Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

High-tech bid to save ancient language

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,020 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

www.abc.net.au said:

Researchers are developing a mobile phone application in an effort to help save an ancient Aboriginal language that is close to being lost forever.

The language of Iwaidja is thousands of years old but on Croker Island in the Top End only about 150 people still speak it.

Iwaidja is one of about 50 known Aboriginal languages of Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory.

Bruce Birch from the Minjilang Endangered Languages Project has been working with locals to try to save it.

"It is one of Australia's hundred or so highly endangered languages," he said.

Using $100,000 of federal funding, a mobile phone application is being developed.

It will have 1,000 dictionary entries and almost 500 phrases.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Arawyn

Arawyn

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 99 posts

• "Insanity is like gravity. All it takes is a little push" - The Joker

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

IPHONE TO THE RESCUE! Saving languages in distress!

#3    TheSpoonyOne

TheSpoonyOne

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

Languages survive based on how well the people who speak them adapt and how important they make themselves on the world stage, Mandarin is becoming a widely spoken language around the world because of its growing importance, at the same time Latin is no longer widely spoken because the Roman Empire diminished in importance, so seeing as I've never heard of Iwaidja, it clearly isn't important enough to be worth a massive effort to maintain. If the people who spoke it had spent the last few centuries building up a nation like Australia then maybe it would an important language, they didn't, so that's their bad luck.

On a side note...that old guy in the middle is sporting a ridiculously well toned body for his age!! Way to go old man!

Edited by TheSpoonyOne, 19 January 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#4    reggie2011

reggie2011

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• creator/webmaster/owner
    mystery documentaries.com

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:27 AM

thats not true at all im an aussie and theres alot more people speaking it than 150 hahahaha lmao thats funny

#5    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,929 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

Arawyn, an iPhone would be very useful on a walkabout. I wonder if Siri understands Iwaidja?;)

Edit: Added a winky smiley

Edited by Junior Chubb, 20 January 2012 - 11:30 PM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#6    encouraged

encouraged

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostTheSpoonyOne, on 19 January 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

Languages survive based on how well the people who speak them adapt and how important they make themselves on the world stage, Mandarin is becoming a widely spoken language around the world because of its growing importance, at the same time Latin is no longer widely spoken because the Roman Empire diminished in importance, so seeing as I've never heard of Iwaidja, it clearly isn't important enough to be worth a massive effort to maintain. If the people who spoke it had spent the last few centuries building up a nation like Australia then maybe it would an important language, they didn't, so that's their bad luck.

On a side note...that old guy in the middle is sporting a ridiculously well toned body for his age!! Way to go old man!
I would imagine out of the 7256 or so languages of the world, there are heaps of them you have never heard of! Interesting value system! If you haven't heard of it, it must not be important.

View: Ethnologue

There are lots of reason for populations to diminish. One is ethnocentric westerners taking over the lands of a people who have no generational buildup of immunity to things like German measles, small pox, scarlet fever... Then there is just the wholesale slaughter of them so they won't be a problem while the land is being stolen from them. How about that old man?

[attachment=63392:1058180657530.jpg]

Edited by encouraged, 21 January 2012 - 03:39 PM.

#7    Avanter

Avanter

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

it can has a great success in Spain, where they keep some ancient, death, and inner country languages such a vasco, catalan, gallego, bable, murciano, valenciano, mallorquin, silbo, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users