Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Amanda Renee Cope

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    thedutchiedutch

thedutchiedutch

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

• One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain.
    Bob Marley

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

Was watching Dateline yesterday about this case and found
this web site with the full transcript of the trial.

This case begs the question whether this poor girls father is guilty or not.

Here is a little inside about the case.

Amanda Renee Cope went to bed a twelve year old little girl, and died a brutal death before her father and sisters awoke in the morning to begin their day.
Amanda was found strangled and raped in her bed Nov. 29, 2001. Her father, Billy Wayne Cope, was jailed the next day on murder and criminal sexual conduct charges.

Thanks to DNA evidence, police later also linked James Edward Sanders, 44, to the case.
James Edward Sanders was released from prison not long before the Cope's lay down to bed that fateful night.  When the prosecution realized this, they charged Billy Wayne Cope with conspiring with James Edward Sanders.
They claimed Billy allowed the horrendous acts to be committed upon his daughter.  

Police say DNA also links Sanders to the rape of a 60-year-old woman and that he was involved in four home break-ins around the time Amanda Cope was killed.

Police now have added a conspiracy to commit criminal sexual conduct charge against Billy Cope.

But there is no connection between Sanders and Billy Cope, Cope's lawyer, Phil Baity of Fort Mill, said.

Cope's DNA does not match the DNA taken from Amanda Cope, but Sanders' does, Baity said.
Police would not discuss whether Cope's DNA was found on his daughter's body.

"The only scientific evidence in this case implicates Mr. Sanders," Baity said.

Sanders lived less than two blocks from the Copes when Amanda died.

Two months after Amanda Cope's death, her mother, Mary Sue Cope, died of an infection while recovering from major surgery. Two other children in the family have been living with relatives in Mitchell County, N.C.

Edited by thedutchiedutch, 22 January 2012 - 10:08 PM.

So do I have time for a last smoke and a pancake or what?

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,428 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

View Postthedutchiedutch, on 22 January 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

Two months after Amanda Cope's death, her mother, Mary Sue Cope, died of an infection while recovering from major surgery.
Did the police blame that on the father as well?

#3    thedutchiedutch

thedutchiedutch

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Bob Marley

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:45 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 22 January 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

Did the police blame that on the father as well?

Yeah no kidding eh. Seems like because they could not find any break and enter evidence, the father must have been involved in this tragic crime.

#4    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 5,990 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:11 AM

What a shocking set of events - I'm recanting the rest of my statements after checking out the transcipts on that link though, it appears the father did do it.

Edited by libstaK, 23 January 2012 - 01:41 AM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#5    crime solver

crime solver

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:43 AM

The only thing I found strange was that Amanda was analy raped with (most likely) a broom according to the
tesimony of the coroner. That was not mentioned in date line, only that a broom with dna was never located. You have to believe that Cope gleaned that
info from the interogators and used it in his reenactment of the crime, if you want to believe him innocent. I would like to know if Sanders did something similiar to his 60 year old victim. I believe Cope is innocent btw and Sanders acted alone.

#6    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 5,990 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:13 AM

View Postcrime solver, on 23 January 2012 - 01:43 AM, said:

The only thing I found strange was that Amanda was analy raped with (most likely) a broom according to the
tesimony of the coroner. That was not mentioned in date line, only that a broom with dna was never located. You have to believe that Cope gleaned that
info from the interogators and used it in his reenactment of the crime, if you want to believe him innocent. I would like to know if Sanders did something similiar to his 60 year old victim. I believe Cope is innocent btw and Sanders acted alone.

Did you look at the evidence in the link?  Amanda was not just raped this one time, there was evidence that the condition in her anal and vaginal areas were "chronic" aka: due to repeated rapes muscles in both areas had relaxed/stretched.

She had NO evidence of residual hymen after this night, inspite of the fact that five years previously an examination showed an intact hymen.  The defence tried to argue that she may have been born without a hymen - which blatantly goes against the evidence of her examination 5 years previous.  If she had only been raped the once- that night, then there should have been pieces of hymen/residual tissue somewhere in the vicinity - there was none, the hymen was just gone and no hint of where it had been remained aka: that area had at some point previously healed - which all leads to evidence multiple assualts/molestation over a period of time.

I thought at first, he must have been railroaded but on balance I think now he is guilty.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#7    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

Makes me wanna cry!  :cry:

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#8    thedutchiedutch

thedutchiedutch

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Bob Marley

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:12 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 23 January 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

Did you look at the evidence in the link?  Amanda was not just raped this one time, there was evidence that the condition in her anal and vaginal areas were "chronic" aka: due to repeated rapes muscles in both areas had relaxed/stretched.

She had NO evidence of residual hymen after this night, inspite of the fact that five years previously an examination showed an intact hymen.  The defence tried to argue that she may have been born without a hymen - which blatantly goes against the evidence of her examination 5 years previous.  If she had only been raped the once- that night, then there should have been pieces of hymen/residual tissue somewhere in the vicinity - there was none, the hymen was just gone and no hint of where it had been remained aka: that area had at some point previously healed - which all leads to evidence multiple assualts/molestation over a period of time.

I thought at first, he must have been railroaded but on balance I think now he is guilty.

That is shocking. No, have not read the whole evidence/transcript yet. Like Mentalcase mentioned, makes me wanna cry as well. No wonder the prosecution keeps pondering that Billy is guilty as sin. Very, very sad case.

Edited by thedutchiedutch, 23 January 2012 - 11:13 PM.

#9    Believer of innocents

Believer of innocents

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

I thank God that you people aren't on this mans jury. He didnt kill his daughter and there is no evidence that he did other then the forced confessions that the faulty police department corded him to do. You people could not say that if you were under scrutiny like that for hours at a time being manipulated by the police and everything you said was twisted and made out to fit their theory that you wouldn't do the same. They lied about everything because they didnt want to face the public that they had made a serious mistake about an innocent man and that is why I absolutely do not trust law i forcemeat at all because they can do and say whatever they want to you and about you and always get away with it. This man is innocent.

#10    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,785 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Somehow I think Believer of innocents is a friend of the defendant.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#11    draugr

draugr

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 50 posts

• It's a secret to everybody.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

View PostLady Kasey, on 29 January 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

Somehow I think Believer of innocents is a friend of the defendant.

Whyever would you think that?  :innocent:

Seriously, though, with that physical evidence - which is horrifying to even contemplate, how could you not think he's guilty.

#12    regi

regi

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

This case is probably the strangest case I've ever come across.

What bothers me the most is that there's DNA from the other man, but Cope's confession(s) didn't implicate the other man. So, either we believe Cope's confession(s), or we believe the DNA.

#13    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,785 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

DNA doesn't lie.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#14    draugr

draugr

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 50 posts

• It's a secret to everybody.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

View Postregi, on 30 January 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

This case is probably the strangest case I've ever come across.

What bothers me the most is that there's DNA from the other man, but Cope's confession(s) didn't implicate the other man. So, either we believe Cope's confession(s), or we believe the DNA.

Then there's this way, which is something that just occurred to me.  Her exams showed chronic sexual abuse, but the only DNA that was found came from Sanders, at least for that particular time.  For all we know, Dad and Sanders had some kind of deal or something going on, which might be why Dad didn't implicate him, because it would make him an accessory, regardless.

#15    regi

regi

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

That's an interesting suggestion, draugr, but so far, I'm not aware of any evidence that Cope and Sanders even knew each other.
I fail to see a motive for such an "arrangement" between those two men, and Greg McCrary- a former FBI criminal profiler- testified that he didn't know of such a case.
The main thing is, there needs to be evidence and I don't know of any.

I don't dismiss the ME's opinion re: chronic abuse, but if I follow the evidence re: the murder, it doesn't support the confession, which is actually the definition of a false confession.

Authorities have to be very careful during their interrogations not to inadvertantly feed POI's details of the crime so that they can  be sure that what they're being told is true and accurate.
It appears that that could have likely happened in this case because before taking Cope down for questing, authorities told Cope that they wanted to talk to him about what the ME found.
The main thing is, authorities later learned that the confession was blatantly false, but regardless, they still considered it a confession.
In actuality, they never got one.

I'm still reading through the trial testimony (over 3,100 pages!, so it's time consuming :td: ), and I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can about this case.

Edited by regi, 31 January 2013 - 01:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users