Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

SETI to check Kepler-22b for aliens

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,685 posts

• space debris, decided to evolve and become us!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:30 AM

View Postbison, on 08 December 2011 - 06:25 PM, said:

The protocols, which Dr. Kaku never got around to explaining, do *not* say that news of the discovery of intelligent extraterrestrial radio signals should be concealed. They *do* say that, in common with other scientific discoveries, it should be thoroughly and repeatedly confirmed by independent observers, and then released to the general public.

where *did* you get all that from?

#32    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

A bit dull

• 26,777 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:51 AM

View Postmcrom901, on 09 December 2011 - 07:30 AM, said:

sounds a proper scientific approach, though, don't you think?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#33    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,685 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

View Post747400, on 09 December 2011 - 07:51 AM, said:

sounds a proper scientific approach, though, don't you think?

could be, but i was rather considering the sociopolitical aspects...

http://en.wikipedia....etection_policy

:unsure2:

#34    ynotnoty

ynotnoty

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

View Postbison, on 08 December 2011 - 11:03 PM, said:

Based on the apparent age of the star, they're saying that it is probably somewhat older than Earth. Plenty of time for life, even intelligent life to have evolved, assuming it got started there. The fact that they're calling it 'habitable' does not mean that it would be ideal for human beings. Our world probably wouldn't seem very suitable to beings from a planet with half our surface gravity, either.

ok how old is the star?

#35    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:03 PM

View Postynotnoty, on 09 December 2011 - 01:34 PM, said:

ok how old is the star?
A specific figure for the age of the star is not available.  It's mass is ~97 % that of the Sun, while it's diameter is ~98 % . Main sequence stars are known to slowly increase their diameters over billions of years. This small excess in size, in proportion to mass, was presumably interpreted to suggest that Kepler 22 is further along in this process than the Sun, hence older.

#36    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,640 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

View Postmcrom901, on 09 December 2011 - 07:30 AM, said:

From a good deal of reading on the subject. Here is a video of Dr. Jill Tarter of the SETI Institute explaining how the protocols would work in practice. She manages to do this in just  three minutes.        

Edited by bison, 09 December 2011 - 06:46 PM.

#37    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,685 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

View Postbison, on 09 December 2011 - 06:28 PM, said:

Here is a video of Dr. Jill Tarter of the SETI Institute explaining how the protocols would work in practice.

she clearly mentions that there was a post detection protocol when they were being funded by 'nasa'... but, do you have any evidence that there are no such funding anymore? or that when the pdp was actually dropped?

Edited by mcrom901, 09 December 2011 - 11:18 PM.

#38    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,640 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:31 AM

View Postmcrom901, on 09 December 2011 - 11:12 PM, said:

she clearly mentions that there was a post detection protocol when they were being funded by 'nasa'... but, do you have any evidence that there are no such funding anymore? or that when the pdp was actually dropped?
I assume that Dr. Tarter was giving an accurate account, when she stated that the NASA-era protocols were no longer in force. I think it likely that the NASA funding was actually cut in 1992. I remember when this happened, and how the SETI Institute had to scramble to find private donors, including myself. One of their early, privately funded  projects was called 'Phoenix'- - as in the bird that rises from the ashes of it's own destruction. They still have a protocol, of sorts. All scientists do. As Dr. Tarter stated in the video, its all about getting other, independent observers to confirm the existence, and extraterrestrial nature, of a candidate SETI signal, then publish in the scientific press, then tell everyone.

#39    G3N0M3

G3N0M3

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

• Reality is a concept of man - Therefore reality is what man makes of it.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:47 AM

Hey, I'm not too informed about everything SETI does, but could someone tell me if they have not at least looked at where each of the oldest cultures on Earth believed their people came from, or where their gods came from...

Over 60% of the religions believe that their gods or people came from the Orion Sector... I mean that alone should dedicate an entire fleet of satalites pointing there... If you even want to get technical you could try and calculate their perception of the stars when the Earth was on a different axis...

Need answers to many questions? Give me a shout I can help you out!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users