Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

'Yeti finger' DNA test results to be revealed

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:54 PM

View PostZarifa, on 31 December 2011 - 04:10 PM, said:

UFOs and Bigfoot, among other paranormal subjects...it's difficult being a witness to these things and being scoffed at by others who have not shared the experience. Oh well, it will all come out in the wash. Does the human DNA really explain this as human as we know it, when we know so little about all that "junk" DNA? Science is all about on-going theories waiting to be proven to our satisfaction. I'm not satisfied that we know enough about DNA to draw a conclusion yet.

The lack of understanding about science and the scientific method among the general public is shocking.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#17    Zarifa

Zarifa

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

I'm not satisfied with science, until it is proven to my satisfaction. Proof is based on evidence, but invariably opens doors to other mysteries and theories. DNA research is still in its infancy, as is ecological study. Many aspects of both can be safely accepted by virtue of evidence, but we are nowhere near closing the book on either.

#18    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,850 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:37 PM

View PostZarifa, on 31 December 2011 - 04:10 PM, said:

UFOs and Bigfoot, among other paranormal subjects...it's difficult being a witness to these things and being scoffed at by others who have not shared the experience. Oh well, it will all come out in the wash. Does the human DNA really explain this as human as we know it, when we know so little about all that "junk" DNA? Science is all about on-going theories waiting to be proven to our satisfaction. I'm not satisfied that we know enough about DNA to draw a conclusion yet.
I wonder too.

Would the Elephant Man's DNA come back as human? Andre the Giant's DNA. Would a hypertrichosis afflicted person? How about an albino? How about the Indonesian Tree Man? They probably all come back as human, but stand out from everyone else.

Bigfoots and Yetis could be the same thing. A genetic disorder.

So the hand could still be a Yeti Hand, just not a different species of ape.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#19    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:10 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 02 January 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

I wonder too.

Would the Elephant Man's DNA come back as human? Andre the Giant's DNA. Would a hypertrichosis afflicted person? How about an albino? How about the Indonesian Tree Man? They probably all come back as human, but stand out from everyone else.

I think you could use this argument for this case but not for the whole yeti/bigfoot existence in general.

It would certainly clear those monks from being called liars. Posted Image

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#20    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,850 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:03 AM

I wonder too.

I forgot, did they carbon date the finger? Did they check it for Neanderthal DNA?

I'll go back and check the article.

Edit: A quick Google check seems to indicate that they did not date the finger, or check it against early Homo species. They found human DNA and called it good.

Edited by DieChecker, 03 January 2012 - 02:09 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#21    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:35 PM

Yes
they would certainly come back as human DNA. And if their maladies are genetic, they would come back as human with a noted genetic defect.

what gene carries the marker for "imaginary?"

#22    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,850 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:05 AM

View PostNeognosis, on 03 January 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

Yes
they would certainly come back as human DNA. And if their maladies are genetic, they would come back as human with a noted genetic defect.
The article says they did not have a complete set of DNA, so they just tried to match what they had and what they had matched against human. They did not say what percentage of a full DNA sample they tested. The Yeti Finger could easily have come off some poor genetic freak who was mistaken for a Yeti.

#23    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,812 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:29 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 04 January 2012 - 12:05 AM, said:

The article says they did not have a complete set of DNA, so they just tried to match what they had and what they had matched against human. They did not say what percentage of a full DNA sample they tested. The Yeti Finger could easily have come off some poor genetic freak who was mistaken for a Yeti.

Current genome sequencing has/is being performed on much older remains, resulting in notable insights:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk...-tree93500.html

http://www.physorg.c...ve-healthy.html

The metrics of the limb would appear to be of adult dimension. To propose that an individual born with a condition such as hypertrichosis (combined with gigantism?) would survive to adulthood without communal support (and the knowledge thereof) within the climatic constraints of the region may be rather problematic.

#24    TheWord

TheWord

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

Funny how the majority of public here goes "see its human - told you it couldnt be bigfoot"  - but when star-child dna results come back majority says "can't be - wasnt a good dna test, they are lying, not a credible testing source, etc..

#25    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,812 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

View PostTheWord, on 07 February 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

Funny how the majority of public here goes "see its human - told you it couldnt be bigfoot"  - but when star-child dna results come back majority says "can't be - wasnt a good dna test, they are lying, not a credible testing source, etc..

"...a DNA sample was taken from the skull, and was subjected to DNA probes  designed to detect sequences of DNA that are unique to humans (performed  by Dr. David Sweet, Director of the Bureau of Legal Dentistry at the  University of British Columbia)5. The Starchild skull DNA was found to  contain both an X and a Y chromosome. This is conclusive evidence that  the child was not only human (and male), but both of his parents must  have been human as well, for each must have contributed one of the human  sex chromosomes" (Emphasis added).

http://www.theness.c...rchild-project/

#26    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

Guess that sinks it.

#27    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Pooseycat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 07 February 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

Guess that sinks it.
Probably. But keep in mind that the religious have been known to improve on the evidence (to preserve the faith of the faithful) and if an original 'yeti' hand rotted away, it's not inconceivable that it might have been replaced with a convenient human hand.

#28    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,850 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

View PostSwede, on 07 February 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

"...a DNA sample was taken from the skull, and was subjected to DNA probes  designed to detect sequences of DNA that are unique to humans (performed  by Dr. David Sweet, Director of the Bureau of Legal Dentistry at the  University of British Columbia)5. The Starchild skull DNA was found to  contain both an X and a Y chromosome. This is conclusive evidence that  the child was not only human (and male), but both of his parents must  have been human as well, for each must have contributed one of the human  sex chromosomes" (Emphasis added).

http://www.theness.c...rchild-project/
can't be - wasnt a good dna test, they are lying, not a credible testing source, etc..

:w00t:

So many people have put so much faith into that Star-Child skull, it is much scarier to me then the bigfoot people.

#29    Myles

Myles

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,502 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

I wonder too.

But those conditions would not have gone through thousands of years.

#30    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,812 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:58 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 07 February 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

can't be - wasnt a good dna test, they are lying, not a credible testing source, etc..

:w00t:

So many people have put so much faith into that Star-Child skull, it is much scarier to me then the bigfoot people.

Agreed! There is another factor that could be considered amusing/questionable. Have had the opportunity to view a number of photos of the "Starchild" skull. While working from photos is does have its limitations, certain factors can be evaluated. One of these is the ability to compare (depending on photo angle) the various cranial components to those known to be consistent with H.s.s.

While there is the obvious distortion of some of these due to hydrocephaly, the various cranial components of H.s.s.would all appear to be present. Parietals, frontals, temporals,zygoma, mastiod processes, nasals, lacrimals, etc., etc. Even the supraorbital foramen.

Which begs the question: Would an "alien" hybrid exhibit the exact same cranial components as a genetically "untampered" H.s.s.?

This aspect does not, of course, even begin to deal with the complex physiological/metabolic/hormonal and related matters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users