Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Giving up eating meat

• Please log in to reply
448 replies to this topic

#316    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 12 February 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

When hens lay eggs they do not become their babies UNLESS the eggs are fertilized by the cockerel  or rooster......If not fertilized they remain just eggs and wind up going bad after a while... My next door neighbor  gives  us some of the eggs his hens lay too and  NO I do n't mind...  

Just like I don't mind eating meat  or other food people complain about..

My chickens run loose the hens are more content with the c*** (foghorn leghorn) yes that is his name watching out while they feed.

Thank god i'm an athiest.

Veni, vidi, Vertigo, i came i saw i couldn't get down.
Hetrodoxly.

#317    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

double post

Edited by hetrodoxly, 12 February 2012 - 09:34 PM.

Hetrodoxly.

#318    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

View Posthetrodoxly, on 12 February 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

My chickens run loose the hens are more content with the c*** (foghorn leghorn) yes that is his name watching out while they feed.

Still  when a chicken lays its eggs, if not fertilized by the male.. then  they are just eggs that will wind up going bad soon ...

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#319    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:07 PM

View PostShabd Mystic, on 12 February 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

Ya, I keep forgetting God isn't too bright. My bad.

God?  what makes you think God wrote the bible?  Do you really believe God wrote it  and even said it?  really?  WOW .

Thank goodness humans were smarter than God and therefore managed to "correct" His wording in later editions of the Bible.

I hate to break it to ya... But it was humans that wrote it in the 1st place..Posted Image..........

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 12 February 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#320    Arpee

Arpee

.::The Spirit Gives Life::.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." - 1 John 4:8

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 12 February 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

And that, my friend, is utter new-age bull.

You have no scientific proof of any of that at all.

Plants were here first, and by that I could fabricate a nice theory: plants are far more (spiritually) evolved than any animal.

Actually you are right, in general plants have a higher vibration than animals. This is true, and it's good to intake their energy. Animals on the other hand, are in general a bit lower, and humans seems to be the lowest. Though this is GENERALLY speaking...

So it's best to eat the higher vibration food.

"Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." - 1 John 4:7-8

#321    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 11 February 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

To Rhincewind:

You've been eating meat before you became a veggie.

That is the difference.

You built up a 'defence' using animal vitamins. The vitamines you got from eating meat are still in your body.

I was told a couple of times by a doctor who thought by looking at me I had so little iron in my blood.. To eat some red meat...  I do.. I love meat.. I don't eat it every day....I like a healthy balance with both meat and veg.. But see  After being tested by the doc, they saw I had iron in my blood.. I was just naturally pale...I take after my mother in that dept..  

I never care what other people eat, it is really their business.. I only care for what I eat and my family..  That is why I never could understand why so many people get their undies in a twist over who eat what food?  They should really mind their own business..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 13 February 2012 - 12:16 AM.

#322    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:15 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 12 February 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

Still  when a chicken lays its eggs, if not fertilized by the male.. then  they are just eggs that will wind up going bad soon ...

Would it make a difference if fertilized? they taste just the same.

Hetrodoxly.

#323    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:15 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 12 February 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

double post

Edited by hetrodoxly, 13 February 2012 - 05:16 AM.

Hetrodoxly.

#324    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:31 AM

View Posthetrodoxly, on 13 February 2012 - 05:15 AM, said:

Would it make a difference if fertilized? they taste just the same.

I wouldn't know.. All I know is I like to eat eggs.... I know that many farmers  including my old granddad used to farm chicken to only lay eggs to sell them and he made sure they weren't fertilized..  He only allow a certain amount get fertilized and he kept them separate, for breeding purposes only

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 13 February 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#325    Rhincewind

Rhincewind

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

I get my iron  ( levels are fine by the way) from dark leafy veg and prunes. Why don't people understand that I am perfecly healthy with no nutrient deficencies at all!!

Turning veggie has been one of the best desicions I ever made and I recommend it to anyone

I am  a geneticly engineared lab mouse bent on taking over the world

#326    Amy the Mighty

Amy the Mighty

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

If you're contemplating vegetarianism, it's usually easier to try integrating only one or two vegetarian meals into your week to start with. This helps your palate to adapt, and allows you to master a few new recipes in a gradual way. I found when I went vegetarian, the biggest hurdle was letting my body, and my palate, learn to feel completely satisfied by a meal that doesn't contain meat. If you've eaten meat your whole life, your palate feels cheated if you only have chickpeas or beans in your dinner.

Indian and Thai curries are great foundational vegetarian meals. If you throw chickpeas, or garden peas into a curry sauce, that's your protein needs met. You can thicken up an Indian style curry sauce with plain (sour) yoghurt and red lentils. Red lentils cook down to a soft, pastey texture, which binds the sauce together. You can make shepherds pie by substituting green lentils with the onion and peas. Felafel are like little chickpea rissoles, and you can use them in sandwiches and in salads the next day.

Changing your diet in this way, regardless of whether it's for health or ethical reasons, is much easier to manage if you approach it in a gradual way. You might find that a purely vegetarian diet leaves you anaemic or fatigued. If it does, you might decide that it's not the right path for you. I don't believe that you would jeopardise your health by just integrating a couple of vegetarian meals into your repertoire every so often.

I was a vegetarian for about 8 years. Nowadays, if people serve me meat, I eat it, but I don't usually eat meat in my own home.

#327    Shabd Mystic

Shabd Mystic

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

• "Religion is to mysticism what popularization is to science." ~ Henri Bergson

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 12 February 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

God?  what makes you think God wrote the bible?  Do you really believe God wrote it  and even said it?  really?  WOW .

I hate to break it to ya... But it was humans that wrote it in the 1st place..Posted Image..........

"I hate to break it to ya," but the passage in the Bible that we are discussing "supposedly" quotes God directly.  ;)

If you are going to try to claim it "was supposed to be" something other than it said, then you are claiming the "human" who supposedly quoted God, misquoted Him.

So, it seems you don't like what they claim God said so you are trying to tell us "what He really said."

It's pretty weak to come here trying to correct people about what the Bible "meant" that God was supposedly saying, and then when YOUR interpretation is taken to task, resort to saying "it was written by humans so it doesn't even matter."  :P

If it doesn't matter, then why didn't you take that position to begin with?

And, by the way, I'm not a Christian. I'm just very interested in the Bible and all sorts of spiritual texts of many religions. I'm interested in what it says and even more in how it came to say it. More importantly, what it said in its earliest editions. I'm not a Bible "follower. I'm more of a Biblical scholar.

I know, very well, the history of how the Bible was written and know "God" didn't write it, or even "inspire" it to be written the way it was (or any of the hundreds of ways it was). So your attempt to make me look foolish with you response fails miserably.

If you ever care to get back to you original point, that the Bible means "though shalt not commit murder," instead of trying to portray me as a fool, I'll be happy to respond.

For your edification, here are a few different Bibles and how they "quote God." Since you know better than all the ones that say "though shalt not kill," perhaps you should correct them instead of me. ;)

19 for "kill" and 11 for "murder."

Coverdale  - Thou shalt not kill.
MSTC  - Thou shalt not kill.
Geneva  - Thou shalt not kill.
Bishops  - Thou shalt not slay
DouayRheims  - Thou shalt not kill.
KJV  - Thou shalt not kill.
KJV_Cambridge  - Thou shalt not kill.
KJV_Strongs   -  Thou shalt not kill.
Webster  - Thou shalt not kill.
Webster_Strongs  - Thou shalt not kill.
Brenton  - Thou shalt not commit murder.
Leeser  - Thou shalt not kill.
YLT  - Thou dost not murder.
JuliaSmith  - Thou shalt not kill.
Darby  - Thou shalt not kill.
ERV  - Thou shalt do no murder.
ASV  - Thou shalt not kill.
ASV_Strongs  - Thou shalt not kill.
JPS_ASV_Byz  - Thou shalt not murder.
Rotherham  - Thou shalt not commit murder.
CLV  - You shall not murder.
BBE  - Do not put anyone to death without cause.
MKJV  - You shall not kill.
LITV  - You shall not commit murder.
ECB  - Murder not.
ACV  - Thou shall not murder.
WEB  - You shall not murder.
NHEB  -  You shall not murder.
AKJV  - You shall not kill.
KJ2000  - You shall not kill.
UKJV  - You shall not kill.

#328    Shabd Mystic

Shabd Mystic

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

View Postglorybebe, on 12 February 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

I truly beleive that humans need to eat meat, as we have developed for thousands of years eating it.  You can't just change a diet that the humans have been folowing for thousands of years and not expect there to be health consequences.

Oh, there will definitely be health consequences, most notably in a drastic decline of many forms of cancer as well as a rise in average life spans.

#329    Shabd Mystic

Shabd Mystic

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

View Postealdwita, on 12 February 2012 - 08:34 PM, said:

I believe Butchers are liars! The one in our village has the sign 'J.Compton and Son - Family Butchers' in big letters over his shop window. I took my family down there yesterday, and he flatly refused! Can't trust anybody these days.

LOL. I think you might be able to turn that into a big pay day if you sue them for false advertising.  :P

#330    Shabd Mystic

Shabd Mystic

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

View PostMistydawn, on 12 February 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

Shabd, after I managed to stop laughing…. I had to nod in agreement with you in that one Gods law and another can be altered or re-evaluated or just plain changed, but basically the way it is understood and stands at present, seems to state that killing, (no further expounding on who/what/where/when) is therefore wrong and against Gods law.

That's true. I find it hilarious that the humans who wanted to justify the "death penalty" and "killing animals for food" suddenly start to claim what God ACTUALLY said to Moses was "thou shalt not commit murder."

Since "murder" basically means, "a crime of unlawfully killing a person, especially with malice aforethought," they are now trying to claim that God was speaking in "legal" terminology. Terminology that is constantly redefined in all sorts of ways according to the era or country or countless other things.

Since it's "legal" even today in certain countries to stone to death a woman who loses her virginity before marriage, then God is saying "that's cool" in those countries, but if you do the same thing in America you are going to hell!  :lol:

If God wanted to limit that to "human beings" he would have told Moses that "though shalt not kill human beings." And if He wanted that only to apply to specific cases, he would have added an asterisk with all sorts of exceptions to His "law."

I'm not arguing whether the story of Moses and the 10 commandments is even true. I'm only talking about the people who claim to "believe," and to believe in the Bible. For those who do believe the Bible, and who still want to eat meat, they have to come up with a way to "justify" what they want to do. And the only way they can do that is the way many Bibles tried to do that, by changing "kill" to "murder" even though the idea that God would ever use a "legal" term that has changed thousands of times over the years, is beyond ludicrous.

If someone wants to say, "there is no God," or "I don't believe in the Bible as I'm not Christian" (though many other religions are vegetarian), then I won't get into "Biblical quotes" with them. I'm talking about this only in reference to those trying to claim they are Christians but who only follow the "rules" they agree with, or that have been rewritten so they match what they want to believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users