Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Giving up eating meat

• Please log in to reply
448 replies to this topic

#1    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,543 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:45 PM

I am thinking of giving up eating meat.

I would really appreciate some feedback... the pros and cons in a Spiritual context, not necessarily for health reasons.

Please share your thoughts. Much appreciated.

Posted Image

#2    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:25 PM

I cannot think of any....... I feel it is not healthy to give up meat... but in a spiritual sense.. Sorry i cannot be of help

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#3    Chinese Angel

Chinese Angel

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

• hit yourself in the face, and try if you feel something!

yes its hurt! so dont use a Ouija board to try out if it hurt or not!

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

View PostMistydawn, on 30 December 2011 - 10:45 PM, said:

I would really appreciate some feedback... the pros and cons in a Spiritual context, not necessarily for health reasons.

Well if you are happy with not eating meat, and you can do it and afford it.
Then why not?

i find it always so sad to watch Crabs tied up in a aquarium.

#4    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

Are you also going to give up other animal products, seafood, and dairy ? I think if ethical considerations are the motive, you have to give up the lot. But how healthy is that ? The main problem that potentially  arises is Vitamin B 12 deficiency.

#5    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,332 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:08 AM

Sometimes I wonder if broccoli screams when you chew it.

Bear in mind that humans have carnivorous ancestors who hunted to survive.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#6    thedutchiedutch

thedutchiedutch

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

• One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain.
    Bob Marley

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:17 AM

What is your motivation if I may ask.

So do I have time for a last smoke and a pancake or what?

#7    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,249 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:50 AM

First, just on the health issue Mostof the worlds population are vegtarians. There isnt a health issue if you have a balanced vegetarian diet, but as with all health issues take medical advice Certa types of peole need more supplemets or differnt forms of vegetarian food Including young women to prevent anemia. Not all doctors are equal so seek a variety odf sdvice.

About half my family and friends are vegetarian. Some have lived so, for over 60 years (even up to 95 years of age.) Others took it up as modern teenagers for ethical/personal reasons. I have a 16 yea rold neice who will eat fish and sea food but no other meat because of relative awareness of fish oysters prawns etc versus other animals
Second are those ethical reasons. The world could not support its present population if they all atemeat as westerners do. Which makes it arguably unethicla for us to eat so much mea tjus tbecause we can. Most humans have little or no meat in teir diet.

Many dont get enough  to eat, and go hungry, but thats a problem with quantity not quality. And meat eating increases your carbon and ecological footprints greatly Meat animlas are one of the greatest producers of carbon  in terms of global warming. And to feed a person mea ttekes far more of the earths resources ncluding a lot more water , than if we ate fruit veges. etc.

If you want to "walk lightly" on our planet, then eating less or no meat, is  a good way to do so.
Finally, spiritually. It doesnt matter if you are buddhist or christian etc., eating an animal is not the most spiritual way to live. The diet of the bible is a vegetarian one for both health and spiritual reasons. it promotes good health, and thus a good body for the spirit to live in. That diet is basically fruit nuts vegetables and cereals, with lots of water. (Its not much good being vegetarian if you drink lots of soft drink/or alcohol)

Such a diet can almost eliminate heart diseases, adult onset diabetes, and many cancers. It adds about a decade  to a western life and greatly improves physiclal and often mental  fitness and capabilities .

All of this information id s scientifically proven, and can be researched to verify it.
Im an not a total vegetarian, but we eat small amounts of meat by western standards, and many days eat none at all. i know I would be both healthier and fitter if i ate no meat at all, but I just love the damn stuff. Mind you, I havent eaten  more than a dozen meals of beef or lamb all year, for a variety of reasons, and i never eat any pig meat.

Edited by Mr Walker, 31 December 2011 - 03:54 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#8    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:52 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 31 December 2011 - 03:50 AM, said:

First, just on the health issue Mostof the worlds population are vegtarians. There isnt a health issue if you have a balanced vegetarian diet, but as with all health issues take medical advice Certa types of peole need more supplemets or differnt forms of vegetarian food Including young women to prevent anemia. Not all doctors are equal so seek a variety odf sdvice.

Can you provide some numbers?  Because from where I'm standing I don't see a most of the world population being vegans.

Second are those ethical reasons. The world could not support its present population if they all atemeat as westerners do. Which makes it arguably unethicla for us to eat so much mea tjus tbecause we can. Most humans have little or no meat in teir diet.

This could be called indeed a ethical reason:  should we starve ourselves simply to accommodate people who can't deal with overpopulation.

Such a diet can almost eliminate heart diseases, adult onset diabetes, and many cancers. It adds about a decade to a western life and greatly improves physiclal and often mental fitness and capabilities .

Again could you give numbers.  From personal experience, I've noticed vegetarians and vegans have the most health problems, stressed and with less physical activities (methinking of libido in particular)(during a vegeterian experience of couple years noticed my libido going down and down and down)

All of this information id s scientifically proven, and can be researched to verify it.
Im an not a total vegetarian, but we eat small amounts of meat by western standards, and many days eat none at all. i know I would be both healthier and fitter if i ate no meat at all, but I just love the damn stuff. Mind you, I havent eaysten more than a dozen meals of beef or lamb all year, for a variety of reasons, and i never eat any pig meat.

As I always said depend who pays for the research.  When studies came out that oatmeal was good for reducing cholesterol, everyone and his brother jumped on the bandwagon, until they found out quaker oats forked the bill for the research.  In particular they forgot to mention that the reduction occurred only when eating a healthy diet.  I eat all sorts of meat, but very little beef: fish, frogs, horse (seldom) most of the time chicken and turkey.  And got to say for my age I feel real good.

Edited by Paracelse, 31 December 2011 - 06:53 AM.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#9    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:00 AM

Meat is tasty.
Vegetables are not.

#10    __R_____

__R_____

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:17 AM

I think of three things.  If you are coming from a christian perspective you have to sort out what is written as a reflection of the laws of the times and what is actually written as guidance for what you "should" eat.  Also are you interested in transubstantiation?  I only ask b/c outside of paradise lost I can't say I've ever encountered it - even as a Christian.  Actually maybe go look at that text as it is a concern of Adam's.  Finally, I know that in almost every instance you can eat fish - in a spiritual sense - so would you continue to each fish?  Leviticus mentions shellfish as being an abomination - but like i said, have to sift through all that stuff and decide what will and won't work for you.  From an atheist perspective - less meat = better health = better sense of self and clear mind.  So I'd say go for it. Its not like you're hurting anybody, worse thing that'll happen is you'll save some money on groceries.

Edited by f1gtr33, 31 December 2011 - 09:19 AM.

#11    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,543 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:50 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 30 December 2011 - 11:25 PM, said:

I cannot think of any....... I feel it is not healthy to give up meat... but in a spiritual sense.. Sorry i cannot be of help

Thanks Becky for responding. You didn't say why you think it's not healthy to give it up, but glancing through some of the other responses I expect you feel it gives a balanced diet.

View PostChinese Angel, on 30 December 2011 - 11:38 PM, said:

Well if you are happy with not eating meat, and you can do it and afford it.
Then why not?

i find it always so sad to watch Crabs tied up in a aquarium.

I guess that is the sort of response I am looking for... how it makes you feel.

Posted Image

#12    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,543 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

View PostHabitat, on 30 December 2011 - 11:51 PM, said:

Are you also going to give up other animal products, seafood, and dairy ? I think if ethical considerations are the motive, you have to give up the lot. But how healthy is that ? The main problem that potentially  arises is Vitamin B 12 deficiency.

I haven't made an absolute decision as yet Habitat on the topic. I am exploring my feelings about the whole issue of eating flesh.

Posted Image

#13    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,543 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:55 AM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 31 December 2011 - 01:08 AM, said:

Sometimes I wonder if broccoli screams when you chew it.

Bear in mind that humans have carnivorous ancestors who hunted to survive.

Good point Ron. The thing for me when people say things like remember our Ancestors did this or that, brings to mind that we are all brothers and sisters of one race and that means even those people we abhor like murderers etc, and I don't want to be like them either.

The issue with "do plants have rights too" stirs my brain into a frenzy!! I am just now, looking to explore the emotions and make the right choice rather than just continue along oblivious.

Posted Image

#14    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,543 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:58 AM

View Postthedutchiedutch, on 31 December 2011 - 02:17 AM, said:

What is your motivation if I may ask.

Well dutchie, lots of different things  but just this week I happened to switch channels of tv and came across a chef preparing a "suckling pig" I had to switch off and the image is stuck inside my head.:hmm:

Posted Image

#15    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,543 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 31 December 2011 - 03:50 AM, said:

About half my family and friends are vegetarian. Some have lived so, for over 60 years (even up to 95 years of age.) Others took it up as modern teenagers for ethical/personal reasons. I have a 16 yea rold neice who will eat fish and sea food but no other meat because of relative awareness of fish oysters prawns etc versus other animals

Many dont get enough  to eat, and go hungry, but thats a problem with quantity not quality. And meat eating increases your carbon and ecological footprints greatly Meat animlas are one of the greatest producers of carbon  in terms of global warming. And to feed a person mea ttekes far more of the earths resources ncluding a lot more water , than if we ate fruit veges. etc.

If you want to "walk lightly" on our planet, then eating less or no meat, is  a good way to do so.
Finally, spiritually. It doesnt matter if you are buddhist or christian etc., eating an animal is not the most spiritual way to live. The diet of the bible is a vegetarian one for both health and spiritual reasons. it promotes good health, and thus a good body for the spirit to live in. That diet is basically fruit nuts vegetables and cereals, with lots of water. (Its not much good being vegetarian if you drink lots of soft drink/or alcohol)

Such a diet can almost eliminate heart diseases, adult onset diabetes, and many cancers. It adds about a decade  to a western life and greatly improves physiclal and often mental  fitness and capabilities .

Im an not a total vegetarian, but we eat small amounts of meat by western standards, and many days eat none at all. i know I would be both healthier and fitter if i ate no meat at all, but I just love the damn stuff. Mind you, I havent eaten  more than a dozen meals of beef or lamb all year, for a variety of reasons, and i never eat any pig meat.

Thank you Mr Walker for your considered advise and for taking the time to respond.

I would ask though what you meant by “...the Bible is a vegetarian one..” I am not very well read when it comes to the Bible, but I always assumed it advocated eating meat “kill the fattened calf etc.”

One other thing, may I ask why you don’t eat pork?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users