Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Great Sphinx rain catchment system

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#16    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

View Postlilthor, on 01 December 2011 - 07:12 PM, said:

^^^You've provided a claim that AE not only drank water from the Nile, but that it contained nasty parasites that gave them all manner of health problems...yet because this water was soooo handy, they had no reason to seek a fresher source???

I would think any source of water that didn't contain guinea worms might have been revered as heaven-sent.
They sometimes consumed the worms, it's not like they drank and suddenly became immediately ill.

I've dranken river water often, probably at least as contaminated as the ancient nile, and not become ill.
(Not always voluntary, by the way, sometimes you can't help getting a gulp when your canoe flips over. )

Considering that they wouldn't have known what made them sick *, and it occurred only on occasion, they didn't draw the conclusion.

*(think of the cholera epidemic, where people continued drinking from the same water pump, and becoming sick, yet not coming to the conclusion that the water was contaminated)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#17    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,622 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

^^^You've provided a claim that AE not only drank water from the Nile, but that it contained nasty parasites that gave them all manner of health problems...yet because this water was soooo handy, they had no reason to seek a fresher source???

I would think any source of water that didn't contain guinea worms might have been revered as heaven-sent.

There is no evidence that the ancients even knew what guinea worms were... you cannot see the larva without a magnifying device. It probably fell under the chapter "Horus was pissed at me" when somebody got infected... like so many other things....

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#18    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,622 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

There is no evidence that the ancients even knew what guinea worms were... you cannot see the larva without a magnifying device. It probably fell under the chapter "Horus was pissed at me" when somebody got infected... like so many other things....

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#19    lilthor

lilthor

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 01 December 2011 - 07:45 PM, said:

They sometimes consumed the worms, it's not like they drank and suddenly became immediately ill.

I've dranken river water often, probably at least as contaminated as the ancient nile, and not become ill.
(Not always voluntary, by the way, sometimes you can't help getting a gulp when your canoe flips over. )

Considering that they wouldn't have known what made them sick *, and it occurred only on occasion, they didn't draw the conclusion.

*(think of the cholera epidemic, where people continued drinking from the same water pump, and becoming sick, yet not coming to the conclusion that the water was contaminated)

So we must dial down their IQ to fit the theory that they all drank from a sewer that drains an entire continent.

I don't buy it.  Man has understood the difference between fresh, pure water and river swill for tens upon tens of thousands of years.

I believe they also knew that sex (between male and female) often resulted in babies, even though THAT took nearly a year too.

#20    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,142 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

Thus the invention of beer.

There's no question they drank the water.  Every person won't get guinea worms every time.  

If, as you claim, I am saying that they drank Nile water knowing they'd get worms, then you are claiming they purposefully swallowed guinea worms.

I mean, after all, they did get the worms, right?

Obviously, neither of these is the case.

It's not like you can see these worms floating around in your water, you know.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#21    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,142 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

View Postlilthor, on 01 December 2011 - 08:01 PM, said:

I don't buy it.  Man has understood the difference between fresh, pure water and river swill for tens upon tens of thousands of years.

This is about the most brainless thing I've ever read at ATS, I mean U-M.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#22    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,622 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:07 PM

So we must dial down their IQ to fit the theory that they all drank from a sewer that drains an entire continent.

I believe they also knew that sex (between male and female) often resulted in babies, even though THAT took nearly a year too.

Meet your equal in intelligence:
Posted Image

about me

#23    lilthor

lilthor

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:38 PM

View PostHarte, on 01 December 2011 - 08:58 PM, said:

This is about the most brainless thing I've ever read at ATS, I mean U-M.

Harte
Good one Hatre, I mean Harte.

Seriously, you're starting to sound less like the old sage and more like the irrelevant curmudgeon sporting a fully-loaded adult diaper.

Perhaps you should change it so you can sit down and express yourself a bit more rationally.

Or not, it's up to you.

#24    somelier

somelier

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

View Postpatrickgiles, on 30 November 2011 - 12:50 PM, said:

Let's start a new topic because I think we're beating a dead horse. In my book, I describe how the Great Sphinx complex was also used to catch rainwater. It was at the base of the plateau at the level where rain flowed into it. Robert temple has found evidence of water gates and so have I. Let's try to refute it.

Absolute **EDIT**

**Profanity filters are there for a reason. Somelier**

Edited by aquatus1, 01 December 2011 - 10:53 PM.

#25    lilthor

lilthor

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 01 December 2011 - 09:07 PM, said:

Meet your equal in intelligence:
Posted Image

I don't know about that...it looks like she's peeing while she's drinking.

#26    cladking

cladking

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,945 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:40 PM

This is so obvious it's amazing you even are forced to point it out.  

1723b. when the great bread and this wine-like water were given to him.

22a. This is thy cool water, Osiris; this is thy cool water, O N., which went forth from thy son, which went forth from Horus.
22b. I have come; I have brought to thee the eye of Horus, that thy heart may be refreshed by it. I have brought it to thee. It is under thy soles.

868b. thy water, thy cool water-libation is the inundation of the Great One (who) which is come forth from thee.

How can anyone believe that the authors of this would rather drink mud
than water like wine.  

Why would anyone prefer to trek down to the crocodile infested toilet
and haul water up to where it's needed when good clean water can flow
right down to where they live.  

This is just astounding.

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

#27    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,484 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:54 PM

**I was going to go through and remove all the ad homs, but frankly, I haven't the patience.

You will discuss this like intelligent, civil, debaters, or you will not post.  Simple as that.

This is the only warning.  Next person who attacks the poster instead of the post goes on vacation.**

#28    The Gremlin

The Gremlin

Gnawing at the ankles of Falsehood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

• sniffing the finger of truth

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:32 PM

View Postlilthor, on 01 December 2011 - 09:38 PM, said:

Good one Hatre, I mean Harte.

Seriously, you're starting to sound less like the old sage and more like the irrelevant curmudgeon sporting a fully-loaded adult diaper.

Perhaps you should change it so you can sit down and express yourself a bit more rationally.

Or not, it's up to you.

HEY thats MY job! :angry:

PS if you look a little closer at the pic, you'll probably notice that it is a Guy not a Chick.......just saying....ya know.....observation skills and all...... :hmm:

I rarely talk about such things but I once shoveled 18 tons of material in 11 min-
utes. It was under ideal conditions which allowed use of the legs and gravity
but I know no one who could have matched it and I do know work
...Cladking
If you were a dragon wouldn't you rather eat fat, alocohol fill, Nordic giants, than stringy little Chinamen?   Draconic Chronicler.
You claim you do research and then disregard the fact the Pyramids were built by God, which is why no man-made computer can replicate it.  The Interpreter

#29    lilthor

lilthor

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:41 PM

View Postcladking, on 01 December 2011 - 10:40 PM, said:

This is so obvious it's amazing you even are forced to point it out.  

1723b. when the great bread and this wine-like water were given to him.

22a. This is thy cool water, Osiris; this is thy cool water, O N., which went forth from thy son, which went forth from Horus.
22b. I have come; I have brought to thee the eye of Horus, that thy heart may be refreshed by it. I have brought it to thee. It is under thy soles.

868b. thy water, thy cool water-libation is the inundation of the Great One (who) which is come forth from thee.

How can anyone believe that the authors of this would rather drink mud
than water like wine.  

Why would anyone prefer to trek down to the crocodile infested toilet
and haul water up to where it's needed when good clean water can flow
right down to where they live.  

This is just astounding.

Yes.  What makes the most sense is the higher up the socio-economic ladder one was, the further from the Nile one sourced their drinking water.  Wells likely served a great number of people, while water from the plateau would have been reserved for upper echelons and special occasions.

Those who drank straight river water were likely bottom-rungers who had to cope with diarrhea, guinea worms, and other maladies.

#30    The Gremlin

The Gremlin

Gnawing at the ankles of Falsehood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

• sniffing the finger of truth

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:46 PM

And the sphinx thing.....c'mon seriously?

Im all for free thinking, but really?

I thought the 'pyramids are rain catchment devices' idea was stupid, but I was hasty,I clearly had not gauged the limits of your (mr Giles) expertise correctly.

Your theories show a distinct lack of historical background and cultural knowledge of Egyptians past and present.

Is this a wind up?....I mean Ive posted spurious claims here for fun (just ask dr.Sheizhausmanburger)...And if it is may I commend you on your tenacity at playing your role to the hilt.

If you are really serious.....you really should be thinking about reading more.....seriously......really.

really? the sphinx too?........seriously?

I rarely talk about such things but I once shoveled 18 tons of material in 11 min-
utes. It was under ideal conditions which allowed use of the legs and gravity
but I know no one who could have matched it and I do know work
...Cladking
If you were a dragon wouldn't you rather eat fat, alocohol fill, Nordic giants, than stringy little Chinamen?   Draconic Chronicler.
You claim you do research and then disregard the fact the Pyramids were built by God, which is why no man-made computer can replicate it.  The Interpreter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users