Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Discovery of life on another planet

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    Persia

Persia

A Persian Monarchist

• 8,769 posts

• ♥ FREE PERSIA♥

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:55 AM

How would discovery of life on another planet affect religion here?

The discovery of a possible life-bearing planet could have religious implications

http://www.ydr.com/living/ci_19586650

Posted Image

#2    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

Maybe the religous peeps will say that god had a plan 'B'  :devil:

#3    George Ford

George Ford

smile

• 2,823 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

I think there is other life then we have experienced. The reason I say this is that both times I 'saw' god there was other worldly intelligence about. It's to hard to explain the experiences properly.

“Extraordinary claims require extraoardinary evidence”

~
Carl Sagan

#4    Omnaka

Omnaka

Omnaka

• 7,056 posts

• Forgive the Body and love the soul, For the soul is Gods Eternal child, your Brother.
    O.

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:11 PM

The Catholics are ahead of the Game. the pope has already declaired aliens from another world to be our Brother.
Love Omnaka

#5    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,445 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:12 PM

The word 'missionaries' springs to mind.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#6    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:42 PM

Isn't god supposedly the creator of all that is seen and unseen? Aliens would just be that unseen bit... until we see them. lol

I'm not sure why this would affect religion at all.

Embrace the impossible.

#7    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,715 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

View PostPurplos, on 22 December 2011 - 08:42 PM, said:

Isn't god supposedly the creator of all that is seen and unseen? Aliens would just be that unseen bit... until we see them. lol

I'm not sure why this would affect religion at all.

Because of all the planets in the universe, Earth is special.  God made man in his image.  The Christian religions have awasy stated that we are special.  Even though we are animals, they have taught for centuries that of all the creatures on the Earth, only humans have souls, other animals do not.  Proof of other life, especially  intelligent life could turn this all upside down.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#8    Goblin-5

Goblin-5

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

• There is no nonsense so arrant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action.

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:57 PM

Well it would certainly shake things up for the Jews as Gods "chosen people" and as for the Pope.... well.... I wonder if he would say they were "brothers" if they turned out to worship Satan (or their own equivalent)

#9    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,765 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

I think it's only very recently that religion was forced to say 'oh sh!t, there could be life on other planets, we better quickly make an interpretation of the bible etc. to cover our arses and the potential loss of belief in god'.

Suggest life on planets at other times in history and you would probably be accused of blasphemy, or something similar, and disposed of.

Edited by Timonthy, 22 December 2011 - 09:03 PM.

Posted Image

#10    Future_Ikann

Future_Ikann

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:09 PM

I dont think religion will change in any fundemental way. They will simply incorporate the new information into the existing beliefs. The one thing tho, and the most profound thing in my mind. I think it might jump start a race of sorts to colonize planets by religious groups. Everytime a new place was discovered here on earth religious groups were some of the first explorers and pioneers. Always racing to a new place where they can setup a society that is based purely on their values and traditions only. Where the groups need not answer to any other authority but there church and leaders. But thats my opinion and thought on this.

#11    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:53 PM

If god created man in his image (actually I am not religous but I have read the bible and it says. ''let us make man in our image'')  then maybe man has been created on many planets throughout the universe just to see how they all turn out?

#12    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:57 AM

Because of all the planets in the universe, Earth is special.

Well I admit I know very little about whats in the Christian Bible, but it's interesting. I'd love to see some verses mentioning our planet as special.

Embrace the impossible.

#13    metaphysical

metaphysical

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:46 AM

Why not to exist another planet like Earth? Just because scientists they see dots the stars. This means science has many years to advance the technology to prove that. Me even if exists another planet like Earth I wouldn't like to live even there. This is an example of your ideology that you know everything. But in conclusion scientists don't know everything and is a mistake to believe anything that they are saying in theory. To find out that I have to become an Angel in the after life and find out what the Angels are saying to me, you are not alone but you haven't realised that yet. Probably they haven't find anything else except of what you can see.

#14    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,335 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:48 AM

View Postmetaphysical, on 23 December 2011 - 04:46 AM, said:

Why not to exist another planet like Earth? Just because scientists they see dots the stars. This means science has many years to advance the technology to prove that. Me even if exists another planet like Earth I wouldn't like to live even there. This is an example of your ideology that you know everything. But in conclusion scientists don't know everything and is a mistake to believe anything that they are saying in theory. To find out that I have to become an Angel in the after life and find out what the Angels are saying to me, you are not alone but you haven't realised that yet. Probably they haven't find anything else except of what you can see.

Chill out and take your meds.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#15    metaphysical

metaphysical

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:56 AM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 23 December 2011 - 04:48 AM, said:

Chill out and take your meds.
Unfortunately here you don't understand when we speak with a spirit as a medium. Go find a way to speak with spirits like Angels. They don't like you as you treat me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users