Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

18 times more topics in TV forum than here

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

Kind of sad...

Well, I love to read.
How about some suggestions?

I'll read fiction or non-fiction.
My favorites are horror :)

#2    Finder of Lost Things

Finder of Lost Things

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

• Why so serious?

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:48 PM

F. Paul Wilson. Specifically his Repairman Jack series which intersects with the Adversary series....probably should start with The Keep.

#3    SpiritWalker7

SpiritWalker7

Eternal Seeker

• 3,299 posts

• “You need to spend time crawling alone through shadows to truly appreciate what it is to stand in the sun.”-Shaun Hick

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

Yeah.. It does seem like hardly anyone does read. I've only posted in this part of the forum once, about the Mothman prophecies.  :unsure2:

I myself go through at least two books a week.  :rofl:

Since you like horror, have you read anything by Stephen King or Anne Rice?
The Nightlife series by Rob Thurman is also good, although it is humorous too because of the main character's sarcasm.  :yes:

"When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

#4    HawkLord

HawkLord

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

• I reserve the right to change my mind when better and more accurate info becomes available.

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

I love a good read and have hundreds of books that I've read more than a couple of times. :geek:  They are mostly all horror, science fiction and fantasy really. Most kids today wont read a book unless it can fit on their iPhone or iPad :rolleyes: .

The rocks in my head fill the holes in yours.

It is easy to spout the wisdom of others when you have none of your own.

Insult me all you like but remember that i have a sword.

#5    Jaquariuml

Jaquariuml

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:09 AM

yeah i do believe that reading is a slowly dying past time. i believe that it is not TV shows and movies to blame as much as gaming. Video games are becoming larger,some are more complex, have good story lines and have very high immersion factors now. But that being said there obviously is still a good market in books with the popularity of the e-readers like the kindle and the nook. i believe that nothing beats a good book.
          I have asked this in another topic before and got some great suggestions but i was wondering if someone could recommend a good book or author for me. I am looking for a fantasy/ horror story with the classic christian good vs evil battle as in heaven and hell. I really enjoyed the Word and the Void series by terry brooks. Something kinda like that i guess.

#6    Finder of Lost Things

Finder of Lost Things

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

• Why so serious?

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

If I am having trouble coming up with a new series of books to read and want something similar to what I have already read and liked I go to Amazon and type in a book I read and liked go to it's "page". Usually under the book description is the "customers who bought this item also bought" area and you can usually find similar books. Just click on em and look the descriptions and reviews till you find something appealing. When I looked at Terry Brooks Running With The Demon there were several other books/authors who popped up, Terry Goodkind among them whom my son really likes and keeps trying to get me to read. Amazon will also give you recommendations based on your wish list and things you've looked at in the past and they don't do half bad.

#7    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:56 PM

thanks for the suggestions.

I'm currently reading Steven King's newest one.  It's interesting...but not horror...

Vampires aren't my thing, but I may give Ann Rice a go anyway.

;)

#8    Caterism

Caterism

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:42 AM

Although not in the horror genre, Stephen King's "Under the Dome" has to rate as one of the best books I've read.

The best series has to be the Night Watch series of books by a Russian author, Sergei Lukyanenko: http://en.m.wikipedi...ukyanenko_novel)

#9    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

What kind of nonfiction do you prefer?

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#10    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

View PostCaterism, on 13 January 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

Although not in the horror genre, Stephen King's "Under the Dome" has to rate as one of the best books I've read.

The best series has to be the Night Watch series of books by a Russian author, Sergei Lukyanenko: http://en.m.wikipedi...ukyanenko_novel)

for a 1,000+ page book Under the Dome was absolutely pedal to the metal nonstop action.  The premise was kind of retarded, but the characters in that one were superb!

#11    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:46 AM

The best of King personally are Carrie, The Shining, Salem's Lot, The Long Walk (Bachman), The Dead Zone, Cujo, IT, and The Green Mile.

And his collections Night Shift, Different Seasons, Skeleton Crew, and Nightmares & Dreamscapes.

The first few books of The Dark Tower are worth reading. Especially love the 2nd and 3rd books.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#12    sandlot

sandlot

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

I  loved Isaac Asimov's "The God's Themselves". Probably one of the best sci fi books I've ever read. Also " Dune" rocks!

#13    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

Cool!  I just started Asimov's Foundation Series yesterday.

#14    sandlot

sandlot

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:45 AM

I just realized I didn't write down  the author of "Dune" . Frank Herbert, but you probably already knew that! LOL!  :tu:

Edited by TransparentReality, 03 February 2012 - 05:48 AM.

#15    Winterwind

Winterwind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

I was thinking exactly the same as the OP. I'd rather read than watch TV any time. And my preference is for non-fiction.

I am quite surprised that the books section has such low traffic. Considering the nature of these boards I thought there would be a lot more readers than there seem to be.

Issue 19 of the Winterwind Papers now online
- http://www.winterwind-productions.com
- Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users