Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

SETI to check Kepler-22b for aliens

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,600 posts

• space debris, decided to evolve and become us!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:08 AM

www.theregister.co.uk said:

The Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI) has announced that it is back in business checking out the new habitable exoplanets recently discovered by NASA's Kepler space telescope to see if they might be home to alien civilisations.The cash needed to restart SETI's efforts has come in part from the US Air Force Space Command, who are interested in using the organisation's detection instruments for "space situational awareness".

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

a paid-up member of the “tin foil hat brigade”

• 24,422 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

Ah, U.S. Starfleet Command- I mean Space Command is now funding SETI, is it. Well, I'm sure that'll reassure the Aliens that we have a purely peaceful interest in establishing contact with our extraterrestrial friends.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#3    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

Come on SETI, COME ON!!  :lol:

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#4    George Ford

George Ford

smile

• 2,819 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:02 PM

What if we find aliens but they are no more advanced then sheep? Should we still spend trillions of $'s to send probes to capture some?

“Extraordinary claims require extraoardinary evidence”

~
Carl Sagan

#5    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,117 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

View Postbulveye, on 07 December 2011 - 09:02 PM, said:

What if we find aliens but they are no more advanced then sheep? Should we still spend trillions of $'s to send probes to capture some?
Well, somebody keeps messing with our cows...seems fair enough to me! ;)

*that was a joke*

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#6    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,060 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:55 AM

View PostLilly, on 07 December 2011 - 09:11 PM, said:

Well, somebody keeps messing with our cows...seems fair enough to me! ;)

*that was a joke*

:rofl: :lol:

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#7    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,060 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:57 AM

We now have a space command concerned with "space situational awareness" ?

Awesome! Seems a step up. I wonder how one gets a job there?

I do like The Register.

Edited by psyche101, 08 December 2011 - 01:59 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#8    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,397 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:55 AM

We could Eat-em ? :wacko:

This is a Work in Progress!

#9    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,165 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:22 AM

View Postbulveye, on 07 December 2011 - 09:02 PM, said:

Beats spending trillions on wars, failed private business and greedy corrupt politicians.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#10    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,226 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:37 AM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 08 December 2011 - 03:22 AM, said:

Beats spending trillions on wars, failed private business and greedy corrupt politicians.

Isn't it also about time that we go and mutilate some alien cows? As long as we are absolutely sure that they aren't the dominant species, incredibly intelligent and sitting on a huge war chest full of advanced weapons of rather destructive character - that would be a bummer :P  

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#11    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,165 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:44 AM

View Postbadeskov, on 08 December 2011 - 03:37 AM, said:

Isn't it also about time that we go and mutilate some alien cows? As long as we are absolutely sure that they aren't the dominant species, incredibly intelligent and sitting on a huge war chest full of advanced weapons of rather destructive character - that would be a bummer :P  

Cheers,
Badeskov

Sounds pretty risky, what if they have alien mad cow desease and money. I`m sure some could buy there out of anything and they start to mingel with the likes of Rosie Odoniel (sp) and Donald trump. That would be the end of mankind forsure  :alien:

Edited by The Silver Thong, 08 December 2011 - 03:45 AM.

#12    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,226 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:48 AM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 08 December 2011 - 03:44 AM, said:

Sounds pretty risky, what if they have alien mad cow desease and money. I`m sure some could buy there out of anything and they start to mingel with the likes of Rosie Odoniel (sp) and Donald trump. That would be the end of mankind forsure  :alien:

OK, that was a rather horrible scenario you just managed to depict there. :P

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#13    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,117 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:59 AM

Just so they don't 'mingle' the genetics of Rosie O'Donell and Donald Trump. There's a hybrid lifeform capable of destroying the Earth for sure!

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#14    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,165 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:00 AM

View Postbadeskov, on 08 December 2011 - 03:48 AM, said:

OK, that was a rather horrible scenario you just managed to depict there. :P

Cheers,
Badeskov

Best weapon we have to deter these beings is to broadcast.

#15    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,226 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:04 AM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 08 December 2011 - 04:00 AM, said:

Best weapon we have to deter these beings is to broadcast.

Hahaha..good point. I guess we need to start cranking the transmit power up and really start pouring some energy into space :P

Cheers,
Badeskov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users