insane, he has proven beyond a doubt his capacity to manage that insanity and function socially while plotting over a long period of time to commit atrocious acts.  There isn't a psychiatrist worth his salt that would believe he could confirm this man is ever "no longer a threat to society" .

The maximum sentence for murder in Norway is 20 years. The insanity may be the state making a move to keep him detained for life.

#13    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 2,946 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:25 AM

View PostOdds, on 29 November 2011 - 09:03 PM, said:

He killed 77 people if i'm not mistaken, i highly doubt he'll be out in ten years.
See post made by questionmark and you will not doubt anymore.
How this will be handled was clear as a clear irish spring.

#14    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 22,851 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

But he is insane.
I donít care what political or practical reasons are or are not behind making it official, he simply and obviously is insane.

Sane people donít become mass murderers, not even in situations that could make their actions look self-defensive to some.
And even if there is actual war or self-defence, no one sane is happy after killing someone. You have to be thoroughly insane to gloat after mass murder.

(Yes, that means I do think people from my part of the world who are guilty of genocide are insane too. Why is insanity a reason to treat criminals better is beyond me, being found insane should mean you're out the society forever. Preferably dead. Just had to clear that, no intention to derail the thread.)

Posted Image

#15    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

View Postodas, on 30 November 2011 - 01:25 AM, said:

See post made by questionmark and you will not doubt anymore.
How this will be handled was clear as a clear irish spring.

No, its Norway. Crazy as it seems the maximum sentence possible for anything there is 20 years believe it or not.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 30 November 2011 - 04:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users