Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

France’s Beast of Gévaudan

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

io9.com said:

Records claim that the Beast of Gévaudan attacked at least 162 humans and killed 113 around a small town in the South of France 1764 to 1767.

Posted Image Read more...

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,824 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

Think it was a very large rare wolf or group of them, think they killed them all but it wasn't a were-wolf.

#3    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

View PostErix, on 04 January 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

Think it was a very large rare wolf or group of them, think they killed them all but it wasn't a were-wolf.
No one knows really what it was.  Yet it must have left an incredible impact because the king Louis the XVth send troupes

On September 21, 1765, Antoine killed a large grey wolf measuring 80 centimetres (31 in) high, 1.7 metres (5.6 ft) long, and weighing 60 kilograms (130 lb). The wolf was called Le Loup de Chazes, after the nearby Abbaye des Chazes

This is from wiki

Apparently there was a second beast killed

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#4    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

I didnt hear before about it and even movie is created upon this story.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0237534/

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#5    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostParacelse, on 04 January 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

No one knows really what it was.  Yet it must have left an incredible impact because the king Louis the XVth send troupes

This is from wiki

Apparently there was a second beast killed
Hey Paracelse are you near by? Any similar stories from Grandpa and Grandma ?  B)

#6    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:32 AM

View PostMelo, on 04 January 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

Hey Paracelse are you near by? Any similar stories from Grandpa and Grandma ?  B)
My Dad is an American of Polish ancestry and my mother was born in Poland... I live now in Lorraine about 450 miles from the Gevaudan.  Sorry.  
Problem is, this story happen right prior to the French revolution.  In those days records were kept by the church and during the revolution much of those documents have been destroyed.  We know the most about the Beast from documents found in Paris.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6

#7    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,090 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

Monstertalk did a great episode on the Beast back in September.

It's worth a listen:  http://www.skeptic.com/podcasts/monstertalk/11/09/21/

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#8    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:24 AM

View PostRafterman, on 05 January 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

Monstertalk did a great episode on the Beast back in September.

It's worth a listen:  http://www.skeptic.com/podcasts/monstertalk/11/09/21/
Thanks the link Raft, I will listen to it later.  I looked up the links on the man eating wolfs of Soissons and Sarlat (the Paris link doesn't work) and I found an intersting connection:  the Soissons (Fairly large city East of Paris) case occurred in 1765 and the Sarlat (not really far from Gevaudan) case occurred in 1766.  Knowing the period of attack by the beast of Gevaudan is during those years also.  It would be interesting to know if more bizarre wolves like beast attacked elsewhere in the EU?  Technically wolves are pack animals except those 3.

République No.6

#9    Supernatural Reporter

Supernatural Reporter

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:53 AM

Wolves sometimes get kicked out of the pack and have to fend for themselves, so that could of what happened but most wolves who are by themselves get killed by other packs

#10    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:31 AM

View PostSupernatural Reporter, on 06 January 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

Wolves sometimes get kicked out of the pack and have to fend for themselves, so that could of what happened but most wolves who are by themselves get killed by other packs
It was what I thought but I can't shake a strange feeling about 4 wolves appearing in fairly separate regions of France during the same period (2 extraordinary wolves were killed in Gevaudan) between 1764 and 1767:  1st wolf in Gevaudan killed in 1765.  Then the wolf of Soissons also killed in 1765.  3rd the wolf of Sarlat killed 1766.  4th wolf killed in Gevaudan in 1767.

République No.6

#11    Supernatural Reporter

Supernatural Reporter

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

View PostParacelse, on 06 January 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

It was what I thought but I can't shake a strange feeling about 4 wolves appearing in fairly separate regions of France during the same period (2 extraordinary wolves were killed in Gevaudan) between 1764 and 1767:  1st wolf in Gevaudan killed in 1765.  Then the wolf of Soissons also killed in 1765.  3rd the wolf of Sarlat killed 1766.  4th wolf killed in Gevaudan in 1767.

EDIT: I read that wrong sorry, so all of them killed within 3 years?

Edited by Supernatural Reporter, 06 January 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#12    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

View PostSupernatural Reporter, on 06 January 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

EDIT: I read that wrong sorry, so all of them killed within 3 years?
Yes they were

République No.6

#13    Supernatural Reporter

Supernatural Reporter

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

View PostParacelse, on 06 January 2012 - 11:31 AM, said:

Yes they were

Not saying it's any creature but it isn't normal either

#14    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,090 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

View PostParacelse, on 06 January 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

Thanks the link Raft, I will listen to it later.  I looked up the links on the man eating wolfs of Soissons and Sarlat (the Paris link doesn't work) and I found an intersting connection:  the Soissons (Fairly large city East of Paris) case occurred in 1765 and the Sarlat (not really far from Gevaudan) case occurred in 1766.  Knowing the period of attack by the beast of Gevaudan is during those years also.  It would be interesting to know if more bizarre wolves like beast attacked elsewhere in the EU?  Technically wolves are pack animals except those 3.

As I learned from the podcast, wolf predation on humans was fairly common in Europe during that time.  Hundreds of people a year were killed by wolves.

Apparently some wolves just had better press agents than others.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#15    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostRafterman, on 06 January 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

As I learned from the podcast, wolf predation on humans was fairly common in Europe during that time.  Hundreds of people a year were killed by wolves.

Apparently some wolves just had better press agents than others.
'Cept that those particular wolves were known to be heckofalot bigger than the normally one found in nature, thus the strangeness of the situation... remember a king such as louis the XVth who didn't give a cahoot about the peasants actually send some troupes.

République No.6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users