Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 4 votes

Why does God the Benevolent allow evil

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#1    Alan McDougall

Alan McDougall

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

• The truth is the truth remains the truth no matter what we believe or do not believe the truth is the truth What then is the source of absolute truth?

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:58 AM

The persons named Adam and Eve refers to humanity

The mythical story of the Garden of Eden

Enigma of the existence of evil and the Garden of Eden and “GOD” the Benevolent

I know the story of the Garden and Eden and the fall of man is most  likely a mythical account of a people long past in the mists of time

I will try in my own humble way to answer this most difficult question.

How can we ever reconcile the fact of evil, suffering and pain, existing side by side with a benevolent holy “GOD” of light and love?

Let us go back to the story of the Garden of Eden “GOD” says to Adam in  Gen,Chap 2 Verse 17 that he may eat of any tree except the “TREE OF  KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL”

Note; “The tree of knowledge of Good and evil”, so Evil existed before  Adam. “Adam” representing an entire people and how they related to “GOD”

However, “GOD” being all-knowing knew before hand that Adam was going to  fail the test, so why did he give it in the first place? I hear a loud  reply from the forum, “because he wanted us to have a free will and not  be robots”.

I don’t buy this, completely, as “GOD” could easily given Adam absolute  free rain and said to him “Adam your can do anything you want without  any reservations”

Surely, the above would still have been free will without the “necessity of any test”.

Nevertheless, “GOD” in his infinite wisdom goes ahead and gives Adam  (and Eve) a test he “knows they are going to fail, why? Was this fair  seeing the awful consequences for humanity down through the age?

Yes absolutely as I will describe later in this essay

Let us go back to the origin of evil, where did it come from.

Isaiah Chapt. 45 Verse 7 “GOD” says “I form the light and create  darkness: I make peace and create “evil” I “GOD” do all these things.  “GOD” made everything so he must have made evil but why?

Let us go back to Adam and the pampered environment of the Garden of  Eden. If Adam and Eve (Humanity) had remained and by obeying God ( as God knew the  would not) they would have existed in forever a paradise setting of  beauty warmth, comfort, never ever have to toil work just reach out and  eat do any thing they want .

This would be wonderful for say a hundred years or a thousand years, but  having never ever experienced cold they could not appreciate heat,,  never being hungry never appreciate food, never being thirsty they would  not appreciate the taste and satisfaction of sparking water , never  knowing hate the would not know what love was.

They would have existed in a one-sided reality never knowing the  opposite. But “GOD” knew that they must know evil, pain and sorrow to  become fully functional free thinking beings similar to him in  consciousness and indeed co- creators of their own domain and reality

Therefore, after countless years what we would this as paradise, would become a  boring never changing hell for them. Therefore, “GOD” simply had to banish them from Eden into the  world or toil sorrow and hardship.

So “GOD” being fair and just gave them the test, which they failed and  drove them out of Eden into the present reality world of thorns, cold, dark,  pain, evil etc, etc. This reality is based on a duality we know evil, so can also know Goodness, because we have some opposite to compare it with , We, know truth of Eden so we can hate the lie,  and we experience the light so that we know dark etc etc.

Humanity can look back on a “paradise lost with a longing to for the  eternal wonder and beauty of the original Eden, which they would love  and rejoice as paradise regained by now knowing its true wonder.

I do not for one moment believe the nonsense that there is an eternal  battle between “GOD” and the Satan or that this being is almost  Almighty “GOD”s equal. Satan can only do what God permits him to do as  we read in the book of Job.

In this world there are?

Good and evil
Light and dark
Truth and lie
Deception and honesty
Love and hate
War and Peace
Positive and negative
Faith and despair
Holiness and depravity
Warm and hot
Life and death

And so on and so on……………………

“GOD” bless

Any comments are welcome

Alan

My quote, "The truth is the truth remains the truth no matter what we believe or do not believe even in total ignorance the truth is the truth!  What is absolute Truth?  What is the source of absolute truth  What is the source of life
Let the unknown become known.
We must know what we do not know (And admit it)
Regards Alan

#2    Mr_Snstr

Mr_Snstr

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

• Live Free or Don't

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:09 AM

The way I see it. A benevolent(all loving), omniscient(all seeing), and omnipotent(all powerful) being would have nothing to do except create an amoral universe.

Either that or if the opposite existed. An indifferent, blind, and powerless being existed. The amoral universe we live in is the result of the first being trying to take care of it's opposite. Because it would love it regardless.

#3    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:43 AM

What constitutes good and evil is largely dependent on your point of view, but, for arguments sake, even allowing there is absolute evil, how can people be constrained by a deity to do no evil, without free will going out the window ?

#4    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:47 AM

Hi Alan,
Your views are interesting, but you start by saying (quote) :- I know the story of the Garden and Eden and the fall of man is most   likely a mythical account of a people long past in the mists of time.

Could it also be that god  and satan both fall into the same category?  If one is a mythical account then it is stands to reason that anything to do with this garden of eden is also mythical, which would obviously include god and satan. It would also imply that everything written in the Bible is also a mythical account.  I believe this to be the case, although with most myths there is an element of truth behind it so long as you dont take things literally. You must also be able to 'read between the lines'  :)

#5    The Living Ghost Story

The Living Ghost Story

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

• EXODUS 32:33; LUKE 10:20; HEBREWS 4:6, 11, 6:4-6, 10:26; & REVELATIONS 3:5 ----- JOHN 3:5 & TITUS 3:5

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:48 AM

Satan cast doubts on God and God's word. Bottomline, the woman LISTENED to and obeyed the Devil and the man obeyed the woman. The Devil is very good at mixing abit of lie within a truth. Remember one third of the angels.

SOLA SCRIPTURA

#6    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

View PostGhost Story, on 15 December 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

Satan cast doubts on God and God's word. Bottomline, the woman LISTENED to and obeyed the Devil and the man obeyed the woman. The Devil is very good at mixing abit of lie within a truth. Remember one third of the angels.

Yup. I can just see it now. Adam said '' I am the boss in this house and I have Eve's permission to say so!'' :wacko:

#7    The Living Ghost Story

The Living Ghost Story

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

• EXODUS 32:33; LUKE 10:20; HEBREWS 4:6, 11, 6:4-6, 10:26; & REVELATIONS 3:5 ----- JOHN 3:5 & TITUS 3:5

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:08 AM

View PostEnglishgent, on 15 December 2011 - 09:59 AM, said:

Yup. I can just see it now. Adam said '' I am the boss in this house and I have Eve's permission to say so!'' :wacko:

The Garden of Eden can be suggested an open interpretation. Perhaps, without any true scriptural authority mind you, Satan led an additional rebellion or mutiny. That man chose the creation above God and his authority. Furthermore, perhaps the Garden of Eden represents a universal law or universal principle.

SOLA SCRIPTURA

#8    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,303 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

Who is this God the Benevolent?

#9    Omnaka

Omnaka

Omnaka

• 7,064 posts

• Forgive the Body and love the soul, For the soul is Gods Eternal child, your Brother.
    O.

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 15 December 2011 - 10:32 AM, said:

The Creator of Your Eternal Spirit.

Love Omnmakla

#10    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:00 AM

This is the God who is creating character through experiences learned.

Think about it,
Karlis

#11    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

I have no idea and I won't pretend I know....  I don't believe any man can know what a real God is...

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#12    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:09 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 15 December 2011 - 11:03 AM, said:

~~~ ...

...  I don't believe any man can know what a real God is...
Unless the Creator God reveals any specific aspects about God to Mankind.

#13    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,303 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:11 AM

View PostOmnaka, on 15 December 2011 - 10:43 AM, said:

The Creator of Your Eternal Spirit.
Any relation to God the Jealous, or God the Vengeful?

#14    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

View PostKarlis, on 15 December 2011 - 11:09 AM, said:

Unless the Creator God reveals any specific aspects about God to Mankind.

Unless one happens to take ones simple word for it and believe God has... no facts needed to provide proof.. Just believe in what they say....  Not for me thanks

View PostRlyeh, on 15 December 2011 - 11:11 AM, said:

Ha ha very good...lol.....They could be the new trinity -  God the Benevolent, the Jealous and the vengeful...  lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 15 December 2011 - 11:14 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#15    Omnaka

Omnaka

Omnaka

• 7,064 posts

• Forgive the Body and love the soul, For the soul is Gods Eternal child, your Brother.
    O.

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:39 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 15 December 2011 - 11:11 AM, said:

No, those are man made concepts.

Love Omnaka

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users