Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Was Uffington White Horse really a unicorn?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,039 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

www.telegraph.co.uk said:

A historical campaign group has launched a 50,000 bid to have the world famous Uffington White Horse made into a unicorn.

The plan by the 'Save the Unicorn at Uffington' has more than 1,000 members and is being lead by Bronze Age enthusiasts.

They claim the 3,000-year-old horse made from crushed white chalk in Uffington, Oxfordshire, was originally meant to be a depiction of the mythical horned beast.

The amateur historians have now received financial backing from 'well-wishers' including a 50,000 anonymous donation towards adding a 75-foot long horn to the horse.

The Uffington White Horse - which measures 374 feet - or 110 metres - is owned and managed by The National Trust - who have now received a proposal about the horn from the campaigners.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

Early British culture was dominated by the horse, small bronze statues of horses aren't that rare from this period have any bronze unicorns been found? the horse (many stylized like the Uffington horse) is found on coins from this period is there any with a unicorn on? i think not.

Thank god i'm an athiest.

Veni, vidi, Vertigo, i came i saw i couldn't get down.
Hetrodoxly.

#3    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,337 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

Considering the earliest known reference to an animal that can be attributed 'a unicorn' was some 2,500 years ago in ancient Greece, I find it doubtful that ancient Britons some 3,000 years ago were 'fascinated' by this mythological creature.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#4    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

In The Pattern of the Past, based on his dowsing of the site, Guy Underwood proposed an alternative figure of a more recognizable horse, but certainly no horn.  I'm sure figures of Underwood's interpretation have been posted here before on another UWH thread

EDIT: Found the link
Posted Image

Edited by Oppono Astos, 22 December 2011 - 07:38 PM.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#5    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,816 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:12 PM

IMO, kind of stupid.. They want to take a piece of 3,000 art and make a modern addition to it. May as well start defacing other art to suit our wishes as well, blech. Mona Lisa mustache anyone?

I have to think that if the original carvers took the time to make something that has lasted so long, well if it was meant to have a horn they would have carved that in too, and it would have survived just as well as the rest of the carving has.

If these folks want a unicorn so bad.. Why don't they just take their money and find another hill to carve it into?

#6    AncientExplorer

AncientExplorer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 31 posts

• *insert smart quote here*

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:08 AM

To me that would just be ruining it. I agree with rashore, if it was supposed to be a unicorn, it would be. Why can`t we just leave special things alone, and not try to change them  <_<

'A few minutes ago every tree was excited, bowing to the roaring storm, waving, swirling, tossing their branches in glorious enthusiasm like worship. But though to the outer ear these trees are now silent, their songs never cease.' ~ John Muir

#7    Dougal

Dougal

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

How on earthy can they even try and justify defacing an ancient work of art like that?

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me :|

"Science is simply common sense at its best that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic." Thomas Henry Huxley English biologist.
"Shall I refuse my dinner because I do not fully understand the process of digestion?" Oliver Heaviside English physicist.

#8    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,245 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

I say we put a saddle on it.   With a traditional American cowbow too.

#9    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

Funny, I always thought that the Uffington Horse looked much more like a feline profile. But, what does a Yank know anyway ...

#10    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:57 PM

Unicorns are stupid.

#11    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,346 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:31 PM

I think that the original Uffington Horse....may have been a stylized dragon...

There is hill very near it called Dragon Hill.

http://www.berkshire...ragon_hill.html

and it may have been put there to represent the natural electro-magnetic-(plasma?) energy lines that criss cross the

countryside (and the whole earth)

#12    squidboy

squidboy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:25 PM

Yep, its a unicorn, no doubt about it.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#13    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• 1,339 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:56 PM

The Unicorn was probably an attempt by Greeks to describe the Indian Rhinoceros to the folks back home. They said it looked like 'a river horse with a horn on its nose', which it does. "River horse," in Greek, is 'hippo-potamus," and the Greeks knew about them through trade with Egypt. Later, people who didn't know that a 'river horse' was a different sort of horse indeed, just shortened it to 'a horse with a horn'.

That's my theory, anyway.

#14    Damrod

Damrod

Seeker of Knowledge

• Banned
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:04 AM

They need to leave it alone...if there is no evidence of it being more than what it appears to be....just let it be what it is.  The idea of it being mystical is goofy...it appears to me to be reverence to something they thought was extremely important...leave it as it stands...

#15    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:39 AM

Yes. Theres no need to stick a horn on it. Its a horse: leave it at that. Hey, at least horses actually exist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users