Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The MacKenzie Poltergeist

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: sxc.hu</strong>
Image credit: sxc.hu
Matt Forde: In December of 1998, a homeless man wandered through Edinburgh’s storm-lashed streets. Seeking shelter from the night’s downpour he staggered into Greyfriars Kirkyard and broke into one of the old mausoleums in the Covenanter’s Prison section—no doubt attracted by its intact roof. Inside, the vault was pitch-black and the brave (or foolhardy) vagrant decided to explore his surroundings with what meagre light he possessed. He removed an iron grate in the floor and descended a short, twisting, stone staircase and entered a second chamber. There, he came across four wooden coffins. Perhaps looking for valuables to steal, the man began to smash open the dusty caskets.

Posted Image View: Full Article

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Xanthurion2

Xanthurion2

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

• Valar morghulis

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:54 AM

that is a great story very spooky. i would like to go check the place out

SRS

#3    Blueguardian

Blueguardian

Poltergeist

• 2,248 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:09 AM

View PostXanthurion2, on 16 January 2012 - 01:54 AM, said:

that is a great story very spooky. i would like to go check the place out

Me too, I'd be taking all the precautions I could though before going in whether it means praying to whatever faith you believe in for protection or even envisioning yourself in a white light, whatever it takes to lessen the chance of being attacked, or worse having someone you care about being hurt, nonetheless the activity seems almost demonic in nature.

Posted Image

(((Just My $00.2 cents)))

#4    Xanthurion2

Xanthurion2

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

• Valar morghulis

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:19 PM

yes definitely

SRS

#5    Time Turner

Time Turner

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

I love stories like this. Spooky, dark and intriguing  ^_^

"Yes, I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight,
and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." - Oscar Wilde

#6    ladygrim

ladygrim

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 155 posts

• one day ill make it ;)

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

i came across this place by accident when i was in Edinburgh i visited the grey friars grave and took a walk around the graveyard and there's a whole section locked up it looks eerie i would like to visit there at night :) i Googled it when i got home and was fascinated with it it really is creepy.

One day ill make it to the place dreams can only take me for now

#7    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,933 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

I have the book mentioned in the article and written by Jan-Andrew Henderson. It's a fantastic read about how Mr Henderson started the tour company and is interspersed with letters sent to him by people who took the tour and had an experience while on the tour or shortly thereafter. He also covers a possible explanation as to what's really happening to people when they believe they're being attacked by a ghost.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#8    rassy

rassy

Stealth Ninja »«

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

• perception is not my reality

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

So, if the security guard didn't know what he saw was the vagrant, and the vagrant was never seen or heard of again, then how do we know of the vagrant at all?

Check out my new Website!

Posted Image

#9    devilmaycare

devilmaycare

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:10 AM

What's the difference between a homeless man wandering through a graveyard and a corpse coming back to life?

MacKenzie's Tomb (very good question however-lol)

Edited by devilmaycare, 24 January 2012 - 05:11 AM.

If you have nothing you would die for, then you also have nothing to live for.

"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority. By definition, there are already enough people to do that." G. H. Hardy

#10    Scotty the Paperman

Scotty the Paperman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

• I want to believe......I also want nachos.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

Fantastic read. Well written and compelling. Next time  I'm in the area I'll most certainly be stopping by

#11    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,311 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:29 AM

View Postrassy, on 17 January 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

So, if the security guard didn't know what he saw was the vagrant, and the vagrant was never seen or heard of again, then how do we know of the vagrant at all?
Good point...and how did he know he began to smash open some of the caskets. Did the security guard maybe hear him and later they pieced together pieces of the puzzle? Like someone saw the vagrant go in and they later pieced it together? Anyway, good thinking.

Edited by Gummug, 02 May 2012 - 02:40 AM.

Posted Image

#12    HollyDolly

HollyDolly

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

Could be the security guard heard the noises coming from the tomb.Later , the people this guard worked for could have checked out the tomb, and then discovered the smashed coffins.probably looking for old jewelery to sell.It may be that when he broke into the third chamber, that caused the haunting, rather than it was Bluidy mackenzie himself haunting the area and causing havoc.Don't know, and I have no desire to go on such a tour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users