Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

'60 Minutes' Documents on Bush Might Be Fake

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 02:23 AM

(CNSNews.com) - The 32-year-old documents produced Wednesday by the CBS News program "60 Minutes," shedding a negative light on President Bush's service in the Texas Air National Guard, may have been forged using a current word processing program, according to typography experts.

Three independent typography experts told CNSNews.com they were suspicious of the documents from 1972 and 1973 because they were typed using a proportional font, not common at that time, and they used a superscript font feature found in today's Microsoft Word program.

The "60 Minutes" segment included an interview with former Texas lieutenant governor Ben Barnes, who criticized Bush's service. The news program also produced a series of memos that claim Bush refused to follow an order to undertake a medical examination.

The documents came from the "personal office file" of Bush's former squadron commander Jerry B. Killian, according to Kelli Edwards, a spokeswoman for "60 Minutes," who was quoted in Thursday's Washington Post. Edwards declined to tell the Post how the news program obtained the documents.

But the experts interviewed by CNSNews.com homed in on several aspects of a May 4, 1972, memo, which was part of the "60 Minutes" segment and was posted on the CBS News website Thursday.

"It was highly out of the ordinary for an organization, even the Air Force, to have proportional-spaced fonts for someone to work with," said Allan Haley, director of words and letters at Agfa Monotype in Wilmington, Mass. "I'm suspect in that I did work for the U.S. Army as late as the late 1980s and early 1990s and the Army was still using [fixed-pitch typeface] Courier."

The typography experts couldn't pinpoint the exact font used in the documents. They also couldn't definitively conclude that the documents were either forged using a current computer program or were the work of a high-end typewriter or word processor in the early 1970s.

But the use of the superscript "th" in one document - "111th F.I.S" - gave each expert pause. They said that is an automatic feature found in current versions of Microsoft Word, and it's not something that was even possible more than 30 years ago.

Full Article

Edited by Kellalor, 10 September 2004 - 02:24 AM.

#2    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 10:09 PM

Sept. 10, 2004 — Questions are being raised about the authenticity of newly discovered documents relating to George W. Bush's service in the National Guard during the Vietnam War.

Marjorie Connell — widow of the late Lt. Col. Jerry Killian, the reported author of memos suggesting that Bush did not meet the standards for the Texas Air National Guard — questioned whether the documents were real.

"The wording in these documents is very suspect to me," she told ABC News Radio in an exclusive phone interview from her Texas home. She added that she "just can't believe these are his words."

First reported by CBS' 60 Minutes, the memos allegedly were found in Killian's personal files. But his family members say they doubt he ever made such documents, let alone kept them.

Connell said Killian did not type, and though he did take notes, they were usually on scraps of paper. "He was a person who did not take copious notes," she said. "He carried everything in his mind."

Killian's son, Gary Killian, who served in the Guard with his father, also told ABC News Radio that he doubts his father wrote the documents. "It was not the nature of my father to keep private files like this, nor would it have been in his own interest to do so," he said.

"We don't know where the documents come from," he said, adding, "They didn't come from any family member."

Connell said her late husband would be "turning over in his grave to know that a document such as this would be used against a fellow Guardsman," and she is "sick" and "angry" that his name is "being battled back and forth on television."

Her late husband was a fan of the young Bush, said Connell, who remarried after her husband died in 1984. "I know for a fact that this young man … was an excellent aviator, an excellent person to be in the Guard, and he was very happy to have him become a member of the 111th."

Experts Question Veracity

Questions are also being raised about the memos by document experts, who say they appear to have been written on a computer, not a typewriter.

Full Article

#3    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:06 AM

Look at this this MS Word document overlaid on the CBS News “original,” in an animated GIF alternating between the two:

user posted image

Hmmm...  rolleyes.gif

Link - No I don't agree with all of this guy's views, but it is a good site for news.

#4    doomgirl

doomgirl

Government Agent

• 3,323 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 07:17 AM

all you needs is some guys that aren't afraid to speak up and tell the truth about Bush

Spaceflight News - UM's Sister Site - Join Us

It ain't fittin'... it ain't fittin'. It jes' ain't fittin'... It ain't fittin'
Do I look like a freakin' people person?
All Things Wrestling Forum
Arts, Crafts N Gardens Forum

Computer Support Forum
Amby's Forum
Panda.org - WWF
Posted Image

#5    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,415 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 11 September 2004 - 07:44 AM

Good post Kellalor!  The Dems are obviously believing it was faked or they wouldn't be trying to purport a conspiracy theory about how the Republicans put it out there. laugh.gif

all you needs is some guys that aren't afraid to speak up and tell the truth about Bush

All we have are some guys that aren't afraid to lie boldly where no man has lied before about Bush whistling2.gif

Edited by joc, 11 September 2004 - 07:46 AM.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#6    sunshinenz

sunshinenz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 09:30 AM

Kellalor
I reserve my opinion on you ..................

#7    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 11 September 2004 - 10:16 AM

Dont you just love the lead up to elections, all the name calling, conspiracy theories, documents resurfacing, accusations, all sooooo much more, its just soooo much fun!!!!

What exactly is sunshinenz going on about?!

#8    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(AztecInca @ Sep 11 2004, 05:16 AM)
What exactly is sunshinenz going on about?!

View Post

Perhaps he has some sort of mental deficiency...  huh.gif

#9    doomgirl

doomgirl

Government Agent

• 3,323 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 01:58 PM

um and what is that suppose to mean Kellalor, I have a mental deficiency and so do a few other people in here

Computer Support Forum
Amby's Forum
Panda.org - WWF
Posted Image

#10    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,415 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:22 PM

um and what is that suppose to mean Kellalor, I have a mental deficiency and so do a few other people in here

Ahah!  That explains it! tongue.gif   Seriously though,  I know many of you girls, and guys on this forum are suffering from depression.  I have read it in your posts, I have seen it in your writings.   I too was once depressed....(as you well know Doomie)
and depression and other things mental are not to be made light of.   Having said that.........political correctness makes it darn hard to express your thoughts on anything without offending someone.  Kellalor has had problems too.  She has addressed some of them in other posts and I am sure she didn't mean anything hurtful.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#11    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(doomgirl @ Sep 11 2004, 08:58 AM)

View Post

I wasn't refering to any illnesses.  whistling2.gif

And I was joking, besides.

#12    doomgirl

doomgirl

Government Agent

• 3,323 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:30 PM

besides what?

I knew about you Joc laugh.gif

Computer Support Forum
Amby's Forum
Panda.org - WWF
Posted Image

#13    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE(doomgirl @ Sep 11 2004, 09:30 AM)
besides what?

View Post

Um, joking.

It probably should have been written as - Besides, I was joking.

Maybe not.

I just woke up, gimme a break.  tongue.gif

#14    doomgirl

doomgirl

Government Agent

• 3,323 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:43 PM

maybe you should go back to bed and try getting out of the other side laugh.gif

Computer Support Forum
Amby's Forum
Panda.org - WWF
Posted Image

#15    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:47 PM

Little Miss Sunshine has been dealt with, lets focus our attention on the topic please.

MM

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users