Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I need help

RedDusk

Okay my really really close friend is mentally unstable, but I am used to that. Starting about two weeks ago she has been acting strange at time always calling herself Min and Yin. She doesn't remember the times that she calls herself these names, but she says she hears their voices. From what she says Min is murderous and extremely self harming and Yin is a sexual deviant. I spoke to I am guessing Min ~she said thats what her name was~ and she said her and Yin are twin demons that want to toy with my friend and eventually destroy thier "toy" I need help I need explantation I need to protect her but I don't even know where to begin so I really really hope someone here can help me. Thank you so much in advance.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• _Only

• coldethyl

• Mike G

• nyuk

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like she might be suffering from schizophrenia, chances are that if she believes she can 'be someone else' then she will take no responsibility for her actions and she will eventually murder your other friend so warn your friend and get your friend to go to the doctors.

Also watch your own back.

Good luck.

Okay my really really close friend is mentally unstable, but I am used to that. Starting about two weeks ago she has been acting strange at time always calling herself Min and Yin. She doesn't remember the times that she calls herself these names, but she says she hears their voices. From what she says Min is murderous and extremely self harming and Yin is a sexual deviant. I spoke to I am guessing Min ~she said thats what her name was~ and she said her and Yin are twin demons that want to toy with my friend and eventually destroy thier "toy" I need help I need explantation I need to protect her but I don't even know where to begin so I really really hope someone here can help me. Thank you so much in advance.

This enigma is one of two things. One is that she needs to speak with her physician and two--a cry for attention. I see a lot of this in my field by young people.

Medical assistance... Tell people that care about your friend, it is possible for the murderous personality to kill the others. Then it us tough to get your friend back. I also second the cry for help. Sometimes young people say things line this to get attention to their problems.

Okay my really really close friend is mentally unstable

No point in typing anything past this. Call a doctor.

Edited by Moonie2012

Schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder are two different things. Many psychotic disorders come with hearing voices. MPD is disputed among the psychiatry field. I do think your friend does need to get psychiatric help soon. There should be no stigmas attached as she/he has done nothing wrong and it is no different than if she/he were diabetic and needed treatment. Please encourage your friend to seek medical attention ASAP.

I think you need to help your friend as best you can.

Talk to any family members/ friends who she trusts.

The closer the family member, or person your friend trusts, the better the chance of getting her to see a doctor willingly.

Hope you can persuade her to seek the help she needs.

Good luck

Not at all giving this as advice, but I think Freud would probably say that Min and Yin are manifestations of dark thoughts floating around her head that she wants to detach from. Not saying that she would be a murderer and sexual deviant. Just for whatever reason, she has those negative thoughts and shoved them down, seperating from them.

Just find that concept interesting. But I really wouldn't know.

Not at all giving this as advice, but I think Freud would probably say that Min and Yin are manifestations of dark thoughts floating around her head that she wants to detach from. Not saying that she would be a murderer and sexual deviant. Just for whatever reason, she has those negative thoughts and shoved them down, seperating from them.

Just find that concept interesting. But I really wouldn't know.

I prefer Jung. :P

She hasn’t been reading Vampire Diary’s has she? Sorry but it reminded me of the twin demon foxes Shinichi and Misao who control one character through a kind of mind control which he doesn’t remember after and their aim is to take all his memories and destroy him!

But seriously, I am not a total sceptic when it comes to demons and things like that, I’m kind of on the fence. But it definitely sound like your friend needs to seek some medical help. Does she have a family who will support her too? As much as you can try I am sure you will not be able to give her 24/7 support.

Is Jung the one who reckoned almost everything was to do with your parents and mainly your mother??

Or was that Freud :o

That was Freud, lol. Not many people like his work...

I would dump her as a friend and pursue healthy friendships with others. Whether she has demons in her or is mentally ill, either way there is absolutely nothing that you are qualified to do about it. She will just bring you down. Let her go. Somewhere out there is a quality peer group that will build your self-esteem and self-confidence. Do not hold yourself down and feel as though you need to play the protector role, especially when it is ultimately to your own detriment.

That is my best advice.

Btw, Freud's theories really have no substantial basis in fact and are just as unfalsifiable as little green men or demons. Just ask Joseph Breuer. Not sure why pop culture seems intent on clinging to those archaic and largely presumptuous ideas.

Edited by Mike G

Btw, Freud's theories really have no substantial basis in fact and are just as unfalsifiable as little green men or demons. Just ask Joseph Breuer. Not sure why pop culture seems intent on clinging to those archaic and largely presumptuous ideas.

Yes, pushing things deep down and detaching psychologically from things that traumatize you has never ever existed... that kook.

That was Freud, lol. Not many people like his work...

Right. Freud had the obsession that everything psychological could be brought back to sex. Jung didn't.

Yes, pushing things deep down and detaching psychologically from things that traumatize you has never ever existed... that kook.

You are referring to repressed memory. And it is in fact just a hypothetical notion.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repressed_memory

You might like this quote:

The existence of repressed memory recovery has not been accepted by mainstream psychology,[20][21][22][23] nor unequivocally proven to exist, and some experts in the field of human memory feel that no credible scientific support exists for the notions of repressed/recovered memories.[24][25]

Pop culture would have us believe otherwise, which is evident in your blind defense of these notions. But then, pop culture is largely moronic and wrong a lot of the time.

Edited by Mike G

You are referring to repressed memory. And it is in fact just a hypothetical notion.

It's a clinical term used by many, many, many psychologists. And explained simply and logically, with what parts of the brain are used, and why. Far from a hair-brained theory. Not totally comfortable telling you how I know, but I assure you it was not pop culture. Just because some psychologists discount an idea, news flash, some psychologists discount nearly every aspect of psychology. The field can rarely agree on anything. Try to do some real research into it past Wikipedia. You might find it educational.

But all that aside, think you're misunderstanding pushing down and detaching from negative thoughts, with psychologically completely forgetting them, which isn't the idea I was alluding to. Repression is a psychological attempt to combat your own thoughts and impulses, not just magically forgetting them, like some sort of amnesia.

edit - Sorry OP, derailing here. Hope you can figure out what's up with those "demons".

Edited by Jerry Only

It's a clinical term used by many, many, many psychologists. And explained simply and logically, with what parts of the brain are used, and why. Far from a hair-brained theory. Not totally comfortable telling you how I know, but I assure you it was not pop culture. Just because some psychologists discount an idea, news flash, some psychologists discount nearly every aspect of psychology. The field can rarely agree on anything. Try to do some real research into it past Wikipedia. You might find it educational.

Well, I did get my degrees in Behavioral Science. I'm not trying to have a p***ing contest with you here. I am just stating the truth. I gave links to back up what I contend, while you continue to rebuttal with what is apparently just your singular opinions along with a few generalizations. I really don't see the point in continuing at this point, that being the case.

Regarding Wiki, I utilized it in this case because it appears to be your reference of preference:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=218892&st=14

I never imagined that you would take a hypocritical route here and question its validity and depth as a viable source after citing the site yourself just this morning. Perhaps you simply repressed the memory of using Wikipedia...? Good thing you weren't asked to do some "real research" yourself in that other topic. ;)

Now please don't launch into a defensive, face-saving debate on when it is proper and when it is not proper to use Wikipedia because 1) it will be a largely moot point anyway, and 2) this topic has been derailed way off topic too much already.

Edited by Mike G

• 3 months later...

Split personality maybe? As an outlet for your friends murderous and sexual fantasies?

• 4 weeks later...

I would dump her as a friend and pursue healthy friendships with others. Whether she has demons in her or is mentally ill, either way there is absolutely nothing that you are qualified to do about it. She will just bring you down. Let her go. Somewhere out there is a quality peer group that will build your self-esteem and self-confidence. Do not hold yourself down and feel as though you need to play the protector role, especially when it is ultimately to your own detriment.

That is my best advice.

I would have to disagree with this statement since you clearly asked for ideas of how to help your friend, not whether or not should you get rid of your friend. It's always important to read everything thoroughly and offer what's being asked. It's always tempting to throw in our "two cents" of what we think is best choice for others, but it's best to respect everyone has their own mind to choose whom to keep and discard in their lives. I'm not trying to be rude, I just think it was kind of inappropriate, even if you meant it for the best of the situation.

That been said, I do agree that since the major concern is your friend's safety, that absolutely go medical route first. You made the comment already that it's known that she's been medically/mentally unstable, and in the end if it's proved that she is not having a problem with a mental disorder then go the next, more unexplained route. At least the idea of safety for herself and those around her has been addressed. I don't have any degrees to speak of, but my ex husband dealt with severe bi polar (manic depression disorder) as well as being diagnosed with psychotic/schizophrenia. It could be very terrifying when he stopped taking his meds at one point cause he wanted to be (normal) in his words. Because "normal" meant to him someone that didn't have to take these medications. I hope the best for you and your friends and hope you keep us informed :)

Hi RD,

It's a very difficult situation for sure.

It sounds to me as though this is serious enough that you can't ignore it. I would suggest that you err on the side of caution and speak to her family/others close to her about it immediately, then quite possibly that you and they seek professional medical help for her as soon as possible.

What is your 'gut' telling you?

Edited by Atlantia