Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Has any "Evidence" Baffled Real Scientists?

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#31    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,214 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:04 AM

View PostCakeOrDeath, on 17 January 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

This forum is such an excellent resource.  I've been reading for years and my personal beliefs have actually shifted thanks to contributors.

People like Sakari, Mulder etc. have really helped me think more critically about things around me. My question then is this, are there any cases or

evidence that have truly baffled those in the scientific community?  I've seen some really interesting topics on various incidents in the UFO forums,

but nothing of that nature in the paranormal area.

This seems odd to me, because there are so many reports of supernatural activity and so many believers, you would think there would be a plethora of

evidence to look at.

I don't know how I missed this.....

As for Hauntings, Exorcisms, Poltergeists ( oh wait )......No.Science is not involved with EVP,s , Ghost Box's, etc....There has not been any evidence at all even close to strong enough to get a University, or Private sector to push in loads of money and time to research.....There have been other sides of this, in the psychology side of it.

Now, some will say there are a " few " places that offer classes into these things, I believe there are a few.None of them offer anything as in credits towards a PHD.

Ok, the Poltergeist thing.......I have a topic somewhere here about the movie " The Entity "......It was based on a true story.

In that topic ( it died ) I started to find some things, such as UCLA was involved, and I forget most of it.It all was a dead end for me......Let me find the topic.

Read through this one, it is the closest I could find to a actual Science investigation.....Key word being " closest ".

http://www.unexplain...pic=190580&st=0

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#32    CakeOrDeath

CakeOrDeath

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• The Proof is in the "peeas nuhhh burder"

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

View PostSakari, on 06 February 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

I don't know how I missed this.....

As for Hauntings, Exorcisms, Poltergeists ( oh wait )......No.Science is not involved with EVP,s , Ghost Box's, etc....There has not been any evidence at all even close to strong enough to get a University, or Private sector to push in loads of money and time to research.....There have been other sides of this, in the psychology side of it.

Now, some will say there are a " few " places that offer classes into these things, I believe there are a few.None of them offer anything as in credits towards a PHD.

Ok, the Poltergeist thing.......I have a topic somewhere here about the movie " The Entity "......It was based on a true story.

In that topic ( it died ) I started to find some things, such as UCLA was involved, and I forget most of it.It all was a dead end for me......Let me find the topic.

Read through this one, it is the closest I could find to a actual Science investigation.....Key word being " closest ".

http://www.unexplain...pic=190580&st=0

Thanks for the response and link Sakari.  I currently fall into the skeptic side of the sandbox, but I do like looking at the various cases (ufo stuff mainly) that can't be immediately dismissed. Alot of the interesting UFO ones usually point toward slightly archaic/unreliable tech (old radar with odd returns) or even turn out to be natural phenomena that we discover later. (plasma, sprites etc.) But it's still interesting.

The paranormal stuff always has great "stories" from individuals and personal accounts, but not much in the way of investigated cases like UFOs. At least there actually was "project blue book."  

Off topic and sorry if rambling, but how did "ghost hunters" decide what scientific instruments would some how indicate ghostly presences?  I find this trend to be super silly, I'd bet more than half of the "professional hunters" don't even know what the hardware is actually used for and what the readings mean.

What time is it? "peeas nuh burder" and Jelly time!

#33    CakeOrDeath

CakeOrDeath

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

Wow finally!

I just finished the entity threads.  I am going to read that research journal if the link is still good.  I do question the one female doctor from UCLA she had quite the past leading up to that ponit.  But Dr. Taff seemed pretty legit.

So, did you find something out through your investigating that made you "close the book" on this one or is it still puzzling?

This is by far the most interesting case I have heard about. Thanks for pointing it out.

#34    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,214 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:50 AM

View PostCakeOrDeath, on 06 February 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

Wow finally!

I just finished the entity threads.  I am going to read that research journal if the link is still good.  I do question the one female doctor from UCLA she had quite the past leading up to that ponit.  But Dr. Taff seemed pretty legit.

So, did you find something out through your investigating that made you "close the book" on this one or is it still puzzling?

This is by far the most interesting case I have heard about. Thanks for pointing it out.

I really could not find anything else out, I even emailed UCLA ( forget what department ) and no response......I kind of put it aside and found other things I guess......I still think about though.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#35    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:46 AM

That's a negative.

#36    CakeOrDeath

CakeOrDeath

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:09 AM

View PostAlienated Being, on 07 February 2012 - 04:46 AM, said:

That's a negative.

That's pretty wild.  That case is the perfect example of what I meant when I said, "you'd think there would be more like it."  Not necessarily
proof positive, but more intriguing cases like this one, that get looked into by atleast somewhat legitimate investigators.

#37    Leftcoastgal

Leftcoastgal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 104 posts

• "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" H.S. Thompson
    Avatar: The Comet Kid by Bob Sacha

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

View PostHabitat, on 21 January 2012 - 12:32 AM, said:

... Secondly the observation about the camera, if you are truly transfixed, as you would be by something altogether other, you don't avert your eyes from it.

Hi there... new to the UM board and wanted to comment.  Right you are Habitat.  I want to confirm a point here... on the paranormal experiences I believe I've had. The first one sent me running, literally, in fear, for something like 1/4 mile before I stopped to get ahold of myself. Took me months to shake it too, I was creeped out for a long time afterwards.  Later, years in fact,  I'd had others that glued me to the spot I stood, eyes agape, heart pounding. I swear it's the same thing a deer in a headlight must experience. When I could think again, and it took awhile, I began making deals with "it" about not harming me. I have no explanations for the experiences.  Although they did send me off on a reading and research binge, only to leave me months and months later simply accepting what I'd seen and not gleaning any solid truth about it other than that's what I saw. I'm a believer today though.  Favoring interdimensional & ultraterrestrial theories.   Am enjoying the UM board ppl, thanks for the stuff you're sharing and critiquing and humoring.  I'm always interested in those who staunchly do NOT believe, or rely heavily on science as we know it today (what is shared with us) I am so curious about why non-believers stay on forums like this for years and years.  Somethings up with that, yeah?  Leftcoastgal

#38    CakeOrDeath

CakeOrDeath

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostLeftcoastgal, on 10 February 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

Hi there... new to the UM board and wanted to comment.  Right you are Habitat.  I want to confirm a point here... on the paranormal experiences I believe I've had. The first one sent me running, literally, in fear, for something like 1/4 mile before I stopped to get ahold of myself. Took me months to shake it too, I was creeped out for a long time afterwards.  Later, years in fact,  I'd had others that glued me to the spot I stood, eyes agape, heart pounding. I swear it's the same thing a deer in a headlight must experience. When I could think again, and it took awhile, I began making deals with "it" about not harming me. I have no explanations for the experiences.  Although they did send me off on a reading and research binge, only to leave me months and months later simply accepting what I'd seen and not gleaning any solid truth about it other than that's what I saw. I'm a believer today though.  Favoring interdimensional & ultraterrestrial theories.   Am enjoying the UM board ppl, thanks for the stuff you're sharing and critiquing and humoring.  I'm always interested in those who staunchly do NOT believe, or rely heavily on science as we know it today (what is shared with us) I am so curious about why non-believers stay on forums like this for years and years.  Somethings up with that, yeah?  Leftcoastgal

Nothing at all up with that.  I don't even consider myself a non-believer.  I am "looking" for that case that confirms or atleast produces a testable theory in relation to the phenomena.

I actually believe "paranormal" experiences to often be the result of enviormental impact on our brains from various sources.  I am not a scientist, and actually not all that bright, so my ideas don't even constitute theory.  But my hope is that "real" science will scoff less at the tall tales and look for things behind them.  You can quote me on the fact that I think Geology will someday lead to more "ghost discovery" than parapsychology.

#39    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,214 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostLeftcoastgal, on 10 February 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

That has been asked and answered numerous times here, in many ways, but all close to the same.......And welcome to UM.

I am opposite, but also answers your question......I am fasciniated by how people can have blind faith, and believe stories with out any doubt....It really is the ignorance that I used to also have that I can not figure out. ... ( and that is not a bad word, or a flame )Almost like the movie about the world with no lying. ( forgot the name of it ).

I also like to help people, and believe it or not, I have helped quite a few people that thought they had something paranormal going on find the true answer, and they were relieved, and thanked me.....I enjoy that a lot.

I am going to work or I would link you to answer your question to a few threads, maybe tomorrow, doing a 12 hour shift, and it is a hour drive to work one way :(

Anyway, wouldn't it be kind of boring if skeptics were not allowed to be in the discussions?

Also, 99.95 of skeptics used to be " believers ", and I am one of the 99.9% ........So, I can say I am open minded, and have walked in both shoes.........

Edited by Sakari, 10 February 2012 - 09:29 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#40    Judeaous

Judeaous

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 186 posts

• Your mind will never "play tricks" on you. Ghosts will....

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:29 AM

Baffeled science, lol, st, Johns Dance, St. Vitu's dance and
Tarantism!!!  Aka dancing mania also the dance of the dead!!!!   How does science explain a documented tens of thousands of people dancing in the street for weeks, until they dropped dead.  Crowds of tough guys would garther to
Beat the dancers till they stopped, claiming relief from the beatings!!!  If that's not a clear case of spiritual attack, what is!!!   Science cannot determine what caused it, just guessed.

Today's paranormal researchers err....by clinging to the skirts of science, who's naturalistic viewpoint CAN NEVER allow for the bearing of any fruit.
Not unlike studying the fundamentals of American Democracy, by referencing MEIN KOMPF.

#41    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,214 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

View PostJudeaous, on 12 February 2012 - 01:29 AM, said:

Tarantism!!!  Aka dancing mania also the dance of the dead!!!!   How does science explain a documented tens of thousands of people dancing in the street for weeks, until they dropped dead.  Crowds of tough guys would garther to
Beat the dancers till they stopped, claiming relief from the beatings!!!  If that's not a clear case of spiritual attack, what is!!!   Science cannot determine what caused it, just guessed.

Strange, all of a sudden ( after I replied in a topic you started, and mind you, I am not involved in anymore ) it seems you are replying on every topic I reply in, or start.....hmmmm

coincidence?

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#42    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,125 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

View PostJudeaous, on 12 February 2012 - 01:29 AM, said:

Judeaous, in what way is religious fervour so difficult for you to understand?  Given you are possibly the most 'religious' Pareidolian I have ever seen, I would have thought that such behaviour would be quite understandable. :P

Science doesn't EVER claim to have all the answers, and I don't think it's any surprise that it doesn't even try to completely analyse and reconcile the human mind, emotions and the interplay with intense belief and spirituality.  I don't regard myself as spiritual at all, yet there are plenty of causes and people I would be willing to give my life up for.  I'm no martyr and am seriously not trying to pretend I'm a hero, but I do believe in the greater good (and I've had a pretty good run to now anyway!).

Do you not have such causes/loves/beliefs in your life?  If not, I feel sorry for you.

If you do, then can you tell me in what way you expect science to explain/measure/analyse your passion in an objective fashion?

Science knows its limitations..  It is only those who don't understand it (or hate it, for one of a myriad of reasons) that complain about it not being able to explain stuff, and then denigrate it.

___
All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

#43    Judeaous

Judeaous

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 186 posts

• Your mind will never "play tricks" on you. Ghosts will....

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

Well Chrisz, I've never read anywhere that st. Johns dance, st. Vitu's dance or Tarentism had anything to do with religion.  Although some dancers screamed out demonic things, I heard but as far as I'm aware not religion.  I'm sorry I missed that one on the message boards back then.  
Sukari!!!  You wrote to me::

"""Strange, all of a sudden ( after I replied in a topic you started, and mind you, I am not involved in anymore ) it seems you are replying on every topic I reply in, or start.....hmmmm
coincidence?""""""

I read that, and..... Have you ever seen Jerry Seinfeld  put on the surprised face with the mouth open, smiling!!..... That was me after reading that........  Sukari!!  Recognizing that kind of coincidence has the earmarks for paranoid thinking my man!!  If it eases your conscience, I'll try and refrain from topics you post...  I reply to a subject that interests me, I don't pay attention to "who wrote 
It".....  EEEK!!    

Today's paranormal researchers err....by clinging to the skirts of science, who's naturalistic viewpoint CAN NEVER allow for the bearing of any fruit.
Not unlike studying the fundamentals of American Democracy, by referencing MEIN KOMPF.

#44    Leftcoastgal

Leftcoastgal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

View PostCakeOrDeath, on 10 February 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

Nothing at all up with that.  I don't even consider myself a non-believer.  I am "looking" for that case that confirms or atleast produces a testable theory in relation to the phenomena.

...You can quote me on the fact that I think Geology will someday lead to more "ghost discovery" than parapsychology.

Hi CakeorDeath - fun handle there, one day I'd like to hear your story on arriving on this for your forum name, I'm sure it's fun!
Anyway... given 'paranormal' translates to nothing more than "not scientifically explainable" ~Webster, but parapsychology translates more to psychic talents, like clairavoyants, etc.  There has been plenty of study with respect to these psychic abilities, alot of them sponsored by the U.S. Gov, as well as Russia, who  has invested more than the U.S. in this kind of research.   so they are really different and specific things in the breakdown.

So... until such time as science is able confirm in some form of measurement that proves .... gosh, what could it prove with respect to a ghost.. maybe only the energy emanating from the apparition is measurable, like with the thermal lens they are using these days, (looking for Bigfoot, etc.)  Oh, or the one case of Ghost Hunters where their thermal imager produced the heat signature of a man... here's the link to it in fact. This was interesting as it WAS tested and of course, the standard issue "cannot be explained" was subsequently applied to it.

Take a look at this one. Forward to the 7:42 minute mark to see the image I'm referring to.  http://youtu.be/ciHf4WXKY4E
I will have to search for the article I read about the testing that this film underwent after the fact to determine it was not a faked image or what have you.  This was a pretty good one.  Of particular note is the fact that none of the Ghost Hunter people had a clue, no sensing, no la-la land baloney about a ghost, they were just shooting film and caught this heat signature.  Sorry I couldn't single out the image for you.  This was decent though.  Let me go see if I can find that article again, about the testing of the image.

#45    Leftcoastgal

Leftcoastgal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:12 AM

View PostSakari, on 10 February 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

That has been asked and answered numerous times here, in many ways, but all close to the same.......And welcome to UM.
I am opposite, but also answers your question......I am fasciniated by how people can have blind faith, and believe stories with out any doubt....It really is the ignorance that I used to also have that I can not figure out. ... ( and that is not a bad word, or a flame )Almost like the movie about the world with no lying. ( forgot the name of it ).  I also like to help people, and believe it or not, I have helped quite a few people that thought they had something paranormal going on find the true answer, and they were relieved, and thanked me.....I enjoy that a lot. Also, 99.95 of skeptics used to be " believers ", and I am one of the 99.9% ........So, I can say I am open minded, and have walked in both shoes.........

Hi Sakari (hope you don't mind I shorten your post in the interest of the site & it's size and readers and their patience ; - )
Thanks for the welcome.  First off by your closing line I'd guess you had what you thought was a paranormal experience only to study it and determined otherwise? Is that what you mean about walking in both shoes?   Or were you left with a memory of a paranormal event that hasn't neatly been explained away, and concluded that there's a rational, non-phenomenal explanation for it, though it eludes you thus far?  

While there are many who have blind faith, just as they do with religion, I don't consider myself one of them in most areas.  There are areas I do extend my faith to. Spiritually, I'm fine with faith, while avoiding religion adamantly.  I'm fine with life outside Earth & homosapiens as well.  For me it's more like "Of course" than an "are you kidding".  I'm big on doubt at the front end of most stories, I like to investigate them, just as you do I'm sure.

I must admit to being impressed by some of the researchers involved in study and gathering information about the paranormal, esp. that which involves our universe in general, certainly UFO's and ET's.  I mean, these folks are not crazy people, but in fact hold degrees from the most respected institutions of higher learning in the world.  Seriously, not crazies, I'm delighted they research these area of phenomena. (Russia in particular, took interest long ago in psychic phenomena and photographing energies, this sort of thing, U know all this already I'm betting).  Anyway, exciting times this 21st century.  I think we might learn ALOT, you know.... if we don't kill our planet off in the relatively near future.  Thanks for the howdy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users