Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Strange businesses or stores in your area

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#16    TheBanana

TheBanana

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

• please dont eat me!

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

the only creepy shop in our area is just a normal shop, maybe a bit dark, but its just the guy who owns it is creepy.

i went in there with a friend, who has been in there a few times and says that the owner has always been a bit creepy to her and asked for her phone number. the time i went in with her, and when we had bought what we wanted, he invited us into this back room that looked kinda dirty-with an old sofa, table and chair, kitchen stuff and a small old fashioned looking tv. the tv was on and was showing something about politics in a different language, and the picture was very fuzzy. he made us coffee, but we didnt drink it cause he was seriously creeping us out. we got out of there as fast as possible.

*~Kay, Banana Queen and admin of TheMostHauntedForum.com~*

#17    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,422 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

I've run across a couple odd shops.. Probably due to my propensity for resale and junk shops.

In the town I grew up in, there was a section of avenue that held most of the junk shops in town. Small storefronts that you could lose hours in digging around, going from store to store. Some might be junk, or church resale, or old appliance, or whatever. Some stuck around for many years, some came and went, but oddly always a new junk shop took over the space the old one abandoned.
One of the cooler ones was actually an old theater. There were apartments up above, and I knew people that lived there. The floors were the old thick marbleized chunks of stone and walls so thick you couldn't hear the split personality guy next door ranting to himself. The people that lived there had storage a level under the main theater floor, but snuck down to the sub-levels- they claimed they found a fully assembled one man plane down there, and locked safes too heavy for two full grown men to shift, let alone open. At one time, that theater was a junk shop too- but they only used the lobby for their sales. Another year, a haunted house set up shop there, and used the theater floor for their show. All the seats had been removed, and it was a standing cavern of spooky.
One of the shops across the street that was open for a little bit occupied an old dentists office. The gal was partly goth resale clothes, part creepy homemade magic (sorta) stuff, and wholly odd. You would find a shelf of animal skulls and lolita glitter hair trinkets right next to a rack of animal skins and vintage evening gowns. And a shelf under the skulls and hair goodies would be jars of noxious ointments and oils alongside old dentist and doctors tools.  

Where I live now there's a flea market shop that runs out of an old storefront service station. When you walk by, you can look in the garage door windows and see what all they have inside.

#18    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

I love going to old stores like those. You never know what you will find.

#19    Blues Girl

Blues Girl

Psychic Spy

• 1,218 posts

• Ribbons is a stupid name for a horse

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

MetallicBlood, on 13 December 2011 - 11:04 PM, said:

There is this strange little building down the street and right past the hospital in my town that apparently operates as a "Physic and Palm Reading" kinda place, in which walk-ins are welcome and it only opens at night too.

I've been tempted to go in and see what happens, but I'm sure they would charge me a fortune for it, so I don't see myself doing that anytime soon, if ever.
They would charge you a fortune to read your fortune, eh? LOL
(sorry, couldn't resist!)

I shall one day rule this world using only my wits, charm, and a bent paperclip!
A balanced life is a rat on each shoulder >'.'<

#20    Doctor_Strangelove

Doctor_Strangelove

Nazi Scientist

• 2,616 posts

• Mein Führer! I can walk!

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:02 AM

Please-Forgive-Me, on 12 December 2011 - 01:51 AM, said:

Between the Annapolis valley and  Halifax, her in my home province of Nova Scotia, there is what we call the "old highway" or "the old post road." It was the route used to travel to the city before the Government built the main highway near by in 70's. There is almost no traffic at all on this road now except for a very few local residents. Along this road is a very small convenience store with a couple gas pumps out in the front, like the old days before modern gas stations. There is no way there is enough traffic to justify keeping this place open, but the weird part is what you find when you go in. It is very old fashioned looking inside, like an old general store, all wood counters and floor and stuff. In the counter display cases are a hole bunch of drug paraphernalia, such as hash pipes and such. But on some shelves are some hand made dolls, about the size of cabbage patch dolls, but very different looking. The had very pointy shaped faces and wild looking expressions, it is hard to describe them because I have never seen anything like this before to compare them to. They had sharp pointy hats and no two were the same, and they all looked like they were watching you or looking at you. Silly sounding I know. Anyway, the woman who works there is always on the back room when you come in and has to come out to serve you. She is very super overly happy and "hippy like." Also the store has an overpowering smell. Anyway, there is no way this store can run on selling one bad of chips every two days, and what on earth are all those strange dolls for?
Oh god, I think I know exactly the road that you're talking about. That whole route gives me the creeps. Next time I'm headed that road, I am tempted to give it a look. It's not just that route either, there's something odd about the Valley that I just can't put my finger on. My friend lives just outside Bridgetown and claims the mountain road is haunted. As skeptical as I am, if anywhere were to be haunted, it would be these backwater areas of Nova Scotia.

Also, it's refreshing to see another Maritimer in here.

"Isn't it weird when users quote themselves in their own signatures?"-Doctor_Strangelove

#21    AbbyNormal

AbbyNormal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

• There ain't no rest for the wicked.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

There's a pretty suspicious looking "Chinese Food+Video" store around where I live. ;P

#22    Mad Cow

Mad Cow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

• “Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.”

---Calvin & Hobbes

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

I have lived in New Jersey my whole life so far, and I was driving one day and I found this old abandoned building and the curious fellow that I am, I peeked inside and saw people wearing animal masks. Kinda freaky.

A bear is just a man who made a choice.

#23    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

Please-Forgive-Me, on 12 December 2011 - 01:51 AM, said:

Between the Annapolis valley and  Halifax, her in my home province of Nova Scotia, there is what we call the "old highway" or "the old post road." It was the route used to travel to the city before the Government built the main highway near by in 70's. There is almost no traffic at all on this road now except for a very few local residents. Along this road is a very small convenience store with a couple gas pumps out in the front, like the old days before modern gas stations. There is no way there is enough traffic to justify keeping this place open, but the weird part is what you find when you go in. It is very old fashioned looking inside, like an old general store, all wood counters and floor and stuff. In the counter display cases are a hole bunch of drug paraphernalia, such as hash pipes and such. But on some shelves are some hand made dolls, about the size of cabbage patch dolls, but very different looking. The had very pointy shaped faces and wild looking expressions, it is hard to describe them because I have never seen anything like this before to compare them to. They had sharp pointy hats and no two were the same, and they all looked like they were watching you or looking at you. Silly sounding I know. Anyway, the woman who works there is always on the back room when you come in and has to come out to serve you. She is very super overly happy and "hippy like." Also the store has an overpowering smell. Anyway, there is no way this store can run on selling one bad of chips every two days, and what on earth are all those strange dolls for?
Can we say House Of 1000 Corpses....

Miss me?

#24    TheNightOwl

TheNightOwl

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:23 AM

Along the highway in my area, there's a pretty suspicious looking building (you never see anyone go in or out, shades always drawn, etc.) that supposedly is home to a company that makes dryers. I don't know, though.

Also, there's a store that supposedly sells baseball cards and sports memorabilia, although I never see it actually open, and whenever I look inside there's always only a few items, some random stacked boxes, and an empty counter inside. I've never met anyone who's actually been in the store. But the weirdest thing is that it's got this red neon sign hanging up inside that they always keep turned on, even when it's closed and the lights are off. So if you go there at night and all the lights are off, this neon sign gives the whole place a really eerie glow. It doesn't sound too bad, but if you saw it it would creep the hell out of you.

#25    Farmer77

Farmer77

Psychic Spy

• 1,610 posts

• "Science has done its utmost to prevent whatever science has done" - Charles Fort

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

Not that I have experience with such things but I wonder how many of these stores without customers are actually fronts for illegal activities.

I don't suffer from insanity, I rather enjoy it

#26    TheNightOwl

TheNightOwl

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

bigtroutak, on 26 March 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

Not that I have experience with such things but I wonder how many of these stores without customers are actually fronts for illegal activities.

Probably many of them. A couple of nail salons in my area were closed down because they turned out to be fronts for prostitution. I also know of a few restaurants that are almost always closed that are pretty much used for money laundering.

#27    shadowlark

shadowlark

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

This place is about 2 minutes from my parents. Yes, I've been inside. And yes, it's weird.

Posted Image

#28    HollyDolly

HollyDolly

Psychic Spy

• 1,334 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Several years ago I visited my sister in New York.We drove to Brewster,Mass on Cape Cod so I could meet her in-laws who are very nice. Ross and Jessica took me to Provincetown,.We went on a boat to watch whales.There is a store there named"Spank the Monkey."
Also, in Suffern,NY, is a store called "Suffern Succotash",don't know what they sell.
Out by me, on Abbot Road near San Antonio, is an old store  that is in business.How it manages to stay in business, I don't know. Guess it's the local beer joint.Never been in it, so not sure all they sell besides beer. I have seen cars and trucks there in the evening the few times I have driven that way.Another thing, across the road you can see some poles and what appear to have once been some streets,about three or four in number. If there were any houses there, they have long disappeared.The store might be the only thing left of what was once a little community.Don't know how it stays in business.

#29    RockabyeBillie

RockabyeBillie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

• And a million baneful words couldn't bring me to my knees.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

There was an old store near where I lived in Louisiana that sold "Knives and Adult VHS". Never went in...

Posted Image

Whether you think you can or whether you think you cant, you're right! -Henry Ford

#30    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Fat and complacent

• 25,887 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

HollyDolly, on 02 April 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

Also, in Suffern,NY, is a store called "Suffern Succotash",don't know what they sell.
They're probably just fans of Warner Bros cartoons, it's probably nothing to worry about, too much.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users