Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * - 2 votes

Strange businesses or stores in your area


  • Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#31    Mantis914

Mantis914

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lone Star State

  • You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

One time when I was on my way to Dallas, TX from the western part of the state.  I stopped at the remains of a little town called Thurber off the main highway.  The only thing there was an old furnace tower that used to be used for making bricks (the town died after a short successful boom) and an old restaurant.  I stopped at the restaurant because I wanted to get something to eat even though there was one car parked in front and the restaurant looked a bit abandoned.  Upon entering, I could hear people talking at a distance and surprisingly the restaurant looked well kept inside for it looking abandoned outside.  I said, "Hello?" one time and then the voices stopped.  I looked around and waited for a short time but no one came out until I realized just how messed up this situation could be for me then I left in a hurry.  Being in an abandoned restaurant in the middle of a ghost town, feeling someone watching me and hearing voices that suddenly stop was enough for me as a matter of fact, I don't think I ate until I got to Dallas...


#32    MetallicBlood

MetallicBlood

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Joined:02 Jul 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa, Florida

  • You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:24 AM

View PostMantis914, on 05 April 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

One time when I was on my way to Dallas, TX from the western part of the state.  I stopped at the remains of a little town called Thurber off the main highway.  The only thing there was an old furnace tower that used to be used for making bricks (the town died after a short successful boom) and an old restaurant.  I stopped at the restaurant because I wanted to get something to eat even though there was one car parked in front and the restaurant looked a bit abandoned.  Upon entering, I could hear people talking at a distance and surprisingly the restaurant looked well kept inside for it looking abandoned outside.  I said, "Hello?" one time and then the voices stopped.  I looked around and waited for a short time but no one came out until I realized just how messed up this situation could be for me then I left in a hurry.  Being in an abandoned restaurant in the middle of a ghost town, feeling someone watching me and hearing voices that suddenly stop was enough for me as a matter of fact, I don't think I ate until I got to Dallas...

Yikes, sounds like you accidentally walked in on some drug dealers secret location or something...I mean an "abandoned" restaurant in the middle of nowhere would be the perfect spot to exchange business.

Glad you got out in time...that could have turned real nasty...but of course you already knew that.

She stands out in a crowd, she thinks out loud to save her breath, with a portrait of her parents death.

#33    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • Joined:03 Aug 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado

  • 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

In Broomfield, Colorado, there is a Video rental store in an old very small strip mall building located at the rear that is only open from 11pm to 2am. The guy who owns it, lives in his store, he NEVER has customers and yet has been in business for 10+ years now. He's a VERY strange gentleman, who drives around in a 1989 Lincoln Stretch Limo, he's always wearing a Tuxedo and Everyone in town doesn't understand how he stays in business. I know the owner of some of the other stores in that building, there's a Subway, Small Barber Shop and a Tile store. They ALL are creeped out by him and say he has strange women coming in and out at all hours of the day.

Curiosity got the best of me one night coming off duty and I decided to see what he's about. Also, wanted to see what selection of video's he has. I walked in, in my uniform, and the man about crapped his pants. He started studdering, acting very strange. To the point where I asked him to step out from behind the counter (in a non-descript manor but, for my own safety to make sure he wasn't going to pull out a weapon.)

The guy didn't even have DVD's! It was all VHS and old Sega, Nintendo 64, and Windows 98 video games! I thought maybe it was some porn type video store. Nope. No adult section at all. I honestly got the vibe from an old horror movie lol. I could see him luring unsuspecting victims into his shop, where he would lock the door behind them, and cut them to pieces for stew lol. Or he would abduct people for human trafficking lol.

Anyway, I ended up contacting some of my friends in the local PD to see if they'd had any reports of him or his property. They didn't. I don't know but, something is really strange with this guy. Moral of the story: If you're ever in Broomfield Colorado, don't go to the Video store located on hwy 287 and 6th ave behind the Subway lol You may never come out alive!  ;)


#34    HollyDolly

HollyDolly

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Joined:02 Aug 2006

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostHollyDolly, on 02 April 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

Several years ago I visited my sister in New York.We drove to Brewster,Mass on Cape Cod so I could meet her in-laws who are very nice. Ross and Jessica took me to Provincetown,.We went on a boat to watch whales.There is a store there named"Spank the Monkey."
Also, in Suffern,NY, is a store called "Suffern Succotash",don't know what they sell.
Out by me, on Abbot Road near San Antonio, is an old store  that is in business.How it manages to stay in business, I don't know. Guess it's the local beer joint.Never been in it, so not sure all they sell besides beer. I have seen cars and trucks there in the evening the few times I have driven that way.Another thing, across the road you can see some poles and what appear to have once been some streets,about three or four in number. If there were any houses there, they have long disappeared.The store might be the only thing left of what was once a little community.Don't know how it stays in business.

Well, I went past that store out on Abbot Road near St.Hedwig I mentioned,last Saturday during the day time.The place has a sign on it Cousins Corner.I don't think it is in business any more, unless it's only at night. You can write into the San Antonio Express News about odd facts or places,and they have put people's suggestions in the paper.I need to take a photo of the place,and submit it to the paper and see what turns up.
Out there on Farm to Market Road 1346, is a housing area called East View Terrace.There are quite a few occupied homes, but there aren't any stores near by,and is kind of off by itself. Why anyone would build a developement where that's located, have no idea.
Along Interstate 10 out that way , are a couple of old motels,but i don't know if they are in business.They are rather creepy.


#35    TheNightOwl

TheNightOwl

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined:10 Jul 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

View PostColoradoParanormal, on 11 April 2012 - 03:43 AM, said:

In Broomfield, Colorado, there is a Video rental store in an old very small strip mall building located at the rear that is only open from 11pm to 2am. The guy who owns it, lives in his store, he NEVER has customers and yet has been in business for 10+ years now. He's a VERY strange gentleman, who drives around in a 1989 Lincoln Stretch Limo, he's always wearing a Tuxedo and Everyone in town doesn't understand how he stays in business. I know the owner of some of the other stores in that building, there's a Subway, Small Barber Shop and a Tile store. They ALL are creeped out by him and say he has strange women coming in and out at all hours of the day.

Curiosity got the best of me one night coming off duty and I decided to see what he's about. Also, wanted to see what selection of video's he has. I walked in, in my uniform, and the man about crapped his pants. He started studdering, acting very strange. To the point where I asked him to step out from behind the counter (in a non-descript manor but, for my own safety to make sure he wasn't going to pull out a weapon.)

The guy didn't even have DVD's! It was all VHS and old Sega, Nintendo 64, and Windows 98 video games! I thought maybe it was some porn type video store. Nope. No adult section at all. I honestly got the vibe from an old horror movie lol. I could see him luring unsuspecting victims into his shop, where he would lock the door behind them, and cut them to pieces for stew lol. Or he would abduct people for human trafficking lol.

Anyway, I ended up contacting some of my friends in the local PD to see if they'd had any reports of him or his property. They didn't. I don't know but, something is really strange with this guy. Moral of the story: If you're ever in Broomfield Colorado, don't go to the Video store located on hwy 287 and 6th ave behind the Subway lol You may never come out alive!  ;)

Wow, that sounds really creepy. If there's ever any kind of report about him, he should definitely get checked out.


#36    WoIverine

WoIverine

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,736 posts
  • Joined:16 Sep 2008
  • Gender:Male

  • With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

Theres a place called "Lust Pawn" where I live, it's pretty funny. You drive by and just kind of shake your head and silently facepalm.


#37    xlizen

xlizen

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined:12 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:54 AM

My grandparents used to own one of those small grocery stores around the 1950s and it has since been abandoned in Wilkes-Barre. What you need to know about this little store was that it was connected to the house and a neighboring house as well because the relatives lived together. When I visited my Grandma a year ago, I checked out the store and it looked dusty and just felt creepy, like someone was watching you. You can see the shelves in tact where the cans would be placed along with the meat (butcher's cutting block with meat cleaver still there) and fruit section. The cash register is still there too. Another thing I should let you guys know is that my Grandma told me that relatives died in the house and funerals were performed there and there has been paranormal activity at the house, but I never saw anything, just felt a presence. I will try to post some pictures later if I remember. I personally think those abandoned old stores are just really cool to look at since they feel like you are time traveling.

I am not running away from you, I am running away from that beast behind you.

#38    DKO

DKO

    Ω is Futile.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Australia

  • When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

This thread and talk about shops that are fronts for crime reminded me of something funny I saw on Futurama. Bender joined a secret robot league and the front was a 'Horse Mechanic'.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson


Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.


#39    Mantis914

Mantis914

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lone Star State

  • You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

View PostMetallicBlood, on 11 April 2012 - 03:24 AM, said:

Yikes, sounds like you accidentally walked in on some drug dealers secret location or something...I mean an "abandoned" restaurant in the middle of nowhere would be the perfect spot to exchange business.

Glad you got out in time...that could have turned real nasty...but of course you already knew that.

I got a funny vision of something different.  Since I apparently startled them as much as they did me, I was thinking that maybe they heard my "Hellooooo" and thought I may be a ghost or something, at least until they heard my car start and tear down the road.
But, yeah, thanks, I too am glad that I got out of there before anything worse happened...


#40    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

    Caporegime.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:U.K.

  • The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

We aint got nothing like that round by me.

Id like to go into a weird shop.

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.


#41    Golly Buster

Golly Buster

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Closed
  • Pip
  • 183 posts
  • Joined:16 Jul 2012

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

Not sure if this qualifies, but it has puzzled me since I was little.

When I was about 6 or 7 I was with my parents in a shopping centre, wandering around in one of those novelty gift shops. There was a large mirrored wall at the back of the shop behind some racks and I began to vaguely make out shadowy figures moving behind the reflection. So I squeezed into the gap behind the racks (the space was too narrow for an adult to get into), and intuitively pressed my eye up to the glass.

I now recognise that it was a one-way mirror, and behind it there was a group of maybe five completely naked women breastfeeding babies and lounging about on wooden benches. Baffled and fascinated I continued to peek on them until they seemed to notice me and made some commotion and I hi-tailed it out of there.

If it was a normal breastfeeding room attached to some female toilets in the shopping centre, then why did it have a one-way mirror looking into a gift shop? :unsure2:

And why were all the ladies totally nude? :blush:

Edited by Dolly Buster, 16 July 2012 - 06:02 PM.


#42    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

    Vertically Challenged

  • Member
  • 7,312 posts
  • Joined:09 Aug 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Home of 'The Orange'

  • We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

    'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

View PostCarnivorous Entity, on 12 December 2011 - 06:08 PM, said:

We've got the Ye Olde Curiosity shop in Seattle, full of taxidermy, souveniers, and purportedly real shrunken heads and mummies.
It that the one with the mummy from the Mohave Dessert in the back of the store and a giant whale 'thing' hanging on the ceiling?

I've been there. I have to say that is one interesting store.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image


#43    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Joined:20 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Australia

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:22 AM

View PostDolly Buster, on 16 July 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

Not sure if this qualifies, but it has puzzled me since I was little.

When I was about 6 or 7 I was with my parents in a shopping centre, wandering around in one of those novelty gift shops. There was a large mirrored wall at the back of the shop behind some racks and I began to vaguely make out shadowy figures moving behind the reflection. So I squeezed into the gap behind the racks (the space was too narrow for an adult to get into), and intuitively pressed my eye up to the glass.

I now recognise that it was a one-way mirror, and behind it there was a group of maybe five completely naked women breastfeeding babies and lounging about on wooden benches. Baffled and fascinated I continued to peek on them until they seemed to notice me and made some commotion and I hi-tailed it out of there.

If it was a normal breastfeeding room attached to some female toilets in the shopping centre, then why did it have a one-way mirror looking into a gift shop? :unsure2:

And why were all the ladies totally nude? :blush:
o.o

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#44    PrintingRay

PrintingRay

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Joined:12 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United States

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

At my place,the George Washington Masonic Memorial is the most suspecious area in the town and there are a lot of rumors and stories about existance of ghosts there. One more place is the raveyard site on Village Fountain street in Centreville. They took it down or something, and put up new houses. And now those people who brought and live in that place say they keep getting spooked.

Another story is about Bunny Man Bridge at Fairfax Station. which is about a man who (during the 1800s) went off to hunt for food. Upon return to his home, however, he discovered the mutilated bodies of his wife and child. Immediately, he summoned the sheriff. Since the bodies were so horribly mutilated and there were no other suspects, the husband was sent to a mental institution. Maintaining his innocence, the man vowed revenge. After escaping from the institution, the man took up residence near a bridge. Since the only clothes he owned were those made from rabbits’ skin, he soon became known as the “Bunny Man.” As time passed, children started playing near and around the Bunny Man. When several children came up missing, the authorities were notified. When they reached the bridge, officials saw body parts of the children hanging from trees; they also saw the Bunny Man being run over by a train. Today it is said that one may see body parts hanging from the trees and will hear the Bunny Man laughing.


#45    MetallicBlood

MetallicBlood

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Joined:02 Jul 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa, Florida

  • You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostDolly Buster, on 16 July 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

Not sure if this qualifies, but it has puzzled me since I was little.

When I was about 6 or 7 I was with my parents in a shopping centre, wandering around in one of those novelty gift shops. There was a large mirrored wall at the back of the shop behind some racks and I began to vaguely make out shadowy figures moving behind the reflection. So I squeezed into the gap behind the racks (the space was too narrow for an adult to get into), and intuitively pressed my eye up to the glass.

I now recognise that it was a one-way mirror, and behind it there was a group of maybe five completely naked women breastfeeding babies and lounging about on wooden benches. Baffled and fascinated I continued to peek on them until they seemed to notice me and made some commotion and I hi-tailed it out of there.

If it was a normal breastfeeding room attached to some female toilets in the shopping centre, then why did it have a one-way mirror looking into a gift shop? :unsure2:

And why were all the ladies totally nude? :blush:

Are "breastfeeding rooms" something they have in Britain or something? D:

She stands out in a crowd, she thinks out loud to save her breath, with a portrait of her parents death.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users