Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Bog Roll

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    BradVaughn

BradVaughn

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

• Local Journalist

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:59 PM

Sometimes the scariest thing is an unbalanced mind.
In my home town of Southend-on-Sea, we have a few odd stories here and there. But by far, the weirdest is one originating from our largest, most popular green space - Priory Park. Whilst it is usually the territory of picnicking families, kids playing football and dogs gnawing on a frisbee I have heard stories of a darker nature. For instance, an old house within the park is said to be haunted by dead monks who wander around the dusty halls in their black robes. But what really unnerved me was when I began hearing about 'Bog Roll'.

Bog Roll is not a ghost, monster or any other fantastic, mythical creature. From what I have heard and seen, he is very human. He spends a lot of his time under a filthy bridge in the park, through which runs a small stream which passes through a lot of Southend, allowing him to scuttle off when the urge takes him. From photographs, even one I took, he looks like he has taken to wrapping himself in toilet paper and shouting absurd babble at passers by.

I investigated this story myself, and whilst I cannot say for certain what I saw, I can tell you this: The guy under that bridge was talking to himself and wearing some kind of white mask over his face. Other than that, I can't tell if it was toilet paper, if he was a dangerous lunatic or some weird, coporphilia-obsessed fetishist.

Here's links to a local site and my twitter pic of what I saw:

http://strangesouthend.blogspot.com/

http://twitpic.com/5i37no

The fact that he's wearing some sort of coat leads me to believe that a lot of the stories have been blown out of proportion. But it's still a very unique story in an otherwise sleepy little town.

SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Not just a really, really, really long pier

#2    George Ford

George Ford

Just pretend you didn't see anything

• Banned
  • 3,149 posts

• 'I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc'

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:05 PM

This could be big! Get more photos! Take a friend for safety and go and interview him for the sake of humanity!

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” ~ Carl Sagan

#3    acute

acute

I'm a hoglet. Get over it!

• 3,063 posts

• Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

At last... some cutting edge journalism!

I have edited the picture by uploading it to my Etch-A-Sketch and enhancing it with TrampScape 5.
I can confirm the presence of what appears to be Bog Roll Chinos.

#4    MetallicBlood

MetallicBlood

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

• You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:51 AM

I can't see s*** in the second pic.

She stands out in a crowd, she thinks out loud to save her breath, with a portrait of her parents death.

#5    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:35 AM

View PostMetallicBlood, on 05 January 2012 - 04:51 AM, said:

I can't see s*** in the second pic.

Me neither.

#6    ThePhantomFlanFlinger

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:06 AM

Maybe the Andrex dog did it to him and he walks the earth till he gets his revenge on  that damn cute dog...!!!...or hes just mad which if is the case he shouldn't be mocked....just given a wide berth...

Edited by BrianPotter, 05 January 2012 - 07:14 AM.

#7    George Ford

George Ford

• Banned
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostEnglishgent, on 05 January 2012 - 06:35 AM, said:

Me neither.

Me neither as well. Just looks like a dark corridor or room. Unless it's under the bridge where Bog Roll Man sometimes sleeps?

#8    JustMeRicky

JustMeRicky

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

• "The Truth is out there."

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:59 AM

So basicaly, there is a homeless man there with mental issues...how rare...

"The truth is out there......but are we willing to accept it when we find it?"

#9    George Ford

George Ford

• Banned
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

But this is a man covered in bog role. People that sell The Big Issue are not covered in bog role. Plus there is little evidence for his existence so he has become an urban legend.

#10    BradVaughn

BradVaughn

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

• Local Journalist

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostPlease-Forgive-Me, on 18 January 2012 - 12:59 AM, said:

So basicaly, there is a homeless man there with mental issues...how rare...

Truthfully, I understand how you feel. You see, in my town there are a few oddballs who are mocked, and I've always found it distasteful. There is a fellow, whose name I won't divulge, who is particularly lambasted. He is possibly schizophrenic and mutters to himself, he's old, half blind and completely alone. This poor, vulnerable man is offered no comfort, no solace. Know how he's treated? Some puke on the internet calls him a pedophile and soon it spreads. Oh, he's an old man, he's single, he's weird. So he must be a pedophile.

These people disgust me. Another example? There's a fellow who collects pennies, he walks around with a big bucket and picks up spare change. They mock him, as cruel people tend to do, and throw things at him. Even attack him and post it on YouTube.
Is that right? Is that fair?
No. And that's why you don't see me slandering these poor people all over the net.

But this man, no, this is different. You see, I did not see a man dressed in toilet paper. I saw a man in a black coat who looked like he was wearing a big white bodysuit which extended to a mask over his face.
The picture I posted was of a poor quality, because it was taken quickly as he was shouting abuse at me. Is he the man I'm talking about? Maybe, maybe not. But I will not mock him, I will not compel people to throw things at him or run him out of town. It is a strange story and I feel that strange stories are my forte.

You may not understand my mentality, but I feel no scorn towards this man. Mental illness or not, the simple fact is that I love stories like this and men like that make life worth living. Of course, as I stated, I think it's all bunk. A mix of childish vandalism with a healthy embellishment of macabre storytelling, but the truth is irrelevant. It's the story that matters.

Oh, and I've been back recently. No one there that time, once my sister gives me back my camera, I'll post some HQ pics of the area. Like I said, the story attracts people there and some of them have *ahem* deocrated the area with toilet rolls and such.
But I maintain that a homeless man simply could not afford toilet roll, and no one would give money to a beggar wrapped in the stuff.

So please, let's be civil and don't mistake my love of a good yarn for some barbaric, freak-show disdain for the mentally ill.
No offence intended, friend :)

SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

#11    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

How did u even gather the courage to go under there? Took me about a minute to realize he was sitting down, with his arms keeping him sat up.

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#12    George Ford

George Ford

• Banned
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

I talk to the homeless sometimes, even gave one 20.00 once and he was so overwhelmed he cried. I felt good for the rest of the day!

#13    BradVaughn

BradVaughn

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

• Local Journalist

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

Okay, got my camera back today. Here's the new photographs I took of the area. As I said, this time there was no one there, but some kids had a little fun and spruced up the area with some toilet rolls. The stream runs a long way through the town and I've also included a shot of another tunnel to show the area off. If this guy is real (BIG 'if') he would have a lot of places to hide, sleep, etc.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

#14    George Ford

George Ford

• Banned
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the pictures. Bog Roll Man could possibly eat fish he catches in the stream? Or is it just a waste water conduit?

Does not look like a cosy place to live.

#15    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,148 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

View Postbulveye, on 21 January 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

Thanks for the pictures. Bog Roll Man could possibly eat fish he catches in the stream? Or is it just a waste water conduit?

Does not look like a cosy place to live.
Sounds like Gollum, if you ask me.
He's not looking for a Precious, is he?

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users