Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What are the Great Pyramids really made of?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#16    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:32 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 23 December 2011 - 05:52 PM, said:

The name of the site says this, "We come from the future."

I am from the "past" and I say they talk crap.

They are idiots with no life. *I* have no life either, but I do not make up fantasies to get the needed attention.

But what is this internet about? It's about crazy people craving for their 15 minutes of fame.

And then we have the doomsday sayers, they are the worst.

That site often have great articles.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#17    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,297 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

It's not enough to settle on something that seems simplest. One has to examine the evidence of the source culture and what we know of it's technologies and capabilities. There is no evidence from pharaonic Egypt of concrete building methods. Probably the leading proponent of this theme is Davidovitz but cormac is right--the idea cannot be supported with real-world evidence. After all, there's a good reason the concrete argument is not taken seriously.

The Egyptians made ample use of mortar and it is well evidenced, but mortar was not used as a construction medium. Also common was mud brick, made today in much the same way it was thousands of years ago, but mud brick is not the most stable medium for monuments that were meant to stand forever. Look at the pyramids of the later Old Kingdom, whose cores are largely mud brick. They're mostly ruins today.

But at Giza the pyramids are mostly solid masonry through and through. This is why they've stood so well against the ages. And if there's any doubt, just look at the massive quarries at Giza: countless tons of stone blocks were obviously cut for something.

Posted Image
The evil overlord mummy moderator has spoken.

Visit My Blog!

#18    blackdogsun

blackdogsun

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:43 PM

also if you look at the actual core masonry blocks that make up the great pyramid they are all unique in size and shape and definitely not popped out of a mold, with definite chisel marks on all surfaces (see John Roma's book 'The Great Pyramid', excellent read)

#19    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,180 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

View PostMelo, on 23 December 2011 - 08:32 PM, said:

That site often have great articles.

That depends on what you think is 'great'.

I was not impressed much by what I read there.

#20    voiceofreason

voiceofreason

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 151 posts

• The proof is out there.

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

Twoddle. If they were poured into a mould they would all be the same, They are definitely not. The Egyptians quarried blocks. (look at the unfinished obelisk for proof, you can see the hammer marks were it was pounded out of the bed rock). There are unfinished blocks in the quarry near to the pyramids. One question springs to mind. Would the moulded blocks be strong enough, structurally, to hold the massive weight of all the other blocks stacked on top? I think not. Anyone who has actually been to Egypt, and seen these structures, would know that they are cut from the nearby quarry, and dragged into place using sleds, ramps, and lots and lots of manpower.

Edited by voiceofreason, 24 December 2011 - 12:05 PM.

#21    Yellow Jacket

Yellow Jacket

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

It was aliens

#22    seller2006

seller2006

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

• Student of the Quran

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

lol all the illogical theories, especially limestone ones. It is MUD, lol they made the mud bricks on the building sites, that why theres not much space between the bricks....

#23    voiceofreason

voiceofreason

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:32 PM

View Postseller2006, on 24 December 2011 - 03:51 PM, said:

lol all the illogical theories, especially limestone ones. It is MUD, lol they made the mud bricks on the building sites, that why theres not much space between the bricks....
The Egyptians did build out of mud bricks.They used them for houses, store rooms and sometimes palaces. But temples and tombs were made from quarried stone. A house had to last a lifetime, but a tomb or temple had to last for eternity. The pyramids are made from cut granite, and were finished off with a polished casing of limestone.

#24    voiceofreason

voiceofreason

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:47 PM

View Postvoiceofreason, on 24 December 2011 - 07:32 PM, said:

The Egyptians did build out of mud bricks.They used them for houses, store rooms and sometimes palaces. But temples and tombs were made from quarried stone. A house had to last a lifetime, but a tomb or temple had to last for eternity. The pyramids are made from cut granite, and were finished off with a polished casing of limestone.
Also, there are lots of gaps between the stones, you appear to be confusing the pyramids with the Puma punka temple in South America.
Please see the picture below for gaps.
http://www.etltravel...id_Entrance.jpg

#25    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,111 posts

• Oops.

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:14 AM

View Postvoiceofreason, on 24 December 2011 - 07:32 PM, said:

Er... no. There are some blocks of granite but most of the stonework is limestone. Though the limestone did have a outlayer of more refined limestone as well.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#26    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:05 AM

hmm... I wish they had included more of the scientific data backing up the dudes theory.

#27    Gaden

Gaden

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

• simple but not simple minded

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:32 AM

View Postbulveye, on 23 December 2011 - 05:31 PM, said:

Interesting! Would make more sense if they blocks were poured. If it is the case then we should be able to reproduce the procedure. Unless of course aliens made the mixture...  :alien:

Actually, it makes no sense to pour blocks. You'd still have to get them up on the pyramid, which would be the hardest part of the project. You would also have to grind the stone to make smaller particles, more laborious than shaping, in my opinion. Only the labor in cutting the stones ( limestone is very soft, so this was not a difficult task) and dragging them to the site would be saved. To reiterate; poured blocks would be of uniform dimensions, which any picture you can find of the pyramids proves this is not the case. Poured blocks would also negate the use of mortar in between the stones and it is well known that this was done extensively. And then there is the matter of the marks on the stones from hammers and chisels.  Chemical analysis of the stone prove that they came from the quarry

I'm trying to see things from your point of view, I just can't get my head that far up my butt

#28    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence. He whose k

• 11,480 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:38 AM

View PostCassea, on 23 December 2011 - 06:25 PM, said:

Then why are there bubbles in the blocks? :huh:
Why did they make a thousand different-sized blocks?  I mean, if you're pouring concrete, wouldn't it be simpler (your argument, after all,) to use the same forms over and over?

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#29    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,297 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:00 AM

View PostHarte, on 26 December 2011 - 02:38 AM, said:

Why did they make a thousand different-sized blocks?  I mean, if you're pouring concrete, wouldn't it be simpler (your argument, after all,) to use the same forms over and over?

Harte

LOL Only a thousand? More like a couple of million different-sized blocks. Man, that's a lot of custom-made forms!

A very good point, though. The lack of uniformity alone argues against concrete in the construction. Then again, so does common sense--when one analyzes the culture that produced the pyramids. :rolleyes:

Posted Image
The evil overlord mummy moderator has spoken.

Visit My Blog!

#30    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence. He whose k

• 11,480 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:58 AM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 26 December 2011 - 03:00 AM, said:

LOL Only a thousand? More like a couple of million different-sized blocks. Man, that's a lot of custom-made forms!

I thought the argument went that the upper blocks were poured.

Didn't someone say that here in this thread?

I wonder how they poured the granite blocks.

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users