Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The hunt for Mokele-mbembe: Congo's Loch Ness

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,051 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

www.bbc.co.uk said:

The search for Scotland's Loch Ness Monster is world famous. Far less well-known is the hunt for a similar creature, Mokele-mbembe, which is reputed to live in the remote north of Congo-Brazzaville. But how strong is the evidence?

"I checked maps, and the data on the maps was white.It said, 'insufficient data to delineate terrain'. Well that got me!" says Dr Roy Mackal, a retired biologist from the University of Chicago.

"It's the end of the world. It gives you a feeling of a surviving prehistoric time.

In the 1980s, Dr Mackal led two expedition teams to the vast Likouala swamp and rainforest area of the Congo which is inhabited by pygmies, on the hunt for this mystery creature - Africa's version of Scotland's Loch Ness Monster.

The Mokele-mbembe is reputed to be a large reptile-like creature, with a long neck, and long tail.

Despite being a herbivore, it is said to roar aggressively if approached by humans. Some say it has a single horn, which it uses to kill elephants.

Many a Western explorer over the years has been gripped by the tantalising possibility that they could discover a creature - a formidable one at that - that has remained, as yet, unknown to science.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Cryptid-Seeker

Cryptid-Seeker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:10 PM

The Mokele-mbembe is more commonly a Diplodocus-type creature that lives on land but enjoys going in the water.

Edited by Cryptid-Seeker, 28 December 2011 - 07:12 PM.

Posted Image

#3    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,287 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:41 PM

Seems like a re-hash of what is already known, but I still welcome the idea that MM is out there in the Congo swamps.

What I always say, when people talk about how sauropods could not bend or live like the MM does, is that evolution has had hundreds of millions of years to change, say a turtle, into what is today the Mokele-Mbembe. It is clearly not a dinosaur/sauropod. It just looks like one somewhat. Just as a dolphin looks like a shark somewhat, and bat looks somewhat like a bird. Whales, elephants, kangaroos, humans, mice, bats and even hyraxes have all evolved since the time of the dinosaurs from one little rodent like critter. So there is no reason that the MM cannot look the way it is described. Once one is caught, the why of why it looks that way will quickly be solved.

Personally, I think it might be some kind of elephant, or maybe a kind of rhino. Long necked hippo?

Roy Mackal has a Wiki entry.
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Roy_Mackal

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#4    Cryptid-Seeker

Cryptid-Seeker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

I think that the Mokele-mbembe could quite easily be a sauropod dinosaur. They ate plants which are in abundance, and there is nothing in those jungles that could kill a Diplodocus (apart from humans). Percy Harrison Fawcett, the famous explorer claimed to have seen one, and there are many legends about the creature stopping rivers by standing in the water.

Posted Image

#5    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

Funny that the vast majority of reports fit perfectly with a hippo.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#6    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Spectating

• 4,729 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

I would love there to be some truth in the Mokele-mbembe sightings, but not as much as my son who brought a Diplodocus at the Natural History Museum and named it Mokele-mbembe.

I think DieChecker is closer to the truth, if such a creature exists it would more likely to be an unknown variant of an already known animal. I would go with a longer necked rhino.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#7    95-Nasty

95-Nasty

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 193 posts

• Mom and daddy said "the life that you've led
    You'll party you're way straight to hell"

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:27 AM

I saw a programme on TV 'River Monsters' wasnt this proved to be some sort of fish (pike or a cat fish), unsure of the exact fish!

#8    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

View PostCryptid-Seeker, on 28 December 2011 - 09:22 PM, said:

I think that the Mokele-mbembe could quite easily be a sauropod dinosaur. They ate plants which are in abundance, and there is nothing in those jungles that could kill a Diplodocus (apart from humans). Percy Harrison Fawcett, the famous explorer claimed to have seen one, and there are many legends about the creature stopping rivers by standing in the water.

Sauropods were horrendously ill-suited for living in a dense jungle or a lake, so hunger or drowning would kill any Congolese Diplodocus quite quickly and efficiently.

And Percy Fawcett never set foot in the Congo Basin. He worked in South America.

And all sauropods have been extinct since about 65.5 million years ago. All animals above a certains size were killed of during the K-T Event, and sauropods were way bigger than the largest survivors. There is no reason to believe that they could have survived.

#9    BorisIWantToKnow

BorisIWantToKnow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

• Credendo Vides, Seeing is Believing

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

Yes i agree that Mokele-mbembe is or was somekind of dinosaur.The interesting thing is that in the beginning it was described as a huge monster with a gorilla like body, a massive mouth in the place of it's stomach and an ape like head.

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.

#10    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,434 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

As a child i remember seeing a photo of an Elephant that use to swim across a lake in Sri Lanka or India(can't remember which).As i remember it swam with its trunk in the air and its head and back looked like humps on top of the water.I wonder if this would be what the locals in the Congo are seeing.I have scoured the internet to find this photo but to no avail.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#11    Cryptid-Seeker

Cryptid-Seeker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

Percy Harrison Fawcett did as far as one of my cryptozoology books says. I am sorry if I am mistaken clobclean cean.

#12    Cryptid-Seeker

Cryptid-Seeker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:47 PM

Sorry, i mean clobhair cean

#13    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Spectating

• 4,729 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:01 AM

View PostBorisIWantToKnow, on 29 December 2011 - 02:15 PM, said:

Yes i agree that Mokele-mbembe is or was somekind of dinosaur.The interesting thing is that in the beginning it was described as a huge monster with a gorilla like body, a massive mouth in the place of it's stomach and an ape like head.

Aren't you thinking of a South American, Giant Sloth related cryptid? The name escapes me, anyone else know the name for this one?

Edited by Junior Chubb, 30 December 2011 - 01:01 AM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#14    grendals_bane

grendals_bane

Master Procrastinator

• 1,057 posts

• I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned. - Byron

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:33 AM

Personally I think the Mokele Mbembe is a description of an Elephant and/or a Rhino. The most likely scenario to me is that the description of the animals have been passed down the generations from a time when the natives lived in an area where Elephants and Rhinos were a common sight and they have ended up getting merged into what has become the Mokele Mbembe.

"There is no such thing as good and evil, just various shades of grey."

#15    Cryptid-Seeker

Cryptid-Seeker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:23 AM

I checked my book and I am
not mistaken. I am merely repeating facts. I q
am sorry if I was misinformed

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic