Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Some People Can Hallucinate Colours at Will

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,081 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:57 PM

www.sciencedaily.com said:

Scientists at the University of Hull have found that some people have the ability to hallucinate colours at will -- even without the help of hypnosis.

The study, published this week in the journal Consciousness and Cognition, was carried out in the Department of Psychology at the University of Hull. It focused on a group of people that had shown themselves to be 'highly suggestible' in hypnosis.

The subjects were asked to look at a series of monochrome patterns and to see colour in them. They were tested under hypnosis and without hypnosis and both times reported that they were able to see colours.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

The term 'hallucinate' is used wrongly because colour is just perception anyway.

#3    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,055 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 09 December 2011 - 03:08 PM, said:

The term 'hallucinate' is used wrongly because colour is just perception anyway.
According to the definition of hallucinate its correct.

#4    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:27 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 09 December 2011 - 03:52 PM, said:

According to the definition of hallucinate its correct.

Seeing as colour is only perception all experience of colour is hallucination.

They havent suddenly discovered people that 'can hallucinate colours at will' we all do it every moment of our lives because colour isnt real.

#5    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,055 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:23 AM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 10 December 2011 - 02:27 PM, said:

They havent suddenly discovered people that 'can hallucinate colours at will' we all do it every moment of our lives because colour isnt real.
Hallucination is sensory impressions in the absense of external stimuli. Normally seeing color is the result of special cells in the eye reacting to light wave length.

You're comparing two very different things.

#6    ether2

ether2

Apparition

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts

• pitbull attitude required never give up...

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

because colour isnt real.

do you think other things are not real, for example being material things such wood/bricks/TV's/computers etc etc...

good luck

love

#7    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

View Postether2, on 12 December 2011 - 12:01 PM, said:

do you think other things are not real, for example being material things such wood/bricks/TV's/computers etc etc...

good luck

love

View PostRlyeh, on 12 December 2011 - 12:23 AM, said:

Hallucination is sensory impressions in the absense of external stimuli. Normally seeing color is the result of special cells in the eye reacting to light wave length.

You're comparing two very different things.

Both of you, the eye is connected to the brain via an optic nerve.

Optic nerves conduct electrical signals which they pass from your eye to the brain. Optic nerves do not conduct the none existant property called colour.

Photons come in different wave lengths not different colours. The cone cells on your retina are triggered by photons with certain wavelengths and when triggered they produce the electical signals the optic nerve sends to the brain.

Your brain gathers up the electrical signals and creates what you call vision. Colour is part of that and is nothing more than mental perception. All colour is halluncination.

#8    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

View Postether2, on 12 December 2011 - 12:01 PM, said:

good luck

love

Lets use the brick.

If you chip off the corner of a brick is it still a brick?
If you chip off 1/4 of the brick is it still a brick?
If we keep removing parts of it at what stage does it cease to be a brick?

See, you cant even define to me the bare minimum needed for a brick to be considered a brick. If you're a reductionist then even you would realise the atoms that make up the object are whats real not the object itself. Thats just an idea as to what a collection of atoms arranged in a certain way are.

As for objects then most of what you call a brick, a tv, a computer etc is empty space because atoms are mostly nothingness. Your brain distorts that with mental perception so you think theres a complete and solid object existing in front of you.

As for a solipsist opinion as to what objects are then thats a different debate altogether.

#9    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,055 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 12 December 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

Both of you, the eye is connected to the brain via an optic nerve.
No ****.

Optic nerves conduct electrical signals which they pass from your eye to the brain. Optic nerves do not conduct the none existant property called colour.
Actually they conduct signals from the cells that register color.
http://au.pantone.co...?pg=19357&ca=29

Your brain gathers up the electrical signals and creates what you call vision. Colour is part of that and is nothing more than mental perception. All colour is halluncination.
You're wrong, I already pointed out color is from an external stimuli.

All you did was repeat what I already said, while disregarding the fact halluncination is the absence of external stimuli.If you want to claim color is a halluncination, show me there is no external stimuli.

Edited by Rlyeh, 12 December 2011 - 05:07 PM.

#10    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 12 December 2011 - 05:02 PM, said:

No ****.

Actually they conduct signals from the cells that register color.
http://au.pantone.co...?pg=19357&ca=29

You're wrong, I already pointed out color is from an external stimuli.

All you did was repeat what I already said, while disregarding the fact halluncination is the absence of external stimuli.If you want to claim color is a halluncination, show me there is no external stimuli.

Colour is not an external stimuli.

However photons are if their wavelengths fall within the range needed to be detected by the cones in your eye.

Your brain analyses the electrical signals from the cones and creates what you see which includes colour. What you see out of your eyes is nothing more than perception, it isnt whats really out there.

Colour is not a property of photons wavelengths are.

#11    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,055 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 12 December 2011 - 05:50 PM, said:

Colour is not an external stimuli.

However photons are if their wavelengths fall within the range needed to be detected by the cones in your eye.

Your brain analyses the electrical signals from the cones and creates what you see which includes colour. What you see out of your eyes is nothing more than perception, it isnt whats really out there.

Colour is not a property of photons wavelengths are.
If read what I wrote I never said color is an external stimuli, color is formed from external stimuli.
Likewise so is touch, taste and hearing.

Besides knocking down straw men, can you support your claim that color is hallucination (absence of external stimuli)?That is there is no light (external stimuli) entering the eye, stimulating the cone cells, optic nerve transmitting the signals, etc.

Edited by Rlyeh, 12 December 2011 - 06:22 PM.

#12    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,936 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

huh?
shade or hue of color may be perception but color is not hallucination. the cones in your retina are responsible for seeing color, not your imagination.

#13    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 12 December 2011 - 06:15 PM, said:

If read what I wrote I never said color is an external stimuli, color is formed from external stimuli.
Likewise so is touch, taste and hearing.

Besides knocking down straw men, can you support your claim that color is hallucination (absence of external stimuli)?That is there is no light (external stimuli) entering the eye, stimulating the cone cells, optic nerve transmitting the signals, etc.

Thats better.

Sure, do you dream in colour?

#14    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,055 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 12 December 2011 - 06:23 PM, said:

Thats better.

Sure, do you dream in colour?
Ofcourse I do.I'm not sure how this shows color is hallucinatory.
I'm aware dreams are defined by some as hallucinations.

Edited by Rlyeh, 12 December 2011 - 06:34 PM.

#15    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 12 December 2011 - 06:31 PM, said:

Ofcourse I do.I'm not sure how this shows color is hallucinatory.
I'm aware dreams are defined by some as hallucinations.

When your eyes are closed at night no there is no visual sensorary input.

Yet you dream in vision and colour because the mechanisms which create vision and colour are in your head not outside it.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 12 December 2011 - 07:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users