Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Every star has planets, new study suggests

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,006 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

www.bbc.co.uk said:

Every star twinkling in the night sky plays host to at least one planet, a new study suggests.

That implies there are some 10 billion Earth-sized planets in our galaxy.

Using a technique called gravitational microlensing, an international team found a handful of exoplanets that imply the existence of billions more.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

IMO I doubt every star has a planet like those in our solar system.
If they use some loose definition of 'planet' it might well be true.

Posted Image

#3    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

a paid-up member of the “tin foil hat brigade”

• 24,421 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostTimonthy, on 12 January 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

IMO I doubt every star has a planet like those in our solar system.
If they use some loose definition of 'planet' it might well be true.
What sort of definition did you have in mind? There's a whole range of kinds of Planet in our own solar system; small rocky ones, gas giants, ones that are made of liquid methane & so on.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#4    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,431 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

If for example 1 in 10000 planets could sustain life,there would be a lot of life about,but we are hardly likely to hear from them as the distances are so vast,and it would depend on how advanced they are.We are still babies in this field as radio has just been discovered about 100 years ago.

#5    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

a paid-up member of the “tin foil hat brigade”

• 24,421 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

Is there any agreed theory on how the star Sol acquired as many planets as it did? And does anyone try to insist that it must be very special and unique, and if they do, what grounds do they base this assertion on? Is it not quite likely based on mere probability alone that similar systems might actually have developed around the great majority of Stars?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#6    David Thomson

David Thomson

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

It should be a no-brainer that all stars have planets.  Stars form either from remnants of supernovas or from accretion of dust.  Of course there will be planetary bodies forming in orbits around stars.  The anomaly would be the absence of planets.

#7    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,760 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

View Post747400, on 12 January 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

What sort of definition did you have in mind? There's a whole range of kinds of Planet in our own solar system; small rocky ones, gas giants, ones that are made of liquid methane & so on.
Comets/ asteroids/dwarf planets etc. Those other than what make up the 'obvious' planets in our solar system.

Posted Image

#8    marcos anthony toledo

marcos anthony toledo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:40 PM

So now it is official our solar system is not rare. All stars seem to have planets increasing the chances of finding habitable planets. Get news for our chances of finding intelligent life what a wonderful time to be alive.

#9    Xanthurion2

Xanthurion2

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

• Valar morghulis

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:17 AM

if that is true then there can be no doubt we are not alone in the universe

#10    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,966 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:33 PM

This is an absolutely mind-blowing dfiscovery!

That is, obviously, people have long hypothesized the "what if" concerning how many planets might be out there, but this is very close to confirmation of our wildest dreams.
That being said:

View Postvolantis, on 12 January 2012 - 06:04 PM, said:

It should be a no-brainer that all stars have planets.  Stars form either from remnants of supernovas or from accretion of dust.  Of course there will be planetary bodies forming in orbits around stars.  The anomaly would be the absence of planets.

It should be pointed out that, last I checked, no solution to the "three body problem" has been found.  This problem is why it wasn't a "no-brainer."

The three-body problem is the apparent inability of our mathematics to describe stable orbits for anything other than a single massive body with orbiting bodies whose mass is inconsequential with respect to the larger body.

I don't know about these days, but (again, last I checked) it was once thought that the majority of star systems in the galaxy contained more than one star.  No solution had been found for even a single stable orbit in a binary system (three-bodies.)

My knowledge of this dates to the 1970's, so maybe this has been resolved.

But the above is the reason it wasn't exactly a "no brainer" that every system likely has planets.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#11    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

View Postvolantis, on 12 January 2012 - 06:04 PM, said:

I agree :)

#12    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

Of course the universe is full of life. People deduced that a long time ago. And still others have seen and even met these 'others'. But I guess some people still need their video footage and photos [which they will still doubt].

#13    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,224 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

View PostDevice, on 13 January 2012 - 10:11 PM, said:

Of course the universe is full of life. People deduced that a long time ago. And still others have seen and even met these 'others'. But I guess some people still need their video footage and photos [which they will still doubt].

What people might that be? Certainly not scientists. They have deduced they the Universe might be full of life - or might not. We just don't know.

These 'others' certainly require evidence.  Just a little more than a hundred years ago people believed in elves, gnomes and fairies. We even had photographic 'evidence' of the latter. So yeah, you are damn right we need evidence. Irrefutable evidence, not the questionable stuff that can be interpreted in numerous ways or not at all (not to mention all the fake stuff).

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#14    kaptn k

kaptn k

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:02 AM

I've thought for a long time that all stars had planets revolving them. I also believe that the fact that there are billions(?) of stars in our universe that our Earth can't possibly be the only planet sustaing intelligent life. The odds are in favor of other life. Will we today ever meet them, most likely not. Will humans ever meet them (if we haven't already) only time will tell. Well that, and if we don't exstinguish our species with nuclear war before it could happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users