Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Costa Concordia Disaster

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,275 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:57 AM

www.news.com.au said:

Italian luxury cruise ship Costa Concordia ran aground near a Tuscan island and keeled over on Friday, leaving at least 11 people dead and about two dozen still missing four days later.
Italian luxury cruise ship Costa Concordia ran aground near a Tuscan island and keeled over on Friday, leaving at least 11 people dead and about two dozen still missing four days later.

Posted Image Read more...
The news link gives a timeline of the disaster. I was surprised this had not made UM as yet.

The Captain abandoned ship before the crew and passengers, leaving women and children behind. He was ordered back aboard. - LINK 'What do you want to do, go home? Get back on board' Chivalry never existed in the bloke.

Schettino: Commander, I want to go on board, but it is simply that the other boat here there are other rescuers. It has stopped and is waiting ...
De Falco: It has been an hour that you have been telling me the same thing. Now, go on board. Go on board! And then tell me immediately how many people there are there.
Schettino: OK, commander.
De Falco: Go, immediately!

Deplorable behavior to leave women and children to sink with the ship, the disaster has been likened to the Titanic. Surely this captain will have a list of charges so long he will never see the outside of a prison again. And who would foot that insurance bill? It looks as though salvage is not an option.

So far 11 dead, 24 missing. What a nightmare. Now there is a threat that fuel will leak out, and kill local sea life. I think we will be hearing about this for a while yet.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#2    sestra15

sestra15

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:48 PM

Two major incidents in recent years revealed cowardly captains who fled the ship before passengers were helped off. Remember the one where the entertainment crew, headed by the Cruise Director, assisted passengers while the captain watched from the safety of a rescue boat? He had to conduct rescue operations there, so he said. Do modern captains only want the glitz and glamour, but none of the responsibility?

#3    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,275 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:49 AM

View Postsestra15, on 18 January 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

Two major incidents in recent years revealed cowardly captains who fled the ship before passengers were helped off. Remember the one where the entertainment crew, headed by the Cruise Director, assisted passengers while the captain watched from the safety of a rescue boat? He had to conduct rescue operations there, so he said. Do modern captains only want the glitz and glamour, but none of the responsibility?

I had not heard of that one, I must look it up.

It sure seems a long way fro the courageous captain going down with his ship. The Coast Guard was not taking his reluctance lightly though.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#4    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,275 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:00 AM

No wonder it has been likened to the Titanic.

Titanic theme song played as cruise ship Costa Concordia sank, survivors claim

To be honest, I find that a little bizarre.

#5    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:45 AM

Latest on the BBC World News today. The captain now says he accidentally fell into the lifeboat as it was being lowered into the sea!   :unsure2:

#6    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:32 AM

If they ran aground, they could have survived.  I heard yesterday that they had not yet taught the passengers what to do in an emergency. I imagine they felt that such a disaster could never happen.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#7    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,275 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:52 AM

View PostEnglishgent, on 19 January 2012 - 03:45 AM, said:

Latest on the BBC World News today. The captain now says he accidentally fell into the lifeboat as it was being lowered into the sea!   :unsure2:

Yeah, that happens to me all the time!

#8    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 18 January 2012 - 04:57 AM, said:

The news link gives a timeline of the disaster. I was surprised this had not made UM as yet.

The Captain abandoned ship before the crew and passengers, leaving women and children behind. He was ordered back aboard. - LINK 'What do you want to do, go home? Get back on board' Chivalry never existed in the bloke.

I am glad you posted this.. I was going to post it myself, but searched to see if anyone had yet...

When I read this on the front of  The Mirror yesterday.. I was shocked...  The recording were released as ...

Here is the  transcript of Schettino's conversation with Captain De Falco.

De Falco: "This is De Falco speaking from Livorno. Am I speaking with the commander?"

Schettino: "Yes. Good evening, Cmdr. De Falco."

De Falco: "Please tell me your name."

Schettino: "I'm Cmdr. Schettino, commander."

De Falco: "Schettino? Listen Schettino. There are people trapped on board. Now you go with your boat under the prow on the starboard side. There is a pilot ladder. You will climb that ladder and go on board. You go on board and then you will tell me how many people there are. Is that clear? I'm recording this conversation, Cmdr. Schettino..."

Schettino: "Commander, let me tell you one thing..."

De Falco: "Speak up! Put your hand in front of the microphone and speak more loudly, is that clear?"

Schettino: "In this moment, the boat is tipping..."

De Falco: "I understand that, listen, there are people that are coming down the pilot ladder of the prow. You go up that pilot ladder, get on that ship and tell me how many people are still on board.... And what they need. Is that clear? ...You need to tell me if there are children, women or people in need of assistance..... And tell me the exact number of each of these categories. Is that clear?

Listen Schettino, that you saved yourself from the sea, but I am going to... I'm going to make sure you get in trouble. ...I am going to make you pay for this. Go on board, (expletive)!"

Schettino: "Commander, please..."

De Falco: "No, please. You now get up and go on board. They are telling me that on board there are still..."

The rest of this recording can be read in here http://www.mirror.co...15875-23706966/

This captain is going away for a long time.. He is lucky they no long hang you for what he did..

A captain of any ship is not meant to get off before others.. if the worst should happen, the captain of the ship must go down with his ship... That is their rule and ethic code to stand by...  

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 19 January 2012 - 01:18 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#9    Robbie333

Robbie333

"Seek and you shall find"

• 2,790 posts

• Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there; I do not sleep.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 19 January 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

I am glad you posted this.. I was going to post it myself, but searched to see if anyone had yet...

When I read this on the front of  The Mirror yesterday.. I was shocked...  The recording were released as ...

Here is the  transcript of Schettino's conversation with Captain De Falco.

De Falco: "This is De Falco speaking from Livorno. Am I speaking with the commander?"

Schettino: "Yes. Good evening, Cmdr. De Falco."

De Falco: "Please tell me your name."

Schettino: "I'm Cmdr. Schettino, commander."

De Falco: "Schettino? Listen Schettino. There are people trapped on board. Now you go with your boat under the prow on the starboard side. There is a pilot ladder. You will climb that ladder and go on board. You go on board and then you will tell me how many people there are. Is that clear? I'm recording this conversation, Cmdr. Schettino..."

Schettino: "Commander, let me tell you one thing..."

De Falco: "Speak up! Put your hand in front of the microphone and speak more loudly, is that clear?"

Schettino: "In this moment, the boat is tipping..."

De Falco: "I understand that, listen, there are people that are coming down the pilot ladder of the prow. You go up that pilot ladder, get on that ship and tell me how many people are still on board.... And what they need. Is that clear? ...You need to tell me if there are children, women or people in need of assistance..... And tell me the exact number of each of these categories. Is that clear?

Listen Schettino, that you saved yourself from the sea, but I am going to... I'm going to make sure you get in trouble. ...I am going to make you pay for this. Go on board, (expletive)!"

Schettino: "Commander, please..."

De Falco: "No, please. You now get up and go on board. They are telling me that on board there are still..."

The rest of this recording can be read in here http://www.mirror.co...15875-23706966/

This captain is going away for a long time.. He is lucky they no long hang you for what he did..

A captain of any ship is not meant to get off before others.. if the worst should happen, the captain of the ship must go down with his ship... That is their rule and ethic code to stand by...  

I agree. This spineless man knew women and children were on board and left? Any real man, or human being would have stayed to help. Captain or not. This man is a cheesy low life whom needs to face his charges. One thing for sure. This will, or should, change the whole ballgame, so to speak. I have only been on two cruises--civilian-- and they are nothing but a rip off at sea. Lots of food and drink I will say but dirty condions on one turned me off. I had an Indonisian boy attempt to sell me drugs on board. " Hey man, need pills, pot, girls? I reported him and never ever heard another word. Cheesy these cruises are. Maybe not all but most are all about $$$

Robbie James

#10    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,091 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

the comprisons to the Titanic are... well, nothing at all, really. 1,514 went down with the Titanic. Even though she went down relatively slowly, on an even keel. But at least Captain Smith's behaviour, after she hit the berg at any rate, was irreproachable.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#11    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

He is a coward.  But I am not so concerned.  What is he supposed to do when the boat is tipped on its side?  Of course it would be nice if he was a hero.  But the man sounded terrified.  Not everyone can be a hero.  If he panicked he panicked.  Focusing on him as a witch hunt is a mob mentality.  I don't think any captain should be forced to go down with his ship.   That's sickening to even suggest.  Everyone who could get off should have gotten off.  Imagine if you had gotten off and then been told to go back on.   Some people could do it.  Some people could not.  The whole incident was a disaster and a tragedy.  But as I read, it said the power surged on the boat. Which caused it to crash.  So this is why it crashed.  It is not the captains fault.  So far.

Edited by Cassea, 19 January 2012 - 04:09 PM.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#12    Robbie333

Robbie333

• 2,790 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

View PostCassea, on 19 January 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

He is a coward.  But I am not so concerned.  What is he supposed to do when the boat is tipped on its side?  Of course it would be nice if he was a hero.  But the man sounded terrified.  Not everyone can be a hero.  If he panicked he panicked.  Focusing on him as a witch hunt is a mob mentality.  I don't think any captain should be forced to go down with his ship.   That's sickening to even suggest.  Everyone who could get off should have gotten off.  Imagine if you had gotten off and then been told to go back on.   Some people could do it.  Some people could not.  The whole incident was a disaster and a tragedy.  But as I read, it said the power surged on the boat. Which caused it to crash.  So this is why it crashed.  It is not the captains fault.  So far.

What a minute C. He went of course to satisfy a friends need to show of the boat. He was off course. The Captain of any ship is --by law--supposed to help in any way he can and stay aboard the ship until the last man, woman and child has either escaped or died. Here are some Maritime rules.   http://www.imo.org/a...las),-1974.aspx

I do not think the captain was the only offence in this terrible accident. Poor equipment and training were as much a problem as his poor judgement. I think the court time will be very extensive in this case and new rules will abound. JMO

Edited by Robbie333, 19 January 2012 - 04:26 PM.

Robbie James

#13    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

I don't know what you mean.  Yes he's a coward. Do you see the first sentence in my post.  However to say that he should go down with his ship is sickening.  He's a coward and he didn't act heroically. But I can understand that not everyone can be a hero. Some people just can't handle it.  The Titanic didn't turn on it's side.  There were people trapped because it turned on its side and filled with water.  How is he supposed to do anything for those people at all?  He's a boat captain not a rescue hero.  So I can understand his panic.  I just don't understand this desire for his death.  He will be prosecuted of course.

#14    Robbie333

Robbie333

• 2,790 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostCassea, on 19 January 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

I don't know what you mean.  Yes he's a coward. Do you see the first sentence in my post.  However to say that he should go down with his ship is sickening.  He's a coward and he didn't act heroically. But I can understand that not everyone can be a hero. Some people just can't handle it.  The Titanic didn't turn on it's side.  There were people trapped because it turned on its side and filled with water.  How is he supposed to do anything for those people at all?  He's a boat captain not a rescue hero.  So I can understand his panic.  I just don't understand this desire for his death.  He will be prosecuted of course.

Oh, I do not think he should be put to death. I do think he should lose his captains license forever. I understand not everyone is a hero nor can be but to me, any human being would stay to help people in trouble but that is just my opinion. I am not being hard nosed about this but I guess I just do not understand how he could leave and not help.

Edited by Robbie333, 19 January 2012 - 04:36 PM.

Robbie James

#15    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

View PostRobbie333, on 19 January 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

Oh, I do not think he should be put to death. I do think he should lose his captains license forever. I understand not everyone is a hero nor can be but to me, any human being would stay to help people in trouble but that is just my opinion. I am not being hard nosed about this but I guess I just do not understand how he could leave and not help.

I didn't know he took the ship off course.  I read that there was a power surge and then they had no control of the ship. For now it's too soon to know I guess.  When I saw how quickly it went to it's side I could understand people just jumping off the boat. It was near a shore in not icy cold waters.  People should have been about to get out.  But if they were trapped, the likelihood that he would be able to do anything would have been nil.   At the same time he should have taken over the scene and even just stayed to help guild the actions or direct rescuers.  This man is going to have a sad life now.  He will never live this down.  I feel so bad for the people involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users